Richard Sackville (escheator)
Richard Sackville was the eldest son of John Sackville (ca. 1484–1557) of Withyham and Chiddingly, Sussex, and his first wife, Margaret (d. ca. 1533), daughter of Sir William Boleyn of Blickling, and on his mother's side was cousin to Anne Boleyn.
He was under-treasurer of the exchequer, chancellor of the Court of Augmentations, Escheator of Surrey and Sussex in 1541–2 and was made custos rotulorum of Sussex in 1549 (till his death) and is the first listed Lord Lieutenant of that county from 1550 (till his death); he was also made steward of the archbishop of Canterbury's Sussex manors in 1554.
Marriage and issue
In 1535 Sackville married Winifred (d.1586), the daughter of Sir John Brydges [Bridges or Brugge] (ca. 1460-1530), (Lord Mayor of the City of London in 1520) by Agnes Ayloffe, the daughter of Thomas Ayloffe. They had a son Thomas, a favourite of Elizabeth I, and a daughter Anne. After Richard Sackville's death, his widow, Winifred, married, before 30 September 1568, as his third wife, John Paulet, 2nd Marquess of Winchester, by whom she had no issue.
- Haslar. History of Parliament. p. 314.
- Sybil M. Jack, ‘Sackville, Sybil M. Jack, Oxford University Press, 2004 accessed 11 March 2011
- Horsfield. The History, Antiquities and Topography of the County of Sussex. Vol. I. pp.79-83.
- "Past Chancellors". UK Government. Retrieved 2012-01-07.
- Richardson III 2011, p. 311.
- Winifrid Brydges.
- Brydges. Collins Peerage. p. 710.
- The Sussex Weald. Agnes Ayloffe.
||This article includes a list of references, related reading or external links, but its sources remain unclear because it lacks inline citations. (June 2014)|
- Brydges, Edgerton (1812). Collins Peerage of England. Volume VI. London: F.C. and J. Rivington, Otridge and Son et al.
- Hasler, P.W., ed. (1982). The History of Parliament, Commons, 1558–1603, Vol. III. Secker & Warburg. ISBN 0-11-887501-9.
- "History of Parliament SACKVILLE, Richard II (by 1507-66) of Ashburnham and Buckhurst Sussex". The History of Parliament. Retrieved 16 September 2011.
- Horsfield, Thomas Walker (1834 repr. 2003). The History, Antiquities and Topography of the County of Sussex. Bakewell: Country Books. ISBN 978-1-906789-16-9. Check date values in:
- Jack, Sybil M. (2004 online ed., Jan 2008). "Sackville, Sir Richard (d. 1566)". Oxford Dictionary of National Biography, Oxford University Press. Retrieved 11 March 2011. Check date values in:
- "The Sussex Weald". Retrieved 2 September 2011.
- Richardson, Douglas (2011). Everingham, Kimball G., ed. Magna Carta Ancestry: A Study in Colonial and Medieval Families III (2nd ed.). Salt Lake City. ISBN 144996639X.
Sir John Baker
|Chancellor of the Exchequer
Sir William Shelley
|Custos Rotulorum of Sussex