February 8, 1943 |
|Occupation||Actor, writer, screenwriter, songwriter|
|Spouse(s)||Tina Bohlman (May 20, 1967 - div. 1980), Anthea Sylbert (August 11, 1985 - present)|
|Children||(w. Tina Bohlman) Robert|
|Awards||Best Original Screenplay in Longform Television by the Writers Guild of America (nominated)|
Richard Romanus (born February 8, 1943) is an American actor. Among other roles, he has appeared in Martin Scorsese's Mean Streets, and provided voices for Ralph Bakshi's animated films Wizards and Hey Good Lookin'. He played Richard La Penna, Lorraine Bracco's ex-husband, later husband again, in four episodes of The Sopranos from 1999–2002. In 1999 he co-wrote the Christmas film If You Believe along with his wife Anthea Sylbert, which was nominated for a Best Original Screenplay award by the Writers Guild of America.
Romanus was born in Barre, Vermont, the son of Eileen (née Maloof) and Dr. Raymond Romanus. His younger brother, Robert, is also an actor. They both appeared in some episodes of MacGyver in the 1980s. He is of Lebanese descent.
In 2004, Romanus moved to the Greek island of Skiathos with his wife Anthea and since then he has focused his creative talent on writing prose. He has since written his memoirs, entitled 'Act III' co-published by Aiora Press, Athens and Armida Publications, Nicosia, in 2011 documenting his move to the said island; 2011 also saw the release of Romanus' first novel, 'Chrysalis', by Armida Publications. In 2012, 'Act III' was short-listed for the International Rubery Book Award.
This is a list of films that have featured Richard Romanus.
- 1973 - Mean Streets as Michael
- 1974 - The Gravy Train as Carlo
- 1975 - Russian Roulette as Ragulia
- 1977 - Wizards as Weehawk (voice)
- 1977 - Night Terror (TV movie) as The Killer
- 1979 - Gold of the Amazon Women (TV movie) as Luis Escobar
- 1980 - Sitting Ducks as Moose Joe Mastaki
- 1981 - Heavy Metal as Harry Canyon (voice)
- 1982 - Pandemonium as Jarrett
- 1982 - Hey Good Lookin' as Vinnie (voice)
- 1983 - Strangers Kiss as Frank Silva
- 1984 - Crackups (TV movie)
- 1984 - More than Murder (TV movie) as Bordante
- 1984 - Second Sight: A Love Story (TV movie) as Dr. Ross Harkin
- 1984 - Protocol as the Emir
- 1986 - Murphy's Law as Frank Vincenzo
- 1987 - Ghost of a Chance (TV movie) as Julio Mendez
- 1988 - The Couch Trip as Harvey Michaels
- 1989 - Married to the Mob (TV movie) as Tony
- 1990 - Hollywood Heartbreak as Niles Gregory
- 1990 - Final Stage as The Producer
- 1991 - Oscar as Vendetti
- 1991 - The Entertainers (TV movie) as 'Chick'
- 1992 - To Protect and Serve as Captain Malouf
- 1993 - Point of No Return as Fahd Bahktiar
- 1994 - Cops and Robbersons as Fred Lutz
- 1995 - The Rockford Files: A Blessing in Disguise (TV movie) as Penguinetti
- 1998 - Urban Relics as Charlie Shivers
- 1998 - Giving Up the Ghost (TV movie)
- 1999 - Carlo's Wake as Carmine D'Angelo
- 1999 - If You Believe (TV movie)
- 2001 - Nailed as Uncle Robert
- 2003 - The Young Black Stallion as Ben Ishak
- 1970 - Mission Impossible (TV series) as Guard (Ep.: Gitano)
- 1970-1971 - The Mod Squad as Aurelio / Paco Montoya:
- "The Sentinals" (1971) … Aurelio (as Richard Romanos)
- "Is There Anyone Left in Santa Paula?" (1970) … Paco Montoya
- 1977 episode 16 (season 2) of Starsky and Hutch "Huggy Bear and the Turkey"
- 1980 - MacGyver
- Act III, 2011 (Aiora Press, Athens and Armida Publications, Nicosia)
- Chrysalis, 2011 (Armida Publications, Nicosia)
Awards and nominations
- 1999 - Best Original Screenplay in Long Form Television - Writers Guild of America
- 2012 - Short listed for the International Rubery Book Award for 'Act III'