Richard Shuttleworth (racing driver)
16 July 1909|
Old Warden, Bedfordshire, England
|Died||2 August 1940
Ewelme, Oxfordshire, England
Richard Ormonde Shuttleworth (1909–1940) was a racing motorist, aviator and prolific collector of veteran cars and aircraft. His collection forms the nucleus of the Shuttleworth Collection. Pilot Officer Shuttleworth was killed in an accident whilst flying a Fairey Battle.
Shuttleworth participated in his first London to Brighton Veteran Car Run in 1928. He often entered more than one car for this event. He participated 1928–1938 except for 1935 where: "R. O. Shuttleworth failed to send in his entry before the closing date but joined up with the others at Westminster Bridge with a Benz. His companion at the wheel was Charles Martin and their hairy goat-skin coats which dated from the same period as the car, were much admired."
He won the Brighton Speed Trials on a Bugatti Type 51 in 1934, and again in 1935 on an Alfa-Romeo P3 Tipo B, breaking Sir Malcolm Campbell's course record. He also won a one-off hillclimb at Joel Park, Northwood Hill, Middlesex, on 22 June 1935, on a Bugatti, in a time of 30.16 sec. His greatest victory came in the Donington Grand Prix in 1935. He won the Mountain Championship at Brooklands later that year. In 1936 he had a bad crash in his Alfa Romeo at the South African Grand Prix. The injuries suffered caused him to retire from motor racing.
He collected and repaired for flight old aircraft at workshops at Old Warden. These he flew at air displays.
- Flight, Here and There, p111, 8 August 1940
- Ogilvy 1989, Ch. 1.
- Motor Sport, September 1940, Page 168 - for a full obituary.
- Motor Sport, December 1935, Page 68.
- Motor Sport, October 1934, Page 554.
- The Observer, 15 September 1935, Page 29.
- The Autocar, 28 June 1935, Page 1157.
- Motor Sport, September 1935, Page 13. For a picture of Shuttleworth at Donington in the Alfa Romeo see: Automobile Quarterly, Vol 49, No 1, Page 9.
- The Observer, 20 October 1935, Page 36.
- Motor Sport, September 1945, Page 247.
- Kevin Desmond, Richard Shuttleworth: An Illustrated Biography, (Jane’s Publishing Co Ltd., 1982).
- Ogilvy, David. Shuttleworth - The Historic Aeroplanes. Shrewsbury, England: Airlife Publishing Ltd., 1989 ISBN 1-85310-106-0
- Shuttleworth, Dorothy Clotida, "Richard Ormonde Shuttleworth: Reminiscences of his life by his Mother". No place or date (privately published)