Richard S. Van Wagoner
Van Wagoner was a Lehi, Utah native and a fifth-generation Mormon. He was an Eagle Scout and was a missionary for The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints in the church's Central States Mission. In 1970, he graduated from Brigham Young University with an M.S. degree. He was trained as a clinical audiologist and beginning in 1977 operated a hearing center in Salt Lake City, Utah.
Van Wagoner wrote the books Sidney Rigdon: A Portrait of Religious Excess and Mormon Polygamy: A History. His 1994 biography of Sidney Rigdon won awards from the Mormon History Association and the John Whitmer Historical Association.
Van Wagoner was a member of the board of Signature Books, and was described after his death as a "trailblazer in Mormon studies", having published historical articles in Utah Historical Quarterly, Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought, and Sunstone. He lived in Lehi, Utah and acted as the town's historical archivist.
- Van Wagoner, Richard S.; Steven C. Walker (1982), A Book of Mormons, Midvale, Utah: Signature Books, ISBN 978-0-941214-06-3
- —— (1989) , Mormon Polygamy: A History (2nd ed.), Salt Lake City, Utah: Signature Books, ISBN 978-0-941214-79-7, LCCN 85063399, OCLC 19515803
- —— (1990), Lehi: Portraits of a Utah Town, Lehi, Utah: Lehi City Corp., ISBN 978-1-56085-001-4
- —— (1994), Sidney Rigdon: A Portrait of Religious Excess, Salt Lake City, Utah: Signature Books, ISBN 978-1-56085-197-4
- —— (2001), Pioneering Lehi City: A 150-Year Pictorial History, Lehi, Utah: Lehi City Corp., ISBN 978-0-9714191-0-0
- Young, Brigham (2009), Richard Van Wagoner, ed., The Complete Discourses of Brigham Young 5, Smith-Pettit Foundation, ISBN 978-1-56085-206-3
- Van Wagoner, Richard; Steven C. Walker (July–August 1981), The Return of Thomas B. Marsh, Sunstone (28): 28–30
- ——; Walker, Steven C. (Summer 1982), Joseph Smith: The Gift of Seeing, Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 15 (2): 48–68
- —— (November–December 1983), To Beard or Not to Beard, Sunstone (42): 8–10
- —— (Fall 1985), Mormon Polyandry in Nauvoo, Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 18 (3): 67–83
- —— (Summer 1986), Sarah Pratt: The Shaping of an Apostate, Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 19 (2): 69–99
- ——; Steven C. Walker; Allen D. Roberts (Fall 1987), The 'Lectures on Faith': A Case Study in Decanonization, Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 20 (3): 71–77
- ——; Mary C. Van Wagoner (Spring 1988), Orson Pratt, Jr.: Gifted Son of an Apostle and an Apostate, Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 21 (1): 84–94
- —— (Spring 1991), The Lehi Sugar Factory—100 Years in Retrospect, Utah Historical Quarterly 59 (2): 189–204
- —— (1994), "Lehi", in Powell, Allan Kent, Utah History Encyclopedia, Salt Lake City, Utah: University of Utah Press, ISBN 0874804256, OCLC 30473917
- —— (1996), Sidney and Me, Journal of Mormon History 22 (1, 2): 151
- —— (Spring–Summer 2001), The Making of a Mormon Myth: The 1844 Transfiguration of Brigham Young, Dialogue: A Journal of Mormon Thought 34 (1, 2): 159–182
- Sunstone Symposium presentations
- Van Wagoner, Richard; Allen D. Roberts (August 27, 1982). "From Grace to Grace"
- Bradley, Martha; Richard Van Wagoner (August 23, 1985). "Changed Faces: Offical [sic] LDS Positions on Pologamy [sic], 1890-1-80"
- Van Wagoner, Richard S.; Lynne Watkins Jorgensen (August 12, 1995). "The Making of a Mormon Myth: The 1844 Transfiguration of Brigham Young - and - The Mantle of the Prophet Joseph Passes to Brother Brigham and the Twelve Apostles: A Collective Spiritual Witness"
- Van Wagoner, Richard S. (August 17, 1996). "Sidney Rigdon and the Elect Sisterhood"
- Ehat, Andrew E.; Richard S. Van Wagoner (August 22, 1996). "Pseudo-Polyandry: Explaining Mormon Polgyny's Paraboxical Companion"
- Van Wagoner, Richard; Breck England (August 23, 1996). "Orson Pratt, Jr"