|Nickname||The Prince of Wales|
7 February 1967 |
Cwmparc, Rhondda, Wales
|Home town||Cwmparc, Rhondda
|Playing darts since||1983|
|Darts||Red Dragon Richie Burnett|
|Walk-on music||Dakota by Stereophonics|
|Organisation (see split in darts)|
|Current world ranking||26|
|BDO majors - best performances|
|World Ch'ship||Winner 1995|
|World Masters||Winner 1994|
|Int. Darts League||Preliminary: 2007|
|PDC premier events - best performances|
|World Ch'ship||Quarter-finals: 2002, 2003|
|World Matchplay||Runner-up: 2001|
|World Grand Prix||Semi-finals: 2011|
|Ch'ship League||Semi-finals: 2013|
|Desert Classic||Quarter-finals: 2004|
|European Ch'ship||Last 16: 2012|
|UK Open||Last 16: 2007, 2011|
|US Open/WSoD||Last 64: 2010|
|Players Ch'ship Finals||Last 32: 2011, 2011, 2012, 2013|
|Other tournament wins|
|9 Dart Finish UK Open Qualifier 2012|
Richie Burnett (born 7 February 1967 in Cwmparc, Rhondda) is a Welsh professional darts player who was the 1995 Embassy World Darts Champion and currently plays in Professional Darts Corporation events. His nickname is The Prince of Wales.
Burnett first came to prominence shortly after the split in the game. After the WDC and the BDO players went their separate ways from 1994, Burnett began to win several titles in the BDO. During that first year after the split, he won the Dutch Open, Welsh Open, British Matchplay and the Denmark Open. He then added one of the two BDO major titles, the Winmau World Masters beating Steve Beaton in the final.
Although the 1995 BDO World Darts Championship was his debut, he had risen in the rankings to become number two seed and eventually went on to win the title, beating Raymond van Barneveld 6–3 (sets) in the final.
He would also reach the final of the BDO World Championship on two more occasions, losing in 1996 to Steve Beaton and in 1998 to Raymond van Barneveld. His 1996 final defeat was his first match loss at Lakeside and ended a run of nine consecutive match wins. The 1998 final went down the 11th and deciding set and Burnett had an out-shot for the title, but wired his dart at treble-14 which would have left him on a double, and did not get another opportunity to win the match. A year later, after first round defeat in the 1999 World Championship to Ronnie Baxter, he switched to compete on the PDC circuit.
Since joining the PDC, Burnett's overall record has not been as successful as his time in the BDO. His best performance to date came by reaching the final of the 2001 World Matchplay. At the World Championships, he twice reached the quarter finals (2002 and 2003), but his world ranking steadily fell afterwards and by the end of 2006 he had almost slipped out of the top 50. As a result he now has to qualify for all the major PDC tournaments, and failed to qualify for the World Championships for the first time in 2006.
This led to six years of poor form and falling world rankings with his only television appearances between 2005 and 2010 coming at the UK Open, apart from his run in the qualifying rounds for the 2007 PDC World Darts Championship when he won four matches to make it to the television stages. However, he lost in the first round to Alex Roy. He was also reported to be suffering from dartitis which was visible at the 2009 UK Open where he lost in the first round.
He showed an improvement in October 2010 by reaching the semi-finals of the John McEvoy Gold Dart Classic, losing in a last-leg decider to Gary Anderson. A week later, he reached two successive PDC Pro Tour finals in Bad Nauheim, Germany - losing 4–6 to fellow Welshman Mark Webster on Saturday, and then by the same scoreline to Simon Whitlock on Sunday. His improved form earned him qualification for the 2011 World Championships and the 2011 Players Championship Finals. The improvement continued throughout 2011 reaching the semi finals of the World Grand Prix where he lost to Phil Taylor. He also claimed his first ever PDC Pro Tour title in September beating Dave Chisnall in the final.
Burnett secured the first shock of the 2012 World Championships by defeating fellow countryman and number six seed, Mark Webster, 3-2 in the first round. He lost nine out of the first ten legs in his second round match to John Part and, although he did win a set, was beaten 1-4. He then teamed up with Webster for the World Cup and together they reached the semi-finals with wins over Croatia and South Africa. They couldn't reach the final however, as the English pair of Phil Taylor and Adrian Lewis won 1–3. In March he hit a nine-dart finish in the fourth UK Open Qualifier during a first round match against Michael Barnard. Burnett was later knocked out in the fourth round of the event by Dennis Priestley. He then made it to the quarter-finals of the Austrian Darts Open where he lost 3–6 to Raymond van Barneveld. Burnett lost 4–9 in the last 32 of the UK Open to Peter Wright. In the first round of the European Darts Open Burnett produced a stunning 121 average during a 6–2 win over Andy Jenkins, and went on to reach the semi-finals where he lost 4–6 to Raymond van Barneveld. At the World Matchplay, Burnett suffered a 5–10 defeat to James Wade in the first round. After all 33 ProTour events of 2012 had been played, Burnett was 22nd on the Order of Merit, comfortably inside the top 32 who qualified for the Players Championship Finals. He was defeated by Adrian Lewis 3–6 in the first round.
