Richard J. Haier
In 1994 he was one of 52 signatories on "Mainstream Science on Intelligence," an editorial written by Linda Gottfredson and published in the Wall Street Journal, which summarized findings from intelligence research, especially as they related to issues raised in The Bell Curve.
His work on the parieto-frontal integration theory (P-FIT) with Rex Jung examines the neuroanatomy of intelligence based on neuro-imaging research.
- Haier RJ, Robinson DL, Braden W, Williams D. Electrical potential of the cerebral cortex and psychometric intelligence. Personality and Individual Differences, 4(6): 591-599, 1983.
- Haier RJ. The end of intelligence research. Intelligence, 14: 371-374, 1990.
- Haier RJ, Benbow C. Gender differences and lateralization in temporal lobe glucose metabolism during mathematical reasoning. Developmental Neuropsychology, 11: 405-414, 1995
- Mansour, CS, Haier RJ, Buchsbaum MS. Gender comparisons of cerebral glucose metabolism during a cognitive task. Personality and Individual Differences, 20(2): 182-191, 1996.
- Haier RJ, White NS, Akire MT. Individual difference in general intelligence correlate to brain function during non-reasoning tasks. Intelligence, 31(5), 429-441, 2003.
- Haier RJ, Jung R, Yeo R, Head K, Alkire MT. Structural brain variation and general intelligence. NeuroImage, 23(1): 425-433, 2004.
- Haier RJ. Brain Imaging Studies of Intelligence: Individual Differences and Neurobiology. In Model of Intelligence: International Perspectives, Edited by RJ Sternberg, J Lautrey, & TI Lubart, Washington DC: American Psychological Association, 2003.
- Haier RJ. Biological Theories of Intelligence. In Introduction to the Psychology of Individual Differences, Edited by R Colom & C FLores-Mendoza, ArtMed Publishers, 2006.
- Haier RJ. Brains, Bias, and Biology: Follow the Data. In Are Sex Differences in Cognition Responsible for the Under-representation of Women in Scientific Careers?, Edited by SJ Ceci * W Williams, APA Books, 2007.
- Haier, RJ, Jung R, Yeo R, Head, K, & Alkire, MT. Structural brain variation, age and response time, Cognitive, Affective, and Behavioral Neuroscience, 5 (2),246-251, 2005.
- Colom, R, Jung, R.E., & Haier, RJ. Distributed Brain Sites for the g-factor of intelligence, NeuroImage, 31,1359-1365, 2006.
- Colom, R, Jung, R.E., & Haier, RJ. Finding the g factor of intelligence in brain structure using the method of correlated vectors, Intelligence, 34, 561-570, 2006.
- Head, E., Lott, IT., Patterson, D., Doran, E. & Haier, RJ. Possible compensatory events in adult Down syndrome brain prior to the development of Alzheimer disease neuropathology: Targets for non-pharmacological intervention. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, Mar;11(1):61-76, 2007.
- Jung R. E. & Haier, R.J., The Parieto-Frontal Integration Theory (P-FIT) of Intelligence: Converging Neuroimaging Evidence. Behavioral and Brain Sciences (target article), 30, 135-187, 2007.
- Haier, R.J. & Jung, R.E. Beautiful Minds (i.e. Brains) and the Neural Basis of Intelligence: Behavioral and Brain Sciences (response to commentaries), 30, 174-187, 2007.
- Colom, R, Jung, R.E., & Haier, RJ. General intelligence and memory span: Evidence for a common neuroanatomic framework. Cognitive Neuropsychology, 24 (8), 867-878, 2007.
- Johnson, W., Jung, RE., Colom, R., & Haier RJ. Cognitive abilities independent of IQ correlate with regional brain structure. Intelligence, 36, 18-28, 2008.
- Haier, RJ, Head, K., Head, E & Lott, IT. Neuroimaging of individuals with Down’s syndrome at-risk for dementia: Evidence for possible compensatory events. NeuroImage, 39 (3), 1324-1332, 2008.
- Haier, RJ & Jung, R. Brain Imaging Studies of Intelligence and Creativity---What is the Picture for Education? Roeper Review (special issue on giftedness and neuroscience), in press
- http://dl.dropbox.com/u/60601361/web/index.html [personal website]