Kline at the New York Comic Con in Manhattan, October 10, 2010.
April 29, 1944
Queens, New York, U.S.
Richard Klein was born in New York City to Leah Klein. He was raised in Queens by parents who practiced Reform Judaism. He attended Queens College and has a Master of Fine Arts degree in theater from Northwestern University. After he graduated, he served with the United States Army in the Vietnam War.
Kline became involved in theater and made his professional debut in 1971 as part of the Lincoln Center Repertory Company. Regional theater productions during this period included Chemin de Fer (in Chicago with actor Dennis Franz), Death of a Salesman, and Love's Labour's Lost. A classically trained singer, Kline made his Broadway career debut in City of Angels, a musical (1990).
In addition to his television and big screen appearances, Kline has hosted two game show pilots, Jumble in 1988 and To Tell the Truth in 1990. The show's rights were then sold to NBC with Gordon Elliott, then Lynn Swann and Alex Trebek later hosting. Kline's TTTT pilot did air on the East Coast as a mistake on September 3, 1990, the day the show debuted. He also subbed in for Charles Nelson Reilly as a guest panelist on Sweethearts for a week of shows in December 1988. His game show celebrity appearances included both The $25,000 and $100,000 Pyramid, Super Password, All New All-Star Beat the Clock, and Body Language. Kline also won $10,000 on The $10,000 Pyramid as a civilian contestant in 1974.[episode needed] Kline told SitcomsOnline.com he would like to compete on Jeopardy.
- The Mary Tyler Moore Show (TV) (1 episode, 1976)
- Maude (TV) (2 episodes, 1977–1978)
- The Ropers (TV) (1979)...Larry Dallas
- Three's Company (TV) (110 episodes, 1977–1984)... Larry Dallas (Daliopolous)
- Three's a Crowd (TV) (1985)...Larry Dallas
- Hotel (TV) (1985)
- Hill Street Blues (TV) (2 episodes, 1986–1994)
- St. Elsewhere (TV) (1987)
- Hunter (TV) (1987)
- Problem Child (1990)
- Father Dowling Mysteries (TV) (1991)
- NYPD Blue (TV) (1993)
- Beverly Hills Ninja (1993)
- L.A. Law (TV) (1994)
- Family Matters (TV) (1995)
- Step by Step (TV) (1995)
- Bold and the Beautiful (TV) (1995–1996)
- Married... with Children (TV) (1996)
- That '70s Show (TV) (1999)
- Liberty Heights (TV) (1999)
- Treehouse Hostage (1999)...as Principal Ott
- Noah Knows Best (TV) (2000)
- Saving Silverman (2001)
- Judging Amy (TV) (2001)
- Gilmore Girls (TV) (2002)
- Inside Schwartz (TV) (2002)
- ER (TV) (1 episode, 2004)...Risk Assessment Expert
- To Kill a Mockumentary (2006) (TV)
- I Now Pronounce You Chuck and Larry (2007)
- Knight to F4 (2009)....as Truman Fletcher
- Jack and Jill (2011)...Theatregoer #1
- Richard Kline Biography (1944-)
- Richard Kline gets back to his Jewish roots; but first, Fagin
- Spears, Steve (February 4, 2010). "'Wicked' returns to Tampa with Richard Kline of TV's 'Three's Company' as the Wizard". Tampa Bay Times.