Richard N. Current
Richard Nelson Current (October 5, 1912 – October 26, 2012) was an American historian.
Born in Colorado City, Colorado, Current graduated from Oberlin College, from The Fletcher School of Law and Diplomacy at Tufts University with an M.A., and from the University of Wisconsin–Madison with a Ph.D. in history in 1940.
Within the United States, he taught at Rutgers University, Hamilton College, Northern Michigan University, Lawrence University, Mills College, Salisbury State University, the University of Illinois, the University of North Carolina at Greensboro, and the University of Wisconsin-Madison.
Internationally, he lectured in Chile, Japan, India, and Antarctica.
He served as president of the Southern Historical Association in 1975.
He died in Boston, Massachusetts on October 26, 2012, at age 100 and is buried in Greensboro, North Carolina.
- 1956 Bancroft Prize
- 1959 Fulbright Professor in Munich, Germany
- 1960 O. Max Gardner Prize from the University of North Carolina
- 1962 Harmsworth Professor, M.A. from Oxford University
- 1977 George Banta Award from the Wisconsin Library Association
- 1988 Notable Wisconsin Authors
- 1989 Logan Hay Medal from the Abraham Lincoln Association
- 2000 Lincoln Prize for lifetime achievement
- 2000 Richard Nelson Current Award of Achievement from The Lincoln Forum
- Old Thad Stevens: A Story of Ambition, 1942.
- Pine Logs and Politics: A Life of Philetus Sawyer, 1816-1900, 1950.
- The Typewriter and the Men Who Made It, 1954.
- Secretary Stimson: A Study in Statecraft, 1954.
- Daniel Webster and the Rise of National Conservatism, 1955.
- Lincoln the President: Midstream to the Last Full Measure (With J. G. Randall), 1955.
- The Lincoln Nobody Knows, 1958.
- Why the North Won the Civil War, essays by Richard N. Current and David Herbert Donald, 1960
- American History: A Survey (With F. Freidel and T. H. Williams), 1961.
- Lincoln and the First Shot, 1963.
- John C. Calhoun, 1963.
- United States History (With A. DeConde and H. L. Dante), 1967.
- Three Carpetbag Governors, 1967.
- Essentials of American History (With others), 1972.
- United States History: A World Power (With A. DeConde and H. L. Dante), 1974.
- United States History: Search for Freedom (With A. DeConde and H. L. Dante), 1974.
- Wisconsin: The Civil War Era 1848-1873, 1976.
- Wisconsin: A Bicentennial History, 1977.
- Unity, Ethnicity, and Abraham Lincoln, 1978.
- A History of the United States (With G. Goodwin), 1980.
- Speaking of Abraham Lincoln: The Man and His Meaning for Our Times, 1983.
- Northernizing the South, 1983.
- Arguing with Historians: Essays on the Historical and the Unhistorical, 1987.
- Those Terrible Carpetbaggers, 1988.
- Lincoln, the Constitution, and Presidential Leadership, 1989.
- Daniel Webster, 'the Completest Man' (With others), 1990.
- Phi Beta Kappa in American Life: The First Two Hundred Years, 1990.
- Encyclopedia of the Confederacy (Editor), 1993.
- What Is an American? Abraham Lincoln and 'Multiculturalism', 1993.
- Lincoln's Loyalists: Union Soldiers from the Confederacy, 1994.
- Lincoln on Democracy (With others), 1994.
- Loie Fuller, Goddess of Light (With Marcia Ewing Current), 1997.
- Knut Hamsun Remembers America: Essays and Stories, 1885-1949 (Translator), 2003.
In addition, Current was the editor and the author of introductions in many other works. He also wrote over 250 articles. His papers are in the Rare Book Room of the University of North Carolina at Greensboro.
- Richard Nelson Current. "UI Press | Richard Nelson Current | Wisconsin: A History". Press.uillinois.edu. Retrieved 2012-10-29.
- Italie, Hillel (2012-02-11). "NEW YORK: Lincoln scholar Richard Current dies at age 100 - People Wires". MiamiHerald.com. Retrieved 2012-11-02.