|The Right Reverend
|Bishop of Arundel and Brighton|
|See||Arundel and Brighton|
|Appointed||21 March 2015|
|Installed||28 May 2015|
|Ordination||3 July 1982|
|Consecration||29 September 2009
by Kevin John Patrick McDonald
|Birth name||Charles Phillip Richard Moth|
8 July 1958 |
Chingola, Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia)
|Denomination||Roman Catholic Church|
|Parents||Charles and Barbara Moth|
Charles Phillip Richard Moth (born 8 July 1958) is a British Roman Catholic prelate, who is serving as the Bishop of the Forces since 25 July 2009. Previously he was Vicar General of the Archdiocese of Southwark. On 21 March 2015, he was appointed by Pope Francis to be the Bishop of Arundel and Brighton. He will be installed on 28 May 2015 at Arundel Cathedral.
Charles Phillip Richard Moth was born in 1958 in Chingola, Northern Rhodesia (now Zambia), and came to the United Kingdom at the age of two. He was educated at the Judd School and St John's Seminary, Wonersh, before his ordination to the priesthood on 3 July 1982.
Mgr Moth served as Curate at St Bede's, Clapham Park and as a judge at the Southwark Metropolitan Tribunal before being sent to do further study in Ottawa, gaining a Licentiate and then a Master's in Canon Law. In 1987 he returned to Southwark and was curate at St Saviour's, Lewisham, during which appointment he was also a Territorial Army chaplain, serving with 217 General Hospital RAMC (V).
In 1992, Archbishop Michael Bowen named him as his Private Secretary, serving concurrently as Vocations Director and Vice-Chancellor of the Diocese. Moth was named a Monsignor to the degree of Papal Chaplain in 1998. In 2001, upon the elevation of the Vicar General, Mgr Canon John Hine, to be an Auxiliary Bishop of Southwark, Mgr Moth was named Vicar General and Chancellor of the Archdiocese, with the new post he was promoted to be a Prelate of Honour.
In July 2009 Mgr Moth was appointed Bishop of the Forces by Pope Benedict XVI. He stepped down as Vicar General of Southwark and was succeeded by Mgr. Matthew Dickens in September 2009. He was consecrated bishop on 29 September 2009, the Feast of the Archangels Michael, Gabriel and Raphael, in Westminster Cathedral. Archbishop Kevin McDonald was principal consecrator, with Archbishop Michael Bowen and Bishop Tom Burns as principal co-consecrators. Archbishop Vincent Nichols and Cardinals Cormac Murphy-O'Connor and Keith O'Brien were present in choir.
- "Pope Francis Appoints Bishop Richard Moth as the New Bishop of Arundel and Brighton". Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales. 21 March 2015. Retrieved 21 March 2015.
- Ordination of Mgr Richard Moth as Catholic Bishop of the Forces from Catholic Bishops' Conference of England and Wales, 29 September 2009, 21 March 2015
- Bishop-elect Richard Moth. Archdiocese of Southwark. Retrieved on 12 September 2009.
- Charles Phillip Richard Moth. Catholic Hierarchy. Retrieved on 12 September 2009.
- New Bishop of the Forces. Catholic Church in England and Wales. Retrieved on 12 September 2009.
- Bishop Richard Moth. Catholic Church in England and Wales. Retrieved on 12 September 2009.
|Catholic Church titles|
|Bishop of the Forces
2009 – 2015
|Bishop of Arundel and Brighton
2015 – present