|Born||Richard Fontaine Maury
December 18, 1882
Philadelphia, United States
|Died||July 10, 1950
|Spouse(s)||Carmen Rosa Pauna|
|Children||Ricardo Juan Maury|
|Parents||Thompson Brooke Maury (father)|
|Bust of Richard Maury at Campo Quijano station (Panoramio)|
Richard Fontaine Maury (Philadelphia, 18 December 1882 - Córdoba, 10 July 1950) was an American railway engineer naturalized Argentine, famous for the project of the Argentine "Ramal C-14" of the Ferrocarril General Manuel Belgrano, better known for the touristic Tren a las Nubes.
Son of Thompson Brooke Maury, Richard Maury was born in Philadelphia in 1882, as the second of four brothers. He gratuated as engineer in 1902 and his first work was on the Pennsylvania Tunnel New York City-New Jersey. In 1906 he arrived in Argentina to enter, one year later, in the Ferrocarriles del Estado, the national railway company of the country.
In 1921 was dediced to build the "Ramal C-14" Salta-Socompa, to Chilean borders and, by an executive decree Maury, considered an expert in the choice of mountainous paths for railways and roads, was appointed head of the works, where he worked until 1931. On July 12, 1928 he was appointed honorary professor at the National University of Tucumán, where he also published, in 1929, his Manual para el trazado de ferrocarriles (i.e. "Manual for the railway tracks"). In 1944 he was declared the first honorary member of the Engineering Center of Tucumán.
Richard Maury died in Córdoba in 1950 and, since 1957, his remains are buried at the foot of a monument dedicated to him in the station of Campo Quijano, a town near Salta on the Salta–Antofagasta railway. A little village and its station, part of this line and originally named "Damián M. Torino", were renamed "Ingeniero Maury" (Engineer Maury) after him.
- Richard F. Maury: "Manual para el trazado de ferrocarriles". National University of Tucumán, 1929 - 312 pages
- Brief biography and genealogy of Richard Maury
- Brief genealogy of Carmen Rosa Pauna
- Brief genealogy of Ricardo Juan Maury
- Brief genealogy of Thompson Brooke Maury
- (Spanish) Biography of Richard Maury
- Manual para el trazado de ferrocarriles on Google Books
- Bust of Richard Maury and monolith on Panoramio
- Salta-Socompa: 1948 timetable
- (Spanish) Ingeniero Maury page on Salta Province website
- Route of the Tren a las Nubes