Richard J. Codey Arena
The Richard J. Codey Arena at South Mountain (formerly the South Mountain Arena) is an ice hockey and ice skating arena in West Orange, New Jersey as part of the South Mountain Recreation Complex. The arena is named for former Governor of New Jersey Richard Codey. The Codey Arena is owned and operated by the Essex County Department of Park, Recreation, and Cultural Affairs.
South Mountain Arena originally opened in 1958 with the second, smaller rink added in 1983. During 2004 and 2005 the arena underwent major renovations that included a new state-of-the-art lobby for the arena including meeting rooms, a skylight, automatic doors, pro shop, arcade, and concession stand. Another part of the renovation was a new set of dasher boards, Plexiglas, compression system, and seats for Rink 1, as well as a new dehumidifier for Rink 2; it was renamed the Codey Arena upon reopening.
The arena has two NHL-sized skating rinks. The main arena has a seating capacity of 2,500 and the second rink seats approximately 500. From 1986 until the opening of the Prudential Center (which includes a full-size practice rink), the New Jersey Devils used the arena as the team's practice facility. In November 2008 it became home to the Jersey Rockhoppers of the Eastern Professional Hockey League. The arena is also home to the New Jersey Daredevils, a special needs hockey team that has practices and home games at the arena since 2002. The Daredevils play in the (SHI) Special Hockey International League. The New Jersey Devils Youth Hockey club is also based at the arena with more than twenty teams from the beginners entry level to the highly competitive AAA USA Hockey Sanctioned level.
Figure skating 
The arena offers many classes at different levels from toddlers to adults. There are also public sessions available during weekdays and weekends.
Essex Skating Club 
The Essex Skating Club (ESC) is the figure skating club at the arena. The club has more than 300 youth and adult members with winning records at national competitions. A number of coaches at ESC are Worlds and Olympic medalists such as Kay Barsdell, Oleg Bliakhman, Ken Foster and JoJo Starbuck. The Synchroettes are youth synchronized skating teams with winning records including regional champions and the gold medal at the 2010 U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships. In 2012, the Junior-level team of Synchroettes was selected by the U.S. Figure Skating to be part of the Team USA for 2012-13 season to compete in Leon Lurje Trophy international competition in Sweden. The Essex Blades is an adult synchronized skating team which ranked 6th at the 2011 U.S. Synchronized Skating Championships. Bravo! is a Novice Theatre on Ice team which ranked 4th at the 2011 US National Theatre on Ice Competition. In 2012, Bravo! was selected by US Figure Skating to be one of the two Novice teams to represent the United States at the 2013 Nations Cup in Spain.
Other usage 
The arena has been used in non-ice sport tournaments such as Essex County Tournament of high school wrestling, and other events such as graduation ceremonies. The arena is also a site of emergency shelters for the county in the time of natural disasters. Occasionally, a rink is rented out for private entities, for instance, using it as a filming location for a Super Bowl commercial.
- Codey Arena History and Renovation
- The New Jersey Devils Youth Hockey Program, The New Jersey Devils Youth Hockey - accessed January 31, 2012
- RICHARD J. CODEY ARENA AT SOUTH MOUNTAIN, Essex County - accessed January 31, 2012
- About ESC, Essex Skating Club - accessed January 31, 2012
- Coaches at ESC, Essex Skating Club - accessed January 31, 2012
- Synchroettes, Team Del Sol win at U.S. Synchros, Ice Network, March 4, 2010 - accessed January 16, 2012
- "2012-13 INTERNATIONAL COMPETITION SEASON ASSIGNMENTS/RESULTS". U.S. Figure Skating. Retrieved 14 October 2012.
- 2011 US Synchronized Championships, Cleveland Edges Skating Club - accessed January 31, 2012
- 2001 US National Theatre on Ice Competition - Results, Yarmouth Ice Club - accessed January 31, 2012
- "2013 Nations Cup Team Selections". US Figure Skating. Retrieved 23 September 2012.
- Essex County Tournament underway, The Star-Ledger, January 27, 2012 - accessed January 31, 2012
- West Orange High School Graduates 487 Students, The Alternative Press, June 24, 2011 - accessed January 31, 2012
- Latest Updates from South Orange, Millburn, NYC, Montclair, Baristanet, August 26, 2011 - accessed January 31, 2012
- Codey Arena Featured in Super Bowl Commercial with Olympic Star, WestOrange Patch, February 6, 2012 - accessed February 7, 2012
- "Local Debut a Loss For Miss Lieberman". The New York Times. 9 December 1980. p. C16. Retrieved 22 May 2013. "and the mother was in the stands among a crowd of 1100 in the South Mountain Arena, the new home of the New Jersey Gems."