|Born||1961 (age 53–54)
|Alma mater||Makerere University
Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
Henley Management College
|Years active||1983 — present|
|Known for||Business, Management|
|Title||Managing Director & CEO
Richard Patrick Byarugaba is a Ugandan business executive, banker, and entrepreneur. He is the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of National Social Security Fund (Uganda), a semi-autonomous retirement pension organisation for non-government employees in Uganda. He is also listed as one of the wealthiest individuals in Uganda.
Background and education
Byarugaba was born in 1961 in the Western Region of Uganda. He attended Makerere University, Uganda's oldest public institution of tertiary education, graduating with a degree in Statistics and Economics. He is a qualified accountant with the Association of Chartered Certified Accountants of the United Kingdom (UK). He holds a diploma in management as well, from Henley Management College, also in the UK.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (December 2014)|
Byarugaba has held various positions over the years, with the majority in Uganda's banking sector. He started as a banking officer at Standard Chartered Bank (Uganda) (Stanchart), in 1983. By 1992, he had risen to Executive Director for Finance at Stanchart. In 1994, he was transferred to Standard Chartered Bank's international headquarters in London, as the Regional Manager for Finance, responsible for Africa.
He returned to Uganda in 1997, where he joined Nile Bank Limited, a private retail bank. He became Managing Director of the bank in 2003. In 2007, Barclays, the British financial conglomerate, bought all the shares of Nile Bank Limited for US $27 million (UGX:52 billion). The new owners merged the bank with their existing banking interests in the country to form the existing Barclays Bank (Uganda). Byarugaba moved to Baclays Bank (Uganda), as the Chief Operating Officer.
In 2008, when Global Trust Bank (Uganda) was established, the new owners appointed Byarugaba as Managing Director of the newly created bank. He held that position until 2010 when he left to take up appointment as the Managing Director and Chief Executive Officer of National Social Security Fund (Uganda).
Byarugaba has also worked with Hospice Africa, the Palliative Care Association of Uganda, and the Uganda Institute of Banking and Financial Services. When he resigned from Global Trust Bank, he was the Treasurer of the Uganda Bankers Association.
Byarugaba is married with children.
- Mwesigwa, Alon (30 October 2014). "Byarugaba's Great Expectations". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 11 December 2014.
- Wakabi, Michael (8 November 2014). "Is Richard Byarugaba Walking A Tightrope At NSSF Uganda?". The EastAfrican (Nairobi). Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- Michael Kanaabi, and Ssebidde Kiryowa (6 January 2012). "The Deepest Pockets". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- Musoke, Cyprian (22 July 2010). "Social Security Fund Gets New Boss". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- Kajoba, Nicholas (7 December 2008). "Byarugaba Is Global Trust Bank's Managing Director". New Vision (Kampala). Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- Lumu, D.T. (18 March 2011). "New NSSF Boss Begins To Feel Heat". The Observer (Uganda). Retrieved 8 November 2014.
- Ladu, Ismail Musa (11 October 2011). "Byarugaba Advises On Cost of Banking". Daily Monitor (Kampala). Retrieved 8 November 2014.