Richard Borshay Lee
Richard Borshay Lee (born 1937) is a Canadian anthropologist. Lee has studied at the University of Toronto and University of California, Berkeley, where he received a Ph.D. Presently, he holds a position at the University of Toronto as Professor Emeritus of Anthropology. Lee is also currently researching issues concerning the indigenous people of Botswana and Namibia, particularly their ecology and history.
Lee co-edited with Richard DalyThe Cambridge Encyclopedia of Hunter-Gatherers , which was first published in 1999. In 2003, Anthropologica, the journal of the Canadian Anthropology Society, dedicated an issue to Lee's oeuvre. In 2011 he co-authored the children's book Africans Thought of It: Amazing Innovations with Bathseba Opini, Ph.D..
- Subsistence Ecology of !Kung Bushmen (1965), PhD Dissertation, University of California, Berkeley.
- Hunter-gatherers in process: The Kalahari Research Project, 1963-76 (1978), in G. Foster et al. (Eds.), Long-term field research in social anthropology (pp. 303-321). New York: Academic Publishing.
- The !Kung San: Men, Women and Work in a Foraging Society (1979), Cambridge and New York: Cambridge University Press. Chapter 9 available here
- Anthropology at the crossroads: From the age of ethnography to the age of world systems (1998), Social Dynamics 24(1), 34-65.
- The Cambridge Encyclopedia of Hunter-Gatherers(1999), Cambridge: Cambridge University Press.
- Indigenous rights and the politics of identity in post-apartheid southern Africa (2003), in B. Dean & J. M. Levi (Eds.), At the risk of being heard: Identity, indigenous rights, and postcolonial states (pp. 80-111). Ann Arbor, MI: University of Michigan Press.
- The Dobe Ju/'hoansi (2003), 3rd ed., Thomson Learning/Wadsworth.
- Power and property in twenty-first century foragers: A critical examination (2004), in T. Widlok & T. Wolde, (Eds.), Power and equality: Encapsulation, commercialization, discrimination (pp. 16-31). Oxford: Berg Publishing.
- Africans Thought of It: Amazing Innovations (2011)
- Collection of publications and pictures by Dr. Lee, Richard B.
- 1980 Anisfield-Wolf Book Award for The !Kung San: Men, Women, and Work in a Foraging Society
- 1980 Herskovits Award of the African Studies Association for The !Kung San: Men, Women, and Work in a Foraging Society
- Anthropologica Vol. 45 No. 1, 2003
- Expanded Bibliography by Jacqueline Solway
- Biography of Richard Lee