Richard II (film)
|Directed by||Rupert Goold|
|Produced by||Pippa Harris
|Screenplay by||Rupert Goold
|Based on||Richard II
by William Shakespeare
|Production company||Neal Street Productions
|Original channel||BBC Two|
Richard II is a 2012 British television film based on William Shakespeare's play of the same name. It is the first of four television adaptations of Shakespeare's second history tetralogy commissioned by BBC Two under the series title The Hollow Crown. Richard II was directed by Rupert Goold, who adapted the screenplay with Ben Power. Ben Whishaw stars as the titular Richard II of England. It was first broadcast on 30 June 2012 on BBC2.
- Ben Whishaw as Richard II of England
- Rory Kinnear as Bolingbroke
- Patrick Stewart as John of Gaunt
- David Suchet as the Duke of York
- David Morrissey as Northumberland
- Tom Hughes as Aumerle
- James Purefoy as Mowbray
- Clémence Poésy as Queen Isabella/Anne
- Lindsay Duncan as the Duchess of York
- Ferdinand Kingsley as Bushy
- Samuel Roukin as Bagot
- Harry Hadden-Paton as Green
- Finbar Lynch as Lord Marshall
- Adrian Schiller as Lord Willoughby
- Peter de Jersey as Lord Ross
- Lucian Msamati as the Bishop of Carlisle
- Richard Bremmer as the Abbot of Westminster
- Tom Goodman-Hill as Sir Stephen Scroop
- Rhodri Miles as the Welsh Captain
- David Bradley as the Gardener
- Simon Trinder as the Gardener's Assistant
- Isabella Laughland as the Queen's Serving Lady
- Daniel Boyd as the Groom
The BBC scheduled the screening of Shakespeare's history plays as part of 2012's Cultural Olympiad, a celebration of British culture coinciding with the 2012 Summer Olympics. Sam Mendes signed up as executive producer to adapt all four of Shakespeare's tetralogy (Richard II, Henry IV Parts I & II, and Henry V) in September 2010. He is joined as executive producer by Pippa Harris (both representing Neal Street Productions), Gareth Neame (NBCUniversal), and Ben Stephenson (BBC).
Richard II was shot entirely on location, including at St David's Cathedral, Pembroke Castle and Packwood House. It completed filming in July 2011. One of the characters in Richard II, the Duchess of Gloucester, is absent from this film adaptation.
- "The Hollow Crown: Richard II". BBC Media Centre. Retrieved 2012-06-15.
- "TV Baftas 2013: all the winners". The Guardian. 12 May 2013. Retrieved 13 May 2013.
- "Liverpool actor David Morrissey to star in new BBC production of Richard II". Liverpool Echo. 2011-05-30. Retrieved 2011-12-30.
- "Sam Mendes for BBC Shakespeare season". BBC News. 2010-09-29. Retrieved 2011-12-30.
- "Cast confirmed for BBC Two's cycle of Shakespeare films" (Press release). BBC Drama Publicity. 2011-11-24. Archived from the original on 2011-12-30. Retrieved 2011-12-30.