O'Donnell with Sheffield Wednesday
|Full name||Richard Mark O'Donnell|
|Date of birth||12 September 1988|
|Place of birth||Sheffield, England|
|Height||6 ft 2 in (1.88 m)|
|2007||→ York City (loan)||0||(0)|
|2007–2008||→ Buxton (loan)||2||(0)|
|2008||→ Rotherham United (loan)||0||(0)|
|2008||→ Oldham Athletic (loan)||4||(0)|
|2010||→ Grimsby Town (loan)||12||(0)|
|2011||→ Alfreton Town (loan)||0||(0)|
|2012||→ Macclesfield Town (loan)||11||(0)|
|2013||→ Stockport County (loan)||20||(0)|
|* Senior club appearances and goals counted for the domestic league only and correct as of 19:50, 25 August 2014 (UTC).
† Appearances (Goals).
Having started his career as a junior with Sheffield Wednesday he progressed to the first team where he was largely utilised as an understudy keeper in his years at Hillsborough. He played 22 times for The Owls between 2006 and his departure in 2012, however he earned a significant amount of first team appearances elsewhere as he spent time on loan with York City, Buxton, Rotherham United, Oldham Athletic, Grimsby Town, Alfreton Town and Macclesfield Town. He was released in the summer of 2012 and joined Chesterfield. In 2013—following limited first-team appearances—he signed a one-year contract at Walsall.
Born in Sheffield, South Yorkshire, O'Donnell was called up to the Sheffield Wednesday first team at the start of the 2006–07 season and was on the bench for the League Cup tie against Wrexham as backup for Chris Adamson, although he was an Academy player at the time.
O'Donnell joined Conference National team York City on loan on 2 March 2007 on a work experience arrangement. He was recalled by Wednesday on 22 March. He joined Buxton in the Northern Premier League Premier Division on loan in December for a period of 28 days, where he made two appearances. He joined League Two club Rotherham United on a three-month loan in January 2008, as back up for Andy Warrington, but was recalled before the end of the deal as backup to Wednesday's two first choice goalkeepers. O'Donnell was then loaned to League One team Oldham Athletic on an emergency seven-day loan on 14 March. He made his Football League debut the following day at the age of 19 in a League One match against Luton Town.
He joined Conference team Grimsby Town on a 28-day loan on 31 August 2010. He made his Grimsby debut on 4 September in a match against Luton, which Grimsby won 2–0. In February 2011 he joined Alfreton Town on a one-month. He made his first team debut for Wednesday in a 2–0 defeat at Southampton on 19 March. On 15 May 2012, O'Donnell was amongst the six first-team players to be released by Sheffield Wednesday after making fifteen league appearances for the club within four-years.
Days after his release from the club, O'Donnell signed for Chesterfield on a one-year deal. After appearing as an unused substitute in the first-five matches, O'Donnell finally made his début in a 2-2 draw against York City on 8 September 2012. O'Donnell appeared in the following fourteen matches, mainly due to the absence of first-choice goalkeeper Tommy Lee, who was out for eight weeks. After Lee recovered and returned to the first team, O'Donnell was once again the club's reserve goalkeeper.
On 14 January 2013, O'Donnell joined Stockport County on a month long loan. While at Stockport County, he made twenty appearances and established himself as first choice goalkeeper, but the club was relegated to the Conference North. O'Donnell had his loan spell extended with the club until 16 April. On the last game of the season, O'Donnell played his first match for Chesterfield in over six months, a 4-0 home victory over Exeter City.
He was released at the end of that one-year contract following limited first-team opportunities.
- Sheffield Wednesday
- League One
- Runners Up (1): 2011-2012
- "Professional retain list & free transfers 2012/13" (PDF). The Football League. 18 May 2013. p. 86. Retrieved 17 June 2013.
- "York boss brings in two new faces". BBC Sport. 2 March 2007. Retrieved 9 November 2011.
- "Owls Keeper Out On Loan". Sheffield Wednesday F.C. 11 December 2007. Retrieved 20 March 2011.
- "Richard O'Donnell". Buxton F.C. Retrieved 28 June 2008.
- "Rotherham sign keeper O'Donnell". BBC Sport. 8 January 2008. Retrieved 9 November 2011.
- "O'Donnell Returns As Back-up". Sheffield Wednesday F.C. 7 March 2008. Retrieved 20 March 2011.
- "Lactics sign keeper O'Donnell". Oldham Athletic A.F.C. 14 March 2008. Retrieved 20 March 2011.
- "Grimsby Town agree Richard O'Donnell loan deal". BBC Sport. 31 August 2010. Retrieved 9 November 2011.
- "Grimsby Town 2–0 Luton Town". BBC Sport. 4 September 2010. Retrieved 20 March 2011.
- "Former Town loan keeper O'Donnell joins Alfreton Town on loan". Grimsby Telegraph. 5 February 2010. Retrieved 20 March 2011.
- "Southampton 2 – 0 Sheff Wed". BBC Sport. 19 March 2010. Retrieved 20 March 2011.
- "Owls release six". www.swfc.co.uk. 15 May 2012.
- "O'Donnell signs for Spireites". Sky Sports. 16 May 2012. Retrieved 16 May 2012.
- "York 2-2 Chesterfield". BBC Sport. 8 September 2012. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- ""We Can Get The Result" Caretaker Boss Tommy Wright Previews York". Chesterfield Post. 7 September 2012. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "Stockport sign Chesterfield keeper Richard O'Donnell on loan". BBC Sport. 14 January 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "Chesterfield Keeper O'Donnell's Loan at Stockport County Extended". Chesterfield Post. 2 February 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "Chesterfield Pay A Winning Tribute To Jack Lester. Match Report". Chesterfield Post. 28 April 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "Farewell to Seven Players". Chesterfield F.C. 30 April 2013. Archived from the original on 18 July 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
- "SADDLERS SECURE 'KEEPER". Walsall F.C. 18 July 2013. Archived from the original on 18 July 2013. Retrieved 18 July 2013.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Richard O'Donnell.|
- Richard O'Donnell profile at the Sheffield Wednesday website
- Richard O'Donnell career stats at Soccerbase