Richard Taylor (filmmaker)
|Sir Richard Taylor
Richard Taylor, 2003
|Born||Richard Leslie Taylor
Patumahoe, New Zealand
Raised in the small town of Patumahoe, just outside of Pukekohe, Taylor was educated at Wesley College, Paerata.
A close friend of Peter Jackson, he and his company created all of the props, costumes, prosthetics, miniatures and weaponry for Jackson's epic The Lord of the Rings film trilogy. For his work on the three films, he shared in winning four Academy Awards. This included two for The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring in Make Up and Visual Effects, and two for The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King in Costume Design and Make Up.
Taylor can be seen and heard on all of The Lord of the Rings DVDs, in behind-the-scenes documentaries and on the audio commentaries on the extended edition DVDs. He also appeared on set to give direction to actors and stunt personnel in several fight scenes.
Both Richard Taylor and Weta Workshop appear in the documentary film, Reclaiming the Blade, where they discussed the creative and technical process of how movie props (specifically swords) are created at Weta Workshop. Swords created by Weta for films such as The Lord of the Rings and The Chronicles of Narnia are featured in the film as well.
Weta Workshop has also worked on The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, the Witch and the Wardrobe. Richard Taylor and his crew designed and built all the armor, weapons and special props for the film. The company were also heavily involved in the making of Peter Jackson's interpretation of King Kong for which he won his fifth Academy Award, in Visual Effects.
In the New Year Honours 2004 Taylor was appointed to an Officer of the New Zealand Order of Merit for services to design and the film industry. In the New Year Honours 2010 Taylor was promoted to a Knight Companion of the New Zealand Order of Merit for services to film.
In February 2012 Taylor was named New Zealander of the year, beating out finalists World of Wearable Arts founder Dame Suzie Moncrieff and Auckland plastic surgeon Dr Sharad Paul, nominated for his work on skin cancer.
Awards and nominations 
- Nominated: Best Costume Design, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
- Won: Best Makeup, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
- Won: Best Visual Effects, The Lord of the Rings: The Fellowship of the Ring (2001)
- Won: Best Makeup, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
- Won: Best Costume Design, The Lord of the Rings: The Return of the King (2003)
- Won: Best Visual Effects, King Kong (2005)
- "Alumni Galleria". Massey University. Retrieved 2009-01-20.
- "2009 World Class NZ Awards Gala Dinner". Kea - New Zealand's global network. 15 April 2009. Retrieved November 4, 2011.
- "New Year Honours 2004" (14 January 2004) 4 New Zealand Gazette 73.
- "Queen's Birthday Honours 2010" (6 July 2010) 79 New Zealand Gazette 2153.
- "Richard Taylor named NZer of the Year". 3 News NZ. 17 February 2012.