Richard Steven Horvitz
|Richard Steven Horvitz|
Horvitz with autographed Invader Zim picture at JACON 2009 in Orlando, Florida
July 29, 1966 |
Van Nuys, California, U.S.
|Other names||Richard Wood|
Richard Steven Horvitz, also known as Richard Wood, (born July 29, 1966) is an American actor. In the world of animation, he is often cast as neurotic and mentally unstable characters. He is best known for his work as the voice of the original Alpha 5 in Mighty Morphin Power Rangers, Power Rangers Zeo, and Power Rangers Turbo, Razputin in Psychonauts, Billy and his dad Harold in The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy, Grey Matter in Ben 10, Daggett in The Angry Beavers, Bumble in Kinectimals, the title character Zim in Invader Zim, Mouth in Kick Buttowski, and Orthopox in the Destroy All Humans! series.
Horvitz's film career began in 1976 with a Freshen Up Gum commercial, which led to other commercial appearances and several hand modeling jobs. After a brief stint in an off-Broadway production of Oliver!, he went on to make appearances on TV shows such as Kids Incorporated and Safe at Home and movies such as Summer School, How I Got Into College and Deadly Weapon. He also starred as Howie for two seasons on the 1988 syndicated television sitcom The Munsters Today which lasted three years until 1991. Howie was best friend of Marilyn Munster (played by actress Hilary Van Dyke). Starting in 1993, he changed the focus of his career to voice acting, starting with voice of Alpha 5 on the live-action series Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. This is one of Richard's often-forgotten roles that he has performed. From here, he expanded into several other particular voice roles on such animated shows as The Angry Beavers (Daggett), Invader Zim (Zim), Kim Possible, Dave the Barbarian (Ned Frischman), Zatch Bell! (Kanchomé), The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy (Billy, Billy's dad), Ben 10 (Grey Matter), Squirrel Boy (Rodney), and Shorty McShorts' Shorts as Dudley. After his stint as Alpha 5 ended, Horvitz went on to voice a few monsters in other Power Rangers series, and was also the voice of Alpha 7 in the Power Rangers: Wild Force episode, "Forever Red". He also played the main character Razputin in Psychonauts and Orthopox in Destroy All Humans!, Destroy All Humans! 2, and Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon, (not Destroy All Humans! Big Willy Unleashed) in a voice that closely resembles that of Zim (rather, what would happen if Zim adopted an English accent). He has voiced various NPCs in Everquest 2. He also does the voice of the Berserker Darklings in The Darkness, Bumble in Kinectimals, and Kaos in Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure. Richard also plays the character "Green Grapes" in the Fruit of the Loom commercials. In a behind-the-scenes style interview on the first Invader Zim DVD collection, when questioned about how hard it was to do Zim's voice (meaning all the screaming he did), he simply stated "Did I find doing the voice of Zim hard on my voice? How do I put this?...yes." He also claims his favorite line from the entire series is "You! Obey the fist!" from Career Day but his favorite exchange was in Rise of the Zitboy, where Zim angrily yells out "Why was there BACON IN THE SOAP?!".
Horvitz was born, grew up, resides, and currently works in Los Angeles. On the side he also taught voice acting and theater at the California State University, Northridge. He is a friend of Fred Willard, Rob Paulsen, Barry Dennen and Billy West, who voiced Zim in the pilot episode. He lives with his wife, playwright and screenwriter Kristen Lazarian, and their three sons; Cole, Jake, and Wyatt. The couple's oldest of their three sons, Jake Elliot Horvitz, was born April 11, 1997, an event proudly mentioned in one of his shows, The Angry Beavers. He and his wife also wrote "Keeper of the Reaper", an episode of The Grim Adventures of Billy and Mandy.
- Duel Masters - Fritz
- Howl's Moving Castle - Additional Voices
- Pom Poko - Additional Voices
- Zatch Bell! - Kanchome (2005–2006), Additional Voices
- El Tigre: The Adventures of Manny Rivera - Dr. Chipotle Sr., Diego/Dr. Chipotle Jr.
