|Full name||Richard Rohan Barnett|
21 April 1972 |
Auckland, New Zealand
|Height||184 cm (6 ft 0 in)|
|Weight||91 kg (14 st 5 lb)|
|1992–93||New Zealand Māori|
Richie Barnett (born 21 April 1972 in Auckland, New Zealand) is a former professional rugby league footballer of the 1990s and 2000s. A New Zealand national representative fullback, he also captained the side during his career, during which he played for clubs in New Zealand, Australia and England. Following his playing career he became a columnist for The New Zealand Herald.
While playing in New Zealand Barnett was selected to play in the 1992 Pacific Cup for the New Zealand Māori side. He joined Sydney club, Cronulla-Sutherland Sharks in 1994. The following year Barnett was selected to represent New Zealand at the 1995 World Cup. He was selected for New Zealand in the 1996 Super League World Nines tournament. He was selected to play at fullback for the Kiwis in the 1997 ANZAC Test. He also played in the 1997 Super League World Nines.
Barnett left the Sharks for cross-town rivals, the Sydney Roosters for the 1998 season. That year he was selected to go on the 1998 New Zealand rugby league tour of Great Britain and played at fullback in all three Tests, scoring two tries. The following year he was selected for the New Zealand team to compete in the end of season 1999 Rugby League Tri-Nations tournament. In the final against Australia he captained the Kiwis at fullback in their 22-20 loss. Barnett's 2000 season was cut short by a facial fracture he suffered during the 2000 ANZAC Test. He recovered in time to be selected to captain New Zealand from fullback at the 2000 World Cup. Barnett was succeeded as captain of New Zealand by Nathan Cayless.
He currently works as a broadcaster for SKY Network Television.
- BARNETT, RICHARD ROHAN 1995 - 2000 - KIWI #664 nzleague.co.nz
- "Richie Barnett". The New Zealand Herald. APN New Zealand. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- John Coffey, Bernie Wood (2008). 100 years: Māori rugby league, 1908-2008. Huia Publishers. pp. 276–279. ISBN 9781869693312.
- Whiticker, Alan. "Richie Barnett". rugbyleagueproject.org. Shawn Dollin, Andrew Ferguson and Bill Bates. Retrieved 1 August 2014.
- SL stats
- NRL stats
- Hull sign Broncos ace Barnett
- Barnett leads London fight
- Barnett predicts tough battle
- Barnett eyes cross-code switch
- Stats → PastPlayers → B at hullfc.com
- Statistics at hullfc.com