||This biographical article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2008)|
November 17, 1966 |
St. Louis, Missouri
|Genres||Hard rock, alternative rock, post-punk, heavy metal, new wave|
|Occupation(s)||Musician, guitarist, songwriter, producer|
|Instruments||Guitar, vocals, bass guitar, drums, violin|
|Associated acts||Guns N' Roses, Love Spit Love, The Psychedelic Furs, Nena, X Japan, Thin Lizzy, Gravity Kills|
|Website||4tus.com Official Website of Richard Fortus|
Richard Fortus (born November 17, 1966) is a professional guitarist who gained acclaim as one of the guitarists in Guns N' Roses. He has also played in bands of his own, performed solo, and as both a member or a session musician with other hard rock ventures, the most recent of these is as the new lead guitarist for Thin Lizzy.
Originally from St. Louis, Missouri, Fortus played throughout the Midwest with his band, The Eyes. The four-piece alternative band independently released "Freedom in a Cage", which was produced by David Probst. After signing with Atlantic Records, they changed their name to Pale Divine. They subsequently toured the U.S. in support of their only album, Straight to Goodbye, opening for The Psychedelic Furs.
After The Psychedelic Furs split up, Fortus formed Love Spit Love with Richard and Tim Butler. When The Furs reformed in 2000, Fortus joined the group as second guitarist and played on the live album Beautiful Chaos: Greatest Hits Live.[clarification needed]
In 2001, Fortus became a member of Guns N' Roses, replacing Paul Tobias. In Guns N' Roses, Richard plays both rhythm and occasional lead guitar. Rose is very pleased with Richard's work and has said, "He's an amazing lead player and very technically skilled. He really likes the pocket that Brain sets and the two of them click with Tommy so we finally have the real deal rhythm section, as Richard is a proven professional. Basically, Richard's the guy that we always were looking for."
On November 5, 2005, Richard's wife, Jen Fortus, gave birth to a daughter. Her name is Paisley Piper Fortus
In 2008 he joined the Danish rock/pop band, The Storm, on their tour. Fortus played guitar on their first record, "Where The Storm Meets The Ground", and is a personal friend of leadsinger Pernille Rosendahl and leadguitarist Johan Wohlert.
He has also collaborated with Norwegian singer-songwriter Lásse Kvernmo in a project called Sáivo.
In 2013 Fortus has joined The Dead Daisies new line-up with the likes of Jon Stevens and Dave Lowy. They have released 2 singles "Lock N Load" (featuring Slash) and "Washington", their debut album "The Dead Daisies" was released on 9 August 2013.
Richard uses the listed equipment for the Guns N' Roses 2012 Club Tour 
- 1968 Gibson Les Paul Custom Reissue Black
- 1958 Gibson Les Paul Goldtop
- Gibson ES-355 White
- Custom Shop Gibson Les Paul Baritone Distressed Black
- Gibson ES-135 Black w/ Graphics
- Gretsch Chet Atkins Red w/ Single Bridge Pickup
- James Trussart SteelCaster
- James Trussart SteelDeville "Worn"
- James Trussart SteelDeville "Polished"
- Taylor Acoustic Guitars
- Egnater M4 Modular Preamp
- Randall RT2/50 Power Amp
- Marshall EL34 100/100 Power Amp (Modified by Voodoo Amps)
- Marshall 1973 SLP modded by Jose Arredondo
- Marshall SLP modded by Voodo Amps to replicate his Jose-modded amp
- Motherload Elemental Cabinet Simulator
- Hermit Cab Custom Isolation Cabinets w/ Celestion Alnico Gold speakers
- Electro-Harmonix HOG Harmonic Generator
- Boss Hyper Fuzz Distortion
- MXR Phase 90 Scripted Logo Phaser
- DOD FX25 Envelope Filter
- Hiwatt Custom Tape Echo
- Dunlop Cry Baby Rackmount Wah
- TC Electronic G-Major 2 Effect Processors
- Yamaha AG Stomp Acoustic Effect Processor
- Fishman Aura Spectrum Acoustic DI
- Prescription electronics Vibe Unit
- Xotic RC Booster Clean Boost
- Strymon OB.1 Compressor
- Arion Stereo Chorus
- Pigtronix Echolution Delay
- Lovepedal Eternity Overdrive
- Emma discumBOBulator Envelope Filter
- Access Electronics FX1 MIDI Footcontroller
- Lindy Fralin, Jason Lollar, Arcane pickups and RS Guitar Works electronics
- RotoSound .10 - .52 gauge strings
- 4tus.com - Official Website of Richard Fortus
- thedeaddaisies.com - Official Website of The Dead Daisies