In the first round of the 2013 World Championship, Burnett came through a deciding set against James Hubbard and a partisan crowd to set up a clash with Andy Hamilton. Burnett won the first set, but then missed five darts to go 2–0 up and went on to lose 1–4. He played in his second World Cup of Darts with Mark Webster and they reached the semi-finals where they faced the number one seeds of Phil Taylor and Adrian Lewis. Webster lost to Taylor, but Burnett defeated Lewis 4–3 meaning a doubles match was needed to settle the tie. Burnett missed one dart at double ten to complete a 140 finish for the match and Wales would lose 4–3. Burnett beat Webster 9–2 in the third round of the UK Open, but then lost 9–6 to Steve West in the subsequent round. At the German Darts Championship Burnett came through final leg deciders against James Richardson and Robert Thornton and then averaged almost 102 in beating Steve Brown 6–2. His best run of the year continued with a 6–4 quarter-final success over Jamie Caven before missing one match dart in the semis against Peter Wright to lose 6–5. Burnett topped Group 7 of the Championship League and then beat Kim Huybrechts 6–3 in the semi-finals and survived five match darts in the final against Gary Anderson to win 6–5. In the Winners Group he won four of his seven games to finish third in the table and advance to the play-offs where he was defeated 6–2 by Michael van Gerwen.
Burnett beat Dean Winstanley 3–1 in the opening round of the 2014 World Championship and then saw off Andy Hamilton 4–1 to advance to the third round for the first time since 2005. He led Ian White 3–1 but could only win two of the next eleven legs to lose 4–3. Burnett and Webster advanced to the quarter-finals of the World Cup of Darts, where their match against the Australian pairing of Simon Whitlock and Paul Nicholson went into a deciding doubles match which Wales lost 4–0. Burnett was involved in two one-sided contests at the World Matchplay as he defeated Brendan Dolan 10–4 in the first round and then lost 13–2 to James Wade in the second. In September he reached his first final on the PDC tour in almost three years at the 13th Players Championship, beating world number one Michael van Gerwen along the way, and led Gary Anderson 3–1 and 5–3, but would lose 6–5. He missed 11 starting doubles in the deciding leg of his first round match against Simon Whitlock at the World Grand Prix, but still managed to win the match with a 121 finish. Burnett stated afterwards that he felt the only thing keeping from being a top eight ranked player was consistency. His run continued with a 3–1 win over Terry Jenkins, before losing by a reverse of this scoreline to Stephen Bunting in the quarter-finals.
BDO major finals: 6 (2 titles, 4 runner-ups)
|Outcome||No.||Year||Championship||Opponent in the final||Score[N 1]|
|Winner||1.||1994||Winmau World Masters||Steve Beaton||3–2 (s)|
|Winner||2.||1995||BDO World Darts Championship||Raymond van Barneveld||6–3 (s)|
|Runner-up||1.||1995||Winmau World Masters||Erik Clarys||0–3 (s)|
|Runner-up||2.||1996||BDO World Darts Championship||Steve Beaton||3–6 (s)|
|Runner-up||3.||1996||Winmau World Masters||Colin Monk||2–3 (s)|
|Runner-up||4.||1998||BDO World Darts Championship||Raymond van Barneveld||5–6 (s)|
- (l) = score in legs, (s) = score in sets.
PDC major finals: 1 (1 runner-up)
|Outcome||No.||Year||Championship||Opponent in the final||Score[N 1]|
|Runner-up||1.||2001||World Matchplay||Phil Taylor||10–18 (l)|
- (l) = score in legs, (s) = score in sets.
World Championship results
- 1995: Winner (beat Raymond van Barneveld 6–3)
- 1996: Runner-up (lost to Steve Beaton 3–6)
- 1997: Second round (lost to Leo Laurens 0–3)
- 1998: Runner-up (lost to Raymond van Barneveld 5–6)
- 1999: First round (lost to Ronnie Baxter 0–3)
- 2001: Second round (lost to Keith Deller 2–3)
- 2002: Quarter-finals (lost to Colin Lloyd 4–6)
- 2003: Quarter-finals (lost to Kevin Painter 2–5)
- 2004: Third round (lost to Simon Whatley 3–4)
- 2005: Third round (lost to Mark Dudbridge 3–4)
- 2007: First round (lost to Alex Roy 0–3)
- 2011: First round (lost to Alan Tabern 2–3)
- 2012: Second round (lost to John Part 1–4)
- 2013: Second round (lost to Andy Hamilton 1–4)
- 2014: Third round (lost to Ian White 3–4)
- Darts Database-->. "1994 Dutch Open Player Prize Money". Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- Darts Database-->. "1994 Welsh Open Player Prize Money". Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- Darts Database-->. "1994 British Matchplay Results". Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- Darts Database-->. "1994 Denmark Open Player Prize Money". Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- Darts Database-->. "1994 World Masters Results". Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- Mastercaller-->. "1995 Lakeside World Championship". Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- Darts Database-->. "Richie Burnett Player Profile". Retrieved 