||This article is written like a personal reflection or opinion essay that states the Wikipedia editor's particular feelings about a topic, rather than the opinions of experts. (June 2011)|
December 8, 1973 |
Metro Manila, Philippines
|Occupation||Big Band Crooner, Songwriter|
|Label(s)||MCA Music (2007–2013)
Universal Records (2013–present)
Poon was born on December 8, 1973 in Makati City, Philippines. His parents, Robert Poon (from Hong Kong) and Eva Huang (from Taiwan), are of pure Chinese descent. He has a sister named Eva Marie. They were both raised in the Philippines
As a musician, Poon has performed in various lounges and bars across Metro Manila with his four-piece band, as well as in weddings. He used to regularly perform at Eastwood Central Plaza.
As a recording artist, he is known for covering standards and classic pop songs, including Filipino songs. He has also written songs, including Lalala which was performed by Regine Velasquez and Piolo Pascual for the soundtrack of their movie Paano Kita Iibigin?
Poon considers himself influenced by the singing styles of Harry Connick, Michael Buble and famous balladeer Jose Mari Chan.
Poon is one of the regular performers at the Sunday variety show ASAP (ABS-CBN channel 2), usually in the ASAP Sessionistas segment together with Sitti, Aiza Seguerra, Juris Fernandez, Duncan Ramos, Princess Velasco and Kean Cipriano.
In 2008, in his first year as a solo artist, Richard won prestigious back-to-back Awit Awards’ Best New Male Recording Artist and Aliw Awards Best Male Performer in Hotels, Bars and Music Lounges.
In 2009, Richard was awarded Breakthrough Artist of the Year by the 1st Radio Music Awards and bagged the 2009 Best Male Entertainer and Recording Artist by the Dangal Ng Bayan “Who’s Who in the Philippines”.
In 2010, Richard garnered the Aliw Awards Best Male Concert Performer.
|2007||I'll Take Care of You||
|2010||I'll Be Seeing You
|2012||The Crooner's Songbook: The Best of Richard Poon
- Christmas With Richard Poon (2011)
|2007||"I'll Take Care of You"||I'll Take Care of You|
|2008||"The Last Time"|
|"Kahit Maputi na ang Buhok Ko"|
|2009||"Kumot at Unan||For You|
|"You and I"|
|"Kahit 'Di Mo Napapansin"|
- "Who is RP? | RP". Richardpoon.wordpress.com. Retrieved 2013-11-23.
- "Details about Maricar Reyes-Richard Poon wedding". ABS-CBN News. Retrieved 2013-11-23.
- "U-Turn - U-Turn", Titik Pilipino, Retrieved 2010-10-17
- "By Request - U-Turn", Titik Pilipino, Retrieved 2010-10-17
- "MCA releases Platinum Edition of Richard Poon's debut album", pep.ph, Retrieved 2010-10-17
- "Richard Poon releases sophomore album For You", pep.ph, Retrieved 2010-10-17
- "For You album reaches Gold by the PARI", pep.ph, Retrieved 2010-10-17
- "Richard Poon releases third album", odysseylive.net, Retrieved 2010-11-06