Richard Pilbrow (born April 28, 1933 in Beckenham, Kent, England) is an internationally renowned stage lighting designer, author, theatre consultant, and theatrical producer, film producer and television producer. He was the first British lighting designer on the Broadway stage in the musical Zorba.
In 1957, Pilbrow co-founded the lighting rental company Theatre Projects with Bryan Kendall, which expanded to include a production company in 1963 to produce and mount the London production of A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum with set designer Tony Walton and American Producer Hal Prince. Now called Theatre Projects Consultants, which designs theaters and performing arts buildings, the company has gone on to design world renowned spaces such as the Steppenwolf Theatre in Chicago, the Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts in Philadelphia, and the Walt Disney Concert Hall in Los Angeles, onwhich he wrote a book. Pilbrow is now Chairman Emeritus of the firm.
Pilbrow worked on Broadway for the first time as the projection designer of Prince’s A Funny Thing Happened On the Way to the Forum. A year later, his second projection assignment on Broadway with Golden Boy allowed him to work with lighting designer Tharon Musser. Also in 1964, Pilbrow and Robert Ornbo were the first English lighting designers to ever be invited to join the United Scenic Artists. Pilbrow went on to light eleven Broadway shows—earning Tony nominations for Four Baboons Adoring the Sun and The Life.
In 1970, he published the book Stage Lighting Design: The Art, The Craft, The Life which is still a standard textbook in lighting programs in both America and Britain. A new edition of the book was published in September 2008.
Pillbrow was the lighting designer for the 2008 Jill Santoriello musical adaptation of A Tale of Two Cities at the Al Hirschfeld Theatre on Broadway. He won the 1995 Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Lighting Design for Show Boat and was nominated for the same award for A Tale of Two Cities in 2009.
Pilbrow is a joint founder in the Association of British Theatre Technicians, Society of Theatre Consultants, The Society of British Theatre Designers, and the Association of Lighting Designers. Pilbrow served two terms on the United States Institute for Theatre Technology’s (USITT) Directors at Large and was also elected a Fellow of the Institute in 2001.
- Drama Desk Award Show Boat (1997)
- Outer Critics Award Show Boat (1997)
- Dora Award Show Boat (1997)
- NAACP Award for Lighting Show Boat (1997)
- Theatre Crafts International Lighting Product of the Year (1998)
- Distinguished Lifetime Achievement Award in Lighting Design from the United States Institute for Theatre Technology (1999) 
- Association of British Theatre Technicians Technician of the Year (2000)
- Lighting Designer of the Year by Lighting Dimensions Magazine (2005)
- The Wally Russell Foundation Wally Russell Lifetime Achievement Award (2008)
- Stage Lighting (1970)
- Walt Disney Concert Hall: The Backstage Story (2003)
- Stage Lighting Design: The Art, The Craft, The Life (1997 & 2008)
- A Theatre Project (2011)
Broadway Lighting Design Credits
- A Tale of Two Cities (2008)
- Our Town (2002)
- The Life (1997)
- Show Boat (1994)
- Tango Pasión (1993)
- Four Baboons Adoring the Sun (1992)
- Shelter (1973)
- The Rothschilds (1970)
- Zorba (1968)
- Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead (1967)
- Golden Boy (1964)
Theatre Projects Consultants: theatre design consulting projects of note
- Kauffman Performing Arts Center, Kansas City, Missouri http://www.kauffmancenter.org
- Dallas Center for the Performing Arts, Dallas, Texas
- Walt Disney Concert Hall, Los Angeles, California
- Richard B. Fisher Center for the Arts, Bard College Annandale-on-Hudson, New York
- New Amsterdam Theater renovation, New York, New York
- Kimmel Center for the Performing Arts, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Geary Theater renovation, San Francisco, California
- Seiji Ozawa Hall, Tanglewood Lenox, Massachusetts
- Cerritos Center for the Performing Arts, Cerritos, California
- San Jose Repertory Theatre, San Jose, California
- Epcor Centre for the Performing Arts, Calgary, Alberta, Canada
- Portland Center for the Performing Arts, Portland, Oregon
- North Carolina Blumenthal Performing Arts Center, Charlotte, North Carolina
- Steppenwolf Theater, Chicago, Illinois
- Chicago Shakespeare Theater, Chicago, Illinois
- The Goodman Theatre, Chicago, Illinois
- "Richard Pilbrow, Founder and Chairman Emeritus". Theatre Projects Consultants. Retrieved 2009-10-06.
- "Richard Pilbrow, biography". richardnegri.co.uk. 2006. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- , Broadway.com, July 23, 2008
- "USITT Distinguished Achievement Awards". United States Institute for Theatre Technology. Retrieved 2008-10-01.
- Pibrow, Richard (1970). Stage lighting. New York : Drama Book Specialists. ISBN 978-0-89676-005-9.
- Pibrow, Richard (2003). Walt Disney Concert Hall: The Backstage Story. Entertainment Technology. ISBN 1-904031-23-4.
- Pibrow, Richard (2008). Stage Lighting Design: the Art, the Craft, the Life. New York : By Design Press. ISBN 0-89676-235-1.
- Pibrow, Richard (2011). A Theatre Project. New York : Plaza Media. ISBN 978-0-9834796-0-4.