|Richard Otto Maack|
Young Richard Maack
September 4, 1825|
|Died||November 25, 1886
St. Petersburg, Russia
|Occupation||Naturalist, geographer, botanist, and educator.|
Richard Otto Maack (also Richard Karlovic Maak, Russian: Ричард Карлович Маак; 4 September 1825 – 25 November 1886) was a 19th-century Russian naturalist, geographer, and anthropologist. He is most known for his exploration of the Russian Far East and Siberia, particularly the Ussuri and Amur River valleys. He wrote some of the first scientific descriptions of the natural history of remote Siberia and collected many biological specimens, many of which were original type specimens of previously unknown species.
He studied natural sciences at the University of St. Petersburg. In 1852 he became a professor of natural sciences at the Gymnasium in Irkutsk and later director of the school. From 1868 to 1879, he was the superintendent of all schools of northern Siberia.
During the 1850s he undertook a number of expeditions in Siberia including those to the Amur River valley (1855–1856) and the Ussuri River (1859). He also participated in a Russian Geographical Society's first expedition (1853–55) to describe the orography, geology and population of the Vilyuy and Chona River basins.
Plants named after him
Maack is most famous for collecting previously unknown species and sending specimens back for scientific descriptions and naming. A number of those he found on his Amur River expedition bear his name.
- Maackia amurensis — Amur maackia
- Lonicera maackii — Amur Honeysuckle
- Prunus maackii — Amur choke cherry
Plants named by him
- Nymphaea tetragona var. wenzelii (Maack) F.Henkel et al.
- Pleopeltis ussuriensis Regel & Maack
- Rubia chinensis Regel & Maack
- Puteshestvie na Amur/Путешествие на Амур (Travels on the Amur). 1859. St. Petersburg.
- Puteshestvie po doline ryeki Ussuri/Путешествие в долину реки Уссури (Journey through the Ussuri river valley). 1861 St. Petersburg.
- Вилюйский округ Якутской области (Vilyuysky District Yakut area) (1877–86)
- Очерк флоры Уссурийской страны (Essay flora Ussuri country) 1862.
- Енисейская губерния (Yenisei province) in the "List of settlements Russian Empire".
- The Standard Cyclopedia of Horticulture by Liberty Hyde Bailey, 1916, pg. 124.
- Antiquarian Books at the Wayback Machine (archived February 16, 2007) Maak, R.K. Atlas to «Travel on the Amur river made by order of the Siberian department of the Emperor’s Russian Geographical Society in 1855». Saint-Petersburg, S.F. Soloviev, 1859.
- CRC World Dictionary of Plant Names 2000, By Umberto Quattrocchi. p. 1573.
- Literature of Travel and Exploration 2002. By Jennifer Speake. Taylor & Francis. p. 1040.
- Great Soviet Encyclopedia Richard Maak. Materials provided by the project Rubrikon.
- Lilacs By John L. Fiala, 2002 p. 45. Timber Press.
- "Author Query for 'Maack'". International Plant Names Index.