28 August 1897|
|Died||26 September 1963
|Allegiance|| German Empire (to 1918)
Nazi Germany (to 1945)
German Federal Navy
|Years of service||1917–1919, 1935–1945, –1963|
|Rank||Oberleutnant of the Reserves (Wehrmacht)
Korvettenkapitän of the Reserves (Bundeswehr)
|Unit||Marine Artillerie Abteilung 608|
|Battles/wars||World War II|
|Awards||Knight's Cross with Oak Leaves|
Richard Seuss became chief of the naval artillery battery "Île de Cézembre" at Saint-Malo on 23 August 1942. The battle for the French harbour city Saint-Malo started after the Allied invasion at Normandy. Fortress commander was Oberst Andreas von Aulock and harbour commander was Kapitän zur See Werner Endell. The VIII US Army Corps under the command of Major General Troy H. Middleton reached St Malo on 3 August 1944 and by 5 August the city was encircled. Oberleutnant Seuss and his artillery battery engaged the US forces, inflicting substantial losses. Richard Seuss was awarded the Knight's Cross for these actions and was taken prisoner of war on 2 September 1944 followed by the Oak Leaves on 2 September 1944.
- Iron Cross (1939) 2nd Class and 1st Class
- Knight's Cross of the Iron Cross with Oak Leaves
- Knight's Cross on 15 August 1944 as Oberleutnant (Naval Artillery) of the Reserves and chief of the naval battery "Ile de Cécembre"/Marine-Artillery-Abteilung 608
- 577th Oak Leaves on 2 September 1944 as Oberleutnant (Naval Artillery) of the Reserves and chief of the naval battery "Ile de Cécembre"/Marine-Artillery-Abteilung 608
- Mentioned two times in the Wehrmachtbericht
- Scherzer 2007, p. 702.
- Fellgiebel, Walther-Peer (2000). Die Träger des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939–1945 (in German). Friedburg, Germany: Podzun-Pallas. ISBN 3-7909-0284-5.
- Range, Clemens (1974). Die Ritterkreuzträger der Kriegsmarine (in German). Stuttgart, Germany: Motorbuch Verlag. ISBN 3-87943-355-0.
- Scherzer, Veit (2007). Ritterkreuzträger 1939–1945 Die Inhaber des Ritterkreuzes des Eisernen Kreuzes 1939 von Heer, Luftwaffe, Kriegsmarine, Waffen-SS, Volkssturm sowie mit Deutschland verbündeter Streitkräfte nach den Unterlagen des Bundesarchives (in German). Jena, Germany: Scherzers Miltaer-Verlag. ISBN 978-3-938845-17-2.
- "Richard Seuss". Deutsches Marinearchiv (in German). Retrieved 22 June 2011.
- "Richard Seuss". Lexikon der Wehrmacht (in German). Retrieved 22 June 2011.