February 28, 1943 |
|Occupation||Actor, writer, screenwriter, songwriter|
|Spouse(s)||Tina Bohlman (May 20, 1967 - div. 1980), Anthea Sylbert (August 11, 1985 - present)|
|Children||(w. Tina Bohlman) Robert|
|Awards||Best Original Screenplay in Longform Television by the Writers Guild of America (nominated)|
Richard Romanus (born Richard J. Romanos February 8, 1943) is an American actor. Among other roles, he has appeared in Martin Scorsese's Mean Streets and provided voices for Ralph Bakshi's animated films Wizards and Hey Good Lookin'. He played Richard La Penna, Lorraine Bracco's ex-husband, later husband again, in four episodes of The Sopranos from 1999–2002. In 1999 he co-wrote the Christmas film If You Believe along with his wife Anthea Sylbert, which was nominated for a Best Original Screenplay award by the Writers Guild of America.
Romanus was born in Barre, Vermont, the son of Eileen (née Maloof) and Dr. Raymond Romanos. He lived in West Hartford, Connecticut, and in 1964 graduated from Xavier University with a bachelor's in philosophy, before studying acting with Lee Strasberg at the Actors Studio in New York. His younger brother Robert is also an actor. They both appeared in some episodes of MacGyver in the 1980s. He is of Lebanese descent.
In 2004 Romanus moved to the Greek island of Skiathos with his wife Anthea and since then he has focused his creative talent on writing prose. In 2011 he published his memoirs, Act III (Aiora Press, Athens, and Armida Publications, Nicosia), and first novel, Chrysalis (Armida Publications). In 2012 Act III was short-listed for the International Rubery Book Award.
This is a list of films that have featured Richard Romanus.
- 1973 - Mean Streets as Michael
- 1974 - The Gravy Train as Carlo
- 1975 - Russian Roulette as Ragulia
- 1977 - Wizards as Weehawk (voice)
- 1977 - Night Terror (TV movie) as The Killer
- 1979 - Gold of the Amazon Women (TV movie) as Luis Escobar
- 1980 - Sitting Ducks as Moose Joe Mastaki
- 1981 - Heavy Metal as Harry Canyon (voice)
- 1982 - Pandemonium as Jarrett
- 1982 - Hey Good Lookin' as Vinnie (voice)
- 1983 - Strangers Kiss as Frank Silva
- 1984 - Crackups (TV movie)
- 1984 - More than Murder (TV movie) as Bordante
- 1984 - Second Sight: A Love Story (TV movie) as Dr. Ross Harkin
- 1984 - Protocol as the Emir
- 1986 - Murphy's Law as Frank Vincenzo
- 1987 - Ghost of a Chance (TV movie) as Julio Mendez
- 1988 - The Couch Trip as Harvey Michaels
- 1989 - Married to the Mob (TV movie) as Tony
- 1990 - Hollywood Heartbreak as Niles Gregory
- 1990 - Final Stage as The Producer
- 1991 - Oscar as Vendetti
- 1991 - The Entertainers (TV movie) as 'Chick'
- 1992 - To Protect and Serve as Captain Malouf
- 1993 - Point of No Return as Fahd Bahktiar
- 1994 - Cops and Robbersons as Fred Lutz
- 1995 - The Rockford Files: A Blessing in Disguise (TV movie) as Penguinetti
- 1998 - Urban Relics as Charlie Shivers
- 1998 - Giving Up the Ghost (TV movie)
- 1999 - Carlo's Wake as Carmine D'Angelo
- 1999 - If You Believe (TV movie)
- 2001 - Nailed as Uncle Robert
- 2003 - The Young Black Stallion as Ben Ishak
- 1970 - Mission: Impossible … Guard, "Gitano"
- 1970-1971 - The Mod Squad (as Richard Romanos)
- … Aurelio, "The Sentinals" (1971)
- … Paco Montoya, "Is There Anyone Left in Santa Paula?" (1970)
- 1974 - Rhoda … Luis Alvarez, "9-E Is Available"
- 1977 - Starsky & Hutch … Sonny Watson, "Huggy Bear and the Turkey"
- 1980 - MacGyver
- 1981-1982 - Strike Force … Lt. Charlie Gunzer
- 1988 - Mission Impossible (1988 Series) … Arthur Six, "The Fixer"
- Act III, 2011 (Aiora Press, Athens, and Armida Publications, Nicosia)
- Chrysalis, 2011 (Armida Publications, Nicosia)
Awards and nominations
- 1999 - Best Original Screenplay in Long Form Television - Writers Guild of America
- 2012 - Short-listed for the International Rubery Book Award for Act III