Richard J. Haier
In 1994 he was one of 52 signatories on "Mainstream Science on Intelligence," an editorial written by Linda Gottfredson and published in the Wall Street Journal, which summarized findings from intelligence research, especially as they related to issues raised in The Bell Curve.
His work on the parieto-frontal integration theory (P-FIT) with Rex Jung examines the neuroanatomy of intelligence based on neuro-imaging research.
77. Haier, RJ, White, NS, & Alkire, MT. Individual differences in general intelligence correlate to brain function during non- reasoning tasks, Intelligence, 31 (5), 429-441, 2003.
78. Head, E, Lott, IT, Hof, PR, Su, JH, Kim, R, Haier, RJ & Cotman, CW. Parallel Compensatory and Pathological Events Associated with Tau Pathology in Middle Aged Individuals with Down Syndrome, Journal of Neuropathology and Experimental Neurology, 62 (9), 917-926, 2003.
79. White, NS, Alkire, MT, & Haier, RJ. A voxel-based morphometric study of non-demented adults with Down syndrome, NeuroImage, 20(1), 393-403, 2003.
80. Haier, RJ, Alkire, MT, White, NS, Uncapher, M, Lott, IT, Head, E & Cotman, CW. Temporal cortex hyper-metabolism in Down syndrome prior to the onset of dementia, Neurology, 61, 1673-1679, 2003.
81. Alkire, MT, White, NS, Hsieh, R & Haier, RJ. Functional MRI brain mapping of painful throbbing 5-Hz electrical stimulus intensity responses, Anesthesiology, Apr 100(4):939-46, 2004.
82. Haier, RJ, Jung R, Yeo R, Head, K, & Alkire, MT. Structural brain variation and general intelligence, NeuroImage, 23 (1): 425-433, 2004.
83. Haier, RJ, Jung R, Yeo R, Head, K, & Alkire, MT. The neuroanatomy of general intelligence: sex matters, NeuroImage, 25 (1): 320-327, 2005.
84. Jung, RE, Haier, RJ, Yeo, RA, Petropoulos, H, Levine, AS, Sibbitt, WL, Brooks, W.M. Sex differences in neurochemical mechanisms of general intelligence, NeuroImage, 26 (3), 965-972, 2005.
85. Haier, RJ, Jung RE, Yeo R, Head, K, & Alkire, MT. Structural brain variation, age and response time, Cognitive, Affective, and Behavioral Neuroscience, 5 (2), 246-251, 2005.
86. Colom, R, Jung, RE, & Haier, RJ. Distributed Brain Sites for the g-factor of intelligence, NeuroImage, 31,1359-1365, 2006.
87. Colom, R, Jung, RE, & Haier, RJ. Finding the g factor of intelligence in brain structure using the method of correlated vectors, Intelligence, 34, 561-570, 2006.
88. Head, E, Lott, IT, Patterson, D, Doran, E & Haier, RJ. Possible compensatory events in adult Down syndrome brain prior to the development of Alzheimer disease neuropathology: Targets for non-pharmacological intervention. Journal of Alzheimer's Disease, Mar 11(1):61-76, 2007.
89. Jung RE. & Haier, RJ, The Parieto-Frontal Integration Theory (P-FIT) of Intelligence: Converging Neuroimaging Evidence. Behavioral and Brain Sciences (target article), 30, 135-187, 2007. [This paper was identified by Thomson Reuters Essential Science Indicators as a Fast Breaking Paper in the field of Neuroscience & Behavior, and is one of the most-cited papers (upper 1%) in its discipline during the subsequent two years].
90. Haier, R.J. & Jung, RE. Beautiful Minds (i.e. Brains) and the Neural Basis of Intelligence: Behavioral and Brain Sciences (response to commentaries), 30, 174-187, 2007.
91. Colom, R, Jung, RE., & Haier, RJ. General intelligence and memory span: Evidence for a common neuro-anatomic framework. Cognitive Neuropsychology, 24 (8), 867-878, 2007.
92. Johnson, W., Jung, RE., Colom, R., & Haier RJ. Cognitive abilities independent of IQ correlate with regional brain structure. Intelligence, 36, 18-28, 2008.
93. Haier, RJ, Head, K., Head, E & Lott, IT. Neuroimaging of individuals with Down’s syndrome at-risk for dementia: Evidence for possible compensatory events. NeuroImage, 39(3), 1324-1332, 2008.
94. Haier, RJ & Jung, R. Brain Imaging Studies of Intelligence and Creativity---What is the Picture for Education? Roeper Review (special issue on giftedness and neuroscience), 30:3, 171-180, 2008.
95. Colom R, Haier RJ, Head K, Álvarez-Linera J, Ángeles Quiroga M, Shih PC, & Jung RE. Gray Matter Correlates of Fluid, Crystallized, and Spatial Intelligence: Testing the P-FIT Model, Intelligence, 37(2), 124-135, 2009.
