Richburg, South Carolina
|Richburg, South Carolina|
Location of Richburg, South Carolina
|• Mayor||Mario Betanco|
|• Total||0.8 sq mi (2.1 km2)|
|• Land||0.8 sq mi (2.1 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||584 ft (178 m)|
|• Density||400.2/sq mi (154.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||ES (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1250370|
Geography and climate
Richburg is located at .(34.717374, -81.019635)
According to the United States Census Bureau, the town has a total area of 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 332 people, 122 households, and 87 families residing in the town. The population density was 400.2 people per square mile (154.4/km²). There were 134 housing units at an average density of 161.5 per square mile (62.3/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 23.49% White, 74.70% African American, 1.20% Asian, and 0.60% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 1.20% of the population.
There were 122 households out of which 31.1% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 38.5% were married couples living together, 27.0% had a female householder with no husband present, and 27.9% were non-families. 24.6% of all households were made up of individuals and 15.6% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.72 and the average family size was 3.26.
In the town the population was spread out with 24.7% under the age of 18, 7.8% from 18 to 24, 21.7% from 25 to 44, 29.5% from 45 to 64, and 16.3% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 77.5 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 71.2 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $31,875, and the median income for a family was $40,000. Males had a median income of $35,893 versus $18,295 for females. The per capita income for the town was $13,048. About 9.7% of families and 13.6% of the population were below the poverty line, including 22.5% of those under age 18 and 21.4% of those age 65 or over.
WRBK, 90.3 FM, a noncommercial station that primarily features classic oldies
- Buck Baker, NASCAR driver
- Sheldon Brown, professional football player
- Marty Marion baseball player (birthplace)
- Charles D. Perry (2008-10-06). "Some big shoes to fill". The Herald.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. 2010-07-09.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.