Richard Shindell, after a concert, April, 2006.
|Birth name||Richard Shindell|
|Born||1960 (age 52–53)
Lakehurst, New Jersey, US
|Associated acts||Cry Cry Cry|
Richard Shindell (born 1960, Lakehurst, New Jersey) is an American folk songwriter. Shindell grew up in Port Washington, New York. He lives in Buenos Aires, Argentina, with his wife, a university professor, and their children.
Shindell's songwriting often involves storytelling from a first-person point of view: an INS officer and illegal immigrant in "Fishing," a World War II soldier in "Sparrow's Point," a Confederate drummerboy in "Arrowhead," an Argentine grandmother in "Abuelita," and a power broker in "Confession." His other personas include a New York City cab driver in "Last Fare of the Day," a man on death row in "Ascent," a Civil War widow in "Reunion Hill," and Mary Magdalene.
Shindell's career received a boost in 1997 when Joan Baez recorded three of his songs ("Fishing," "Reunion Hill" and "Money for Floods") for her album Gone from Danger and invited the aspiring singer-songwriter to join her 1997–98 tour.
Shindell collaborated with Dar Williams and Lucy Kaplansky to form the group Cry Cry Cry. On their eponymous 1998 album, Cry Cry Cry covered an eclectic mix of songwriters, from the well known (R.E.M.) to the lesser known (folk singer James Keelaghan). The trio toured in support of their album before resuming solo careers. While plans for future recordings have not been forthcoming, Shindell and Kaplansky often appear on stage together.
- Sparrows Point (Shanachie, 1992)
- Blue Divide (Shanachie, 1994)
- Reunion Hill (Shanachie, 1997)
- Cry Cry Cry (Razor & Tie, 1998), with Dar Williams and Lucy Kaplansky
- Somewhere Near Paterson (Signature Sounds, February 8, 2000)
- Courier (Signature Sounds, February 12, 2002)
- Vuelta (Koch Records, August 24, 2004)
- South of Delia (Richard Shindell Music, 2007)
- Live at the Chandler Music Hall, Randolph, VT (2007) [Described as Archive Series #1, limited edition recording of a concert from November 11, 2006]
- Not Far Now (Signature Sounds, 2009)
- 13 Songs You May Or May Not Have Heard Before (Amalgamated Balladry, 2011)
- Scenes from a Blue Divide (Shanachie, 1995)
- Spring (Signature Sounds 1256-2, 2000). Contains "Spring" (single edit), "Confession" (acoustic version), "Shades of Black, Shades of Blue" (Charles Lyonhart), and "Spring/Summer Reel" (album version)
- 3x2 Sampler (Signature Sounds, 2000). Contains "Beyond the Iron Gate" (alternate version), "Abuelita", and "Transit" (album versions). Also contains three songs by Peter Mulvey.
- The Sonora Sessions (Signature Sounds, 2001)
- Mariana's EP (Amalgamated Balladry, 2009)
Various artists compilations:
- Main Stage Live: Falcon Ridge Folk Festival (Signature Sounds 1253, 1999). Contains live version of "Paddy's Green Shamrock Shore" (traditional arranged by R. Shindell).
- Wonderland: A Winter Solstice Celebration (Signature Sounds 1266, 2002). Contains "Before You Go".
- The Folk Next Door: A Collection of Connecticut Roots Music (WWUH 1992). Contains live version of "Home Team".
- Henkle, Doug, "FolkLib Index"
- Richard Shindell Official Site
- Richard Shindell, Live in Kent, Ohio from folkalley.com
- Shades of black, shades of blue on Charles Lyonhart's site