96. Haier RJ, Colom R, Schroeder D, Condon C, Tang C, Eaves E, & Head K. Gray Matter and Intelligence Factors: Is there a neuro-g? Intelligence, 37(2), 136-144, 2009.
97. Karama S, Ad-Dab’bagh Y, Haier RJ, Deary IJ, Lyttelton O, Lepage C, Evans AC and the Brain Development Cooperative Group. Positive association between cognitive ability and cortical thickness in a representative US sample of healthy 6 to 18 year-olds, Intelligence, 37(2), 145-155, 2009.
98. Haier RJ, Karama S, Leyba L & Jung RE. MRI assessment of cortical thickness and functional activity changes in adolescent girls following three months of practice on a visual-spatial task, BMC Research Notes, 2:174, 2009. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1756-0500/2/174 ("highly accessed" paper, over 9,900 hits).
99. Jung RE, Segall J, Buckholt HJ, Flores RA, Smith SM, Chavez RS, & Haier RJ. The neuroanatomy of creativity, Human Brain Mapping, 31(3), 398-409, 2010.
100. Jung RE, Grazioplene R, Caprihan A, Chavez RS, & Haier RJ. White Matter Integrity, Creativity, and Psychopathology: Disentangling Constructs with Diffusion Tensor Imaging. PLoS ONE 5(3), 2010. http://dx.plos.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0009818
101. Tang CY, Eaves EL, Ng J, Carpenter DM, Kanellopoulou I, Mai X, Schroeder DH, Condon CA, Colom R, & Haier RJ. Brain networks for working memory and factors of intelligence assessed in males and females with fMRI and DTI, Intelligence, 38 (3), 293-303, 2010.
102. Haier RJ, Schroeder DH, Tang C, Head K, Colom R. Gray matter correlates of cognitive ability tests used for vocational guidance, BMC Research Notes, 3:206, 2010. http://www.biomedcentral.com/1756-0500/3/206
103. Colom R, Karama S, Jung RE, & Haier RJ. Human Intelligence and Brain Networks, Dialogues in Clinical Neuroscience, Special Issue: Neurocircuitry of Cognition, Emotion, and Behaviour Vol 12 (3), edited by P. Schulz and D. Rubinow, 12 (4), 489-501, 2010.
104. Head E, Doran E, Nistor M, Hill MA, Haier RJ & Lott IT. Plasma Aβ as a function of age, extent of intellectual ability and dementia in Down Syndrome, Journal of Alzheimer’s Disease, 23 (3), 399-409, 2011.
105. Karama S, Colom R, Johnson W, Deary IJ, Haier RJ, Waber D, Lepage C, Ganjavi H, Jung R, Evans AC, & the Brain Development Cooperative Group. Cortical Thickness Correlates of Cognitive Performance Accounted for by the General Factor of Intelligence in Healthy Children Aged 6 to 18. NeuroImage, 55, 1443-1453, 2011.
106. Burgaleta M, Head K, Alvarez-Linera J, Martinez K, Escorial S, Haier R, Colom R. Sex differences in brain volume are related to specific skills, not to general intelligence. Intelligence, 40 (1) 60-68, 2012.
107. Schroeder D, Haier RJ, & Tang CY. Regional gray matter correlates of vocational interests, BMC Research Notes, 5:242, 2012; http://www.biomedcentral.com/1756-0500/5/242
108. Colom R, Burgaleta M, Roman FJ, Karama S, Alvarez-Linera J, Abad FJ, Martinez K, Quiroga MA, & Haier RJ. Neuroanatomic overlap between intelligence and cognitive factors: Morphometry methods provide support for the key role of the frontal lobes. NeuroImage 72, 143-152, 2013.
109. Colom R, Roman FJ, Abad FJ, Roman FJ, Shih PC, Privado J, Froufe M, Escorial S, Martinez K, Burgaleta M, Quiroga MA, Karama S, Haier RJ, Thompson PM, & Jaeggi SA. Adaptive n-back training does not improve fluid intelligence at the construct level: Gains on individual tests suggest that training may enhance visuospatial processing. Intelligence 41, 712-727, 2013.
110. Roman FJ, Abad FJ, Escorial S, Burgaleta M, Martinez K, Alvarez-Linera J, Quiroga MA, Karama S, Haier RJ, & Colom R. Reversed Hierarchy in the Brain for General and Specific Cognitive Abilities: A Morphometric Analysis. Human Brain Mapping 2014.
111. Haier RJ, Karama S, Colom R, Jung R, & Johnson W. A Comment on "Fractionating Intelligence" and the Peer Review Process. Intelligence, Available online 5 April 2014. http://dx.doi.org/10.1016/j.intell.2014.02.007
- Richardhaier.com [personal website]
- http://www.thegreatcourses.com/tgc/courses/course_detail.aspx?cid=1642 [The Intelligent Brain Lectures]