- Ben 10 - Grey Matter, Sublimino, Additional Voices
- Dave the Barbarian - Ned Frischman
- Invader Zim - Zim, Additional Voices
- Kim Possible - Aviarius (in "Go Team Go")
- Squirrel Boy - Rodney J. Squirrel
- Static Shock - Jimmy Osgood (in "Jimmy")
- Gravity Falls - Additional Voices (2014)
- The Angry Beavers - Daggett Beaver
- Rugrats - Various Teenage Characters
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy - Billy, Harold, additional voices
- Underfist: Halloween Bash
- Totally Spies! - Theodor
- Kick Buttowski: Suburban Daredevil - Mouth
- The Mammal Team - Nutbite
- Mqueen Zoom - Professor Shortbody
- Fish Hooks - Ninja
- Dead Meat - Malockawokka
- Codename Kids Next Door - Crayon Boy
- MMPR/PRZ/PRT - Alpha 5 (1993–1997) (voice; credited as Richard Wood, credited in Christmas video as Richard Horvitz)
- Mighty Morphin Power Rangers: The Movie - Alpha 5
- Power Rangers in Space - Datascammer (voice) (1998)
- Power Rangers: Lightspeed Rescue - Smogger (voice) (2000)
- Power Rangers: Time Force - Mantamobile (voice) (2001)
- Power Rangers: Wild Force (Forever Red) - Alpha 7 (2002) (voice; credited as Richard Horvitz)
- Sabrina, the Teenage Witch - Various characters (voice)
- That's So Raven - Teddy: Donna Cabonna's Boyfriend (in "Adventures in Boss-Siting")
- The Adventures of Timmy the Tooth - Sherry the Fairy (voice)
- VR Troopers - "Minotaurbot" (2nd voice) (1995)
- Fruit of the Loom commercials - "Green Grapes"
- Tosh.0 - Fred Willard fan
- Mulan - Additional voices
- Osmosis Jones - Additional voices
- Sabrina Goes to Rome - Stonehenge (voice)
- Snow Dogs - Scooper (dream sequence) (voice)
- EuroTrip - ADR Performer
- Son of the Mask - Masked Otis (voice; shared with Bill Farmer)
- Turbo: A Power Rangers Movie - Alpha 5 (voice)
- Shaolin Soccer - Cheating Team Captain (voice)
- The Informant! - Mark Whitacre's Attorney
- Billy & Mandy's Big Boogey Adventure - Billy, Harold (Billy's Dad)
- Billy & Mandy: Wrath of the Spider Queen - Billy, Caveman (Billy's Dad)
- The Adventures of Galgameth - Kinch
- Summer School - Eakian (class nerd)
- Cats & Dogs - Puppy at barn (uncredited)
- Hop - Additional Voices
- Crazy, Stupid, Love - Extra (Hardware Store Assistant)
- Ape Escape: On The Loose (US) - Spike, Child
- Broken Age - Walt'r, The Space Weaver
- Brütal Legend - Kabbage Boy Guitarist, Jack the Lift-Op, various voices
- Crash of the Titans - Brat Girl, Koo-Ala, Doom-Monkey
- The Darkness - Berserker Darkling
- Destroy All Humans! - Orthopox 13, Suburban Crazy
- Destroy All Humans! 2 - Orthopox 13/Holopox
- Destroy All Humans! Path of the Furon - Holopox (Orthopox 13), Orthopox 14
- EverQuest II - Geredo, Guard Tanglor, Shawdowman, Skeleton, Snorgle Filthwallow, Gerbard the snitch, Cog Burn, Ogobre, Jubbs Tagglefoot, Gubbo Chaley, Farmer Walcott, Turtle
- The Grim Adventures of Billy & Mandy (video game) - Billy, Mogar
- Kinectimals - Bumble
- League of Legends - Ziggs, Rumble
- Mario Super Sluggers - Lakitu
- Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots - PMC Soldiers
- Nicktoons MLB - Zim
- Nicktoons Nitro - Zim
- PlayStation Move Heroes - Lunk
- Prototype 2 - Additional Voices
- Psychonauts - Razputin "Raz" Aquato
- Ratchet & Clank (series) - The Trio of Zoni, Stuart Zurgo, Tharpods, Various Characters
- Resistance: Fall of Man - Slipskull
- Rise of the Argonauts - Sinon
- SpongeBob SquarePants featuring Nicktoons: Globs of Doom - Zim
- Zatch Bell! Mamodo Battles - Kanchome
- Skylanders: Giants - Kaos
- Skylanders: Spyro's Adventure - Kaos
- Skylanders: SwapForce - Kaos
- World of Warcraft: Mists of Pandaria - Fel Imp (Warlock minion), Saboteur Kip'tilak, Kaz'tik the Manipulator
Awards and Nominations
- Nominated - Annie Award for Outstanding Individual Achievement for Voice Acting by a Male Performer in an Animated Television Production for Invader Zim - 2001
- MobileReference (2007). Calendar of Historical Events, Births, Holidays and Observances. MobileReference.
- Williams, Katie (4 September 2013). "Double Fine shows off Broken Age's voice-acting lineup". PC Gamer. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- Hackett, Keisha (July 3, 2013). "Richard Horvitz to join Rikki Simons at Invader Zim Q&A". Teen Link/Florida Sun-Sentinel. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- Bogos, Steven (2 September 2013). "Jack Black Heads Broken Age's Voice Acting Cast". Escapist magazine. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "Richard S Horvitz Filmography". Baseline/All Media Guide. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- Regan, Tatum (Nov 20, 2012). "Mrs. Mannerly (Theater Review)". Edge Boston. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- Haas, Pete (1 September 2013). "Double Fine's Broken Age Cast Includes Jack Black, Jennifer Hale". Cinema Blend. Retrieved 2 September 2013.