Richard E. Sylla is Henry Kaufman Professor of the History of Financial Institutions and Markets and a professor of economics, entrepreneurship, and innovation at New York University Stern School of Business. He teaches courses in financial history, economic and business history of the United States, and comparative enterprise systems. Professor Sylla also teaches for the TRIUM Global Executive MBA Program alliance of NYU Stern, the London School of Economics and HEC School of Management, and serves as Academic Director of Executive Programs at NYU Stern.
Prior to joining Stern, Professor Sylla taught at North Carolina State and the University of Pennsylvania. His primary areas of research include historical studies of money, banking, and finance, and he is the past editor of Journal of Economic History and serves on the editorial board of many journals, including Financial History Review, Enterprise and Society, and Economic and Financial History Abstracts. He once served as President of the Economic History Association and the Business History Conference, and is currently a Trustee of the Museum of American Finance. Professor Sylla has received several awards and grants including National Science Foundation grants, an Alfred P. Sloan Foundation grant, and the Citibank Award for Excellence in Teaching at the Stern School.
Sylla's brother, James, who was president of Chevron U.S.A. Inc., died in the crash of Pacific Southwest Airlines Flight 1771 in 1987.
Professor Sylla has published three books.
- Homer, S. and R. Sylla (2005). A History of Interest Rates, Fourth Edition. Wiley Finance.
- Ratner, S., J. Soltow, and R. Sylla (1993). The Evolution of the American Economy: Growth, Welfare, and Decision Making. MacMillan Publishing Company.
- Sylla, R. The American Capital Market, Eighteen Forty-Six to Nineteen Fourteen: A Study of the Effects of Public Policy on Economic Development (Dissertations in American Economic History Ser.). Arno Press.
- Rousseau, P. and R. Sylla (2001 (Aug)). Financial Systems, Economic Growth, and Globalization 65 (3). Nashville: Vanderbilt University.
- Sylla R. and R. Wright (1994). Networks and History’s Generalizations: Comparing the Financial Systems of Germany, Japan, Great Britain, and the United States of America 2. Business and Economic History On-Line.
- Sylla, R. (1995 (Nov)). The Rise of Securities Markets: What Can Government Do?. The World Bank.
- NYU Stern Biography
- Department of Economics Biography
- USA Today Articles
- List of Professor Sylla's books on Amazon
- TRIUM Global Executive MBA Program