Richard Eleftherios Boyatzis (born 1946) is an American organizational theorist and professor of Organizational Behavior at Case Western Reserve University, and expert in the field of emotional intelligence, behavior change, and competence. He made major contributions to the theory of human resource Competence starting with his pioneering study of The Competent Manager (1982).
Boyatzis received his BA in Aeronautics and Astronautics from the Massachusetts Institute of Technology in 1968, and his MA in 1970 and PhD in 1973, both in Social Psychology from Harvard University. He started his career late 1960s as psychologist for the Veterans Administration. After three years as researcher and consultant at a market research company in 1976 he became director at the consulting firm McBer and Company, now part of Hay Group. In 1987 he became Associate Professor and in 1991 Professor at Case Western.
Boyatzis has published some 150 books and articles in the areas of emotional intelligence, behavior change, competencies and leadership. Books:
- 1982. Competent manager : a model for effective performance
- 1995. Innovation in professional education : steps on a journey from teaching to learning : the story of change and invention at the Weatherhead School of Management
- 1998. Transforming qualitative information : thematic analysis and code development
- 2005. Resonant Leadership : renewing yourself and connecting with others through mindfulness, hope, and compassion
- 2002. Primal leadership : realizing the power of emotional intelligence with Daniel Goleman & Annie McKee.
- 2008. Becoming a resonant leader : develop your emotional intelligence, renew your relationships, sustain your effectiveness. With Annie McKee & Frances Johnston.
- George Thomas Kurian (2013) The AMA Dictionary of Business and Management. p. 36
- Raymond Caldwell (2010) "Are HR Business Partner Competency Models Effective?". in: Applied H.R.M. Research, 2010, Volume 12, Number 1, pages 40-58.
- RICHARD E. BOYATZIS at bus.umich.edu, 2004
- Richard Boyatzis, Ph.D. Personal page at EI Consortium, 2013
|Wikiquote has a collection of quotations related to: Richard Boyatzis|