28 August 1897|
|Died||26 September 1963
|Allegiance|| German Empire (to 1918)
Nazi Germany (to 1945)
|Years of service||1941–1945, –1963|
|Rank||Oberleutnant of the Reserves (Wehrmacht)
Korvettenkapitän of the Reserves (Bundeswehr)
|Unit||Marine Artillerie Abteilung 608|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves|
Richard Seuss had served with the artillery in World War I and called up when war broke out in 1939 as Leutnant der Reserve. In January 1941 he transferred to the Kriegsmarine's coastal artillery and became chief of the naval artillery battery "Île de Cézembre" at Saint-Malo on 23 August 1942. The battle for the French harbour city Saint-Malo started after the Allied invasion at Normandy. Fortress commander was Oberst Andreas von Aulock and harbour commander was Kapitän zur See Werner Endell. The VIII US Army Corps under the command of Major General Troy H. Middleton reached St Malo on 3 August 1944 and by 5 August the city was encircled. Oberleutnant Seuss and his artillery battery engaged the US forces, inflicting substantial losses. Richard Seuss was awarded the Knight's Cross for these actions and was taken prisoner of war on 2 September 1944 followed by the Oak Leaves on 2 September 1944.
- Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class and 1st Class
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Knight's Cross on 15 August 1944 as Oberleutnant (Naval Artillery) of the Reserves and chief of the naval battery "Ile de Cécembre"/Marine-Artillery-Abteilung 608
- 577th Oak Leaves on 2 September 1944 as Oberleutnant (Naval Artillery) of the Reserves and chief of the naval battery "Ile de Cécembre"/Marine-Artillery-Abteilung 608
- Mentioned two times in the Wehrmachtbericht
- Scherzer 2007, p. 702.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 – Die Inhaber der höchsten Auszeichnung des Zweiten Weltkrieges aller Wehrmachtsteile [The Bearers of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939–1945 — The Owners of the Highest Award of the Second World War of all Wehrmacht Branches] (in German). Friedberg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 978-3-7909-0284-6.
- Range, Clemens (1974). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kriegsmarine [The Knight's Cross Bearers of the Navy]. Stuttgart, Germany: Motorbuch Verlag. ISBN 978-3-87943-355-1.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Die Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives [The Knight's Cross Bearers 1939–1945 The Holders of the Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross 1939 by Army, Air Force, Navy, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm and Allied Forces with Germany According to the Documents of the Federal Archives] (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- "Richard Seuss". Deutsches Marinearchiv (in German). Retrieved 22 June 2011.
- "Richard Seuss". Lexikon der Wehrmacht (in German). Retrieved 22 June 2011.