Richard W. Garnett
Richard W. Garnett (born November 6, 1968) is an associate dean and professor of law at Notre Dame Law School, teaching in the areas of criminal law, criminal procedure, First Amendment law, and the death penalty. He has contributed to research in such topics as school choice and Catholic social teaching. His articles have appeared in a variety of prominent law journals, including the Cornell Law Review, the Georgetown Law Journal, the Michigan Law Review, and the UCLA Law Review. He also regularly appears in The New York Times, USA Today, and The Wall Street Journal and as a guest on National Public Radio.
Education and Experience
Raised in Alaska, Garnett majored in philosophy at Duke University. He earned his J.D. from Yale Law School. He clerked for Judge Richard Sheppard Arnold on the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eighth Circuit, then for Chief Justice William H. Rehnquist on the United States Supreme Court. He practiced for two years at Miller, Cassidy, Larroca & Lewin in Washington, D.C.
- "Richard W. Garnett, Professor of Law". Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- Garnett, Richard W. (2003). "The New Federalism, the Spending Power, and Federal Criminal Law". Cornell Law Review 89 (1): 1–94. SSRN 428903.
- Garnett, Richard W. (2006). "Religion, Division, and the First Amendment". Georgetown Law Journal 94 (6): 1667–1724. SSRN 855104.
- Garnett, Richard W. (2004). "American Conversations With(in) Catholicism". Michigan Law Review 102 (6): 1191–1218. JSTOR 4141942.
- Garnett, Richard W. (2004). "Assimilation, Toleration, and the State's Interest in the Development of Religious Doctrine". UCLA Law Review 51 (6): 1645–1702. SSRN 564601.
- Linda Greenhouse (1 July 2007). "In Steps Big and Small, Supreme Court Moved Right". The New York Times. p. A1. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- Richard W. Garnett (25 March 2007). "On religious liberty, what would Kagan do?". USA Today. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- Richard W. Garnett (26 July 2010). "China's lesson on freedom of religion". USA Today. Retrieved 2010-07-27.
- Richard W. Garnett (16 July 2006). "Downsizing and the Catholic Church". USA Today. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- Richard W. Garnett (16 April 2006). "Campaigning from the pulpit: Why not?". USA Today. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- Richard W. Garnett (17 April 2010). "The Minority Court". The Wall Street Journal. Retrieved 2010-04-17.
- Nina Totenberg (7 April 2010). "Supreme Court May Soon Lack Protestant Justices". National Public Radio. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- Alex Chadwick (5 September 2005). "A Former Clerk Recalls the Chief Justice". National Public Radio. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- Nina Totenberg (3 July 2007). "The Roberts Court and the Role of Precedent". National Public Radio. Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- "Richard W. Garnett, Curriculum Vitae". Retrieved 2010-04-15.
- Richard W. Garnett faculty page
- Richard W. Garnett's Social Science Research Network articles page
- Mirror of Justice, a Catholic legal theory blog
- PrawfsBlawg, a blog for legal professors