Richard Karn as host on Family Feud
|Born||Richard Karn Wilson
February 17, 1956
Seattle, Washington, U.S.
|Occupation||Actor/Game show host|
|Spouse(s)||Tudi Roche (1985–present) 1 child|
|Children||Cooper Andrew Wilson (b. 1992)|
Richard Karn (born February 17, 1956) is an American actor and game show host. He is most well known for his co-starring role as Al Borland in the 1990s sitcom Home Improvement and his tenure as the host of Family Feud during the 2000s.
Karn was born Richard Karn Wilson in Seattle, Washington. Karn's father, Gene, was a Seabee who served in World War II. Richard graduated from Roosevelt High School and the University of Washington, where he was a member of Beta Theta Pi fraternity. Karn also gained drama experience in Scotland at the Edinburgh Festival.
After earning his Drama degree in 1979, Karn packed up and headed to New York City. After less than one week, he was hired to do a commercial for Michelob beer that was featured during the 1980 Super Bowl. When he joined the Screen Actors Guild, he was informed there was already a Richard Wilson, so he dropped his last name.
Show business career
In 1989, his wife Tudi convinced Karn that they should move to Los Angeles. He found a place for them to live by managing an apartment complex, and catered events at a Jewish synagogue on the side. After receiving a traffic citation, Karn attended a traffic school and sat beside an agent who told him about casting for the new television show called Home Improvement. The role of Al Borland had already been given to Stephen Tobolowsky, but when taping was scheduled, Tobolowsky was busy with another movie and the role had to be recast. Karn was a guest star in the pilot episode but became a regular cast member when the show was picked up by the network.
- Picture Perfect (1995) – George Thomas
- Bram Stoker's Legend of the Mummy (1997) – Brice Renard
- The Pooch and the Pauper (1999) – Agent Dainville
- MVP 2: Most Vertical Primate (2001) – Ollie Plant
- Sex and the Teenage Mind (2002) – Stanley Heitmeyer
- Reality School (2002) – Victor Cayanne
- Air Bud: Seventh Inning Fetch (2002) – Patrick
- Air Buddies (2005) – Patrick
- Mr. Blue Sky (2006) – John
- Snow Buddies (2008) – Patrick
- Home Improvement (1991–1999) – Al Borland
- WOW! The Most Amazing Acts on Earth (1996) – Host
- Dirt (1 episode, "Ties That (Don't) Bind") – Holt McLauren's father
- Boy Meets World (1995: 1 episode, "This Little Piggy") – Animal Control Officer
- That '70s Show (1 episode, "Bye Bye Basement") – Theo
- Foot Soldier (1998) – Host and narrator
- Family Feud (2002–2006) – Host
- Bingo America (2008–present) – Hosts
- True Jackson, VP (2010) – Fire Marshal O'Dannon
- Last Man Standing (2013) – Bill McKendree
- House Broken: How I Remodeled My Home for Just Under Three Times the Original Bid (1999) – ISBN 0-06-105144-6 (with George Mair)
- Handy at Home: Tips on Improving Your Home from America's Favorite Handyman (2002) – ISBN 0-312-30606-7 (with George Mair)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Richard Karn.|
|Host of Family Feud