No. 28, 44
|Date of birth:September 21, 1946|
|Place of birth: Lynwood, California|
|High school: Manatee High School
|College: University of Florida|
|NFL Draft: 1968 / Round: 3 / Pick: 83|
|Debuted in 1968 for the Buffalo Bills|
|Last played in 1969 for the San Diego Chargers|
Career highlights and awards
Career NFL statistics as of 1969
|Stats at pro-football-reference.com|
|Stats at DatabaseFootball.com|
Richard Earl Trapp (born September 21, 1946) was an American college and professional football player who was a wide receiver in the American Football League (AFL) for two seasons during the late 1960s. Trapp played college football for the University of Florida, and thereafter, played professionally for the Buffalo Bills and San Diego Chargers of the AFL.
Trapp received an athletic scholarship to attend the University of Florida in Gainesville, Florida, where he played for coach Ray Graves' Florida Gators football team from 1965 to 1967. In three seasons as a starting wide receiver for the Gators, he totaled 1,783 receiving yards, and compiled eight games where he caught passes for 100 yards or more. Memorably, in 1966 he caught passes for 148 yards against the Auburn Tigers, and 150 yards against the Ole Miss Rebels; in 1967, he compiled 171 receiving yards against the Georgia Bulldogs. Trapp was a first-team All-Southeastern Conference (SEC) selection in 1966 and 1967, and the recipient of the Gators' Fergie Ferguson Award in 1967. He also played for coach Dave Fuller's Florida Gators baseball team in 1967 and 1968.
The Buffalo Bills selected Trapp in the third round (83rd pick overall) of the 1968 combined draft, and he played for the Bills during the 1968 season. During his one year with the Bills, he played in all 14 games, and caught 24 passes for 235 yards. During his second season, he saw limited action with the San Diego Chargers in eight games. He finished his professional football career with 26 receptions for 274 yards.
Life after football
Trapp is a practicing attorney in Orlando, Florida.
- Florida Gators
- Florida Gators football, 1960–69
- List of Florida Gators football players
- List of Levin College of Law graduates
- List of University of Florida alumni
- Pro-Football-Reference.com, Players, Richard Trapp. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- databaseFootball.com, Players, Richard Trapp. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- 2011 Florida Gators Football Media Guide, University Athletic Association, Gainesville, Florida, pp. 96, 98, 103, 143–145, 148, 150, 164, 186 (2011). Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- Pro Football Hall of Fame, Draft History, 1968 National Football League / American Football League Draft. Retrieved March 19, 2012.
- National Football League, Historical Players, Richard Trapp. Retrieved September 11, 2011.
- Carlson, Norm, University of Florida Football Vault: The History of the Florida Gators, Whitman Publishing, LLC, Atlanta, Georgia (2007). ISBN 0-7948-2298-3.
- Golenbock, Peter, Go Gators! An Oral History of Florida's Pursuit of Gridiron Glory, Legends Publishing, LLC, St. Petersburg, Florida (2002). ISBN 0-9650782-1-3.
- Hairston, Jack, Tales from the Gator Swamp: A Collection of the Greatest Gator Stories Ever Told, Sports Publishing, LLC, Champaign, Illinois (2002). ISBN 1-58261-514-4.
- McCarthy, Kevin M., Fightin' Gators: A History of University of Florida Football, Arcadia Publishing, Mount Pleasant, South Carolina (2000). ISBN 978-0-7385-0559-6.
- McEwen, Tom, The Gators: A Story of Florida Football, The Strode Publishers, Huntsville, Alabama (1974). ISBN 0-87397-025-X.
- Nash, Noel, ed., The Gainesville Sun Presents The Greatest Moments in Florida Gators Football, Sports Publishing, Inc., Champaign, Illinois (1998). ISBN 1-57167-196-X.