Richard Harrington (politician)
|Member of Parliament
6 May 2010
|Preceded by||Claire Ward|
4 November 1957 |
Leeds, West Riding of Yorkshire, England
|Alma mater||Keble College, Oxford|
Richard I. Harrington (4 November 1957) is a British Conservative Party politician, businessman, and former property developer and hotelier. Since the 2010 general election he has been the Member of Parliament (MP) for Watford.
Harrington was born on 4 November 1957 in Leeds to a British Jewish family, and educated at Leeds Grammar School and Keble College, Oxford University, where he studied Jurisprudence. While at Oxford, he sat on the Executive Board of the Federation of Conservative Students and was a member of the National Union Executive of the Party. He began his career in business with a graduate scheme at the John Lewis Partnership, where he eventually became the assistant to the managing director of Waitrose after a long stint at Trewins in Watford.
In 1983 he founded Harvington Properties, a property development company, with 2 friends from University. In 1990, Harrington became a shareholder and managing director of a company active in the development, sales and management of holiday resorts in both the UK and Europe. The company was sold to a listed American company at the end of the decade. Harrington stayed on as chairman until 2000. When he left, the company employed more than 2,000 people.
Harrington is a long-time member of the Conservative Party, in which he has played an active part since 1983, and supporter of Kenneth Clarke. Until March 2010 he was chairman of the Executive Board of the Conservative Friends of Israel, which, during his tenure, had quadrupled in size financially. He was appointed a treasurer of the Conservative Party in 2008, the role in which he launched the Number 10 Club with Sir John Major.
Since his election Richard has also been elected as General Secretary of the All Party Kashmir Group, Vice Chairman of the All Party Parliamentary Film Group, and a member of the International Development Select Committee.
Richard has run a number of successful community projects in Watford including three Jobs Fairs and a Community Exchange. His main areas of interest are cutting local unemployment, supporting business in the constituency and progressing the significant infrastructure projects in Watford including the Croxley Rail Link and the Watford Health Campus.
In September 2012 Richard was appointed as a Vice Chairman of the Conservative Party.
In the 2012/ 2013 Parliamentary Session Richard Harrington successfully brought in a Private Members Bill to criminalise the unlawful subletting of social housing property.
In June 2010 he supported and signed an early day motion in support of the continuation of National Health Service funding for homeopathy, the motion was sponsored by Conservative MP David Tredinnick.
He has been married for 26 years to Jessie. They have two sons James and Daniel. They live in Watford.
- Sheila Hamilton, "He's welcomed biggest stars on earth to Glasgow - now Stephen faces new challenge", Evening Times, Glasgow, 22 April 2006.
- Jessica Elgot. "New Jewish ministers and the Miliband rivalry". The Jewish Chronicle.
- "Richard Harrington - Parliamentary Candidate for Watford". Conservative Party (UK). Retrieved 7 May 2010.
- "Share pair save hotel", Daily Mirror, London, 27 July 2002.
- Independent Auditors' Report to the Members, The Variety Club Children's Charity.
- Rebecca Paveley, "The Lost Voters Who Prefer Clarke", Daily Mail, London, 10 August 2001.
- Donor Clubs, Conservative Party website.
- "25 May 2010". Parliamentary Debates (Hansard) (House of Commons). col. 80–82.
- "Richard Harrington, Mark Spencer and David Morris are the first of the 2010 Conservative intake to make their maiden speeches". Conservative Home. Retrieved 26 May 2010.
- Tredinnick, David (2010-06-29). "Early Day Motion #284 British Medical Association Motions on Homeopathy".
- Richard Harrington MP constituency website
- Richard for Watford campaign website
- Richard Harrington profile at Conservatives.com
- Richard Harrington for Watford MyConservatives.com campaign page
- Watford Conservatives
- Parliamentary voting record at The Public Whip
- Profile at TheyWorkForYou
- Electoral history and profile at The Guardian
- Profile at BBC Democracy Live
- Profile at Westminster Parliamentary Record
- The Register of Members' Financial Interests, House of Commons Publications, at 6 September 2010
|Parliament of the United Kingdom|
|Member of Parliament for Watford
2010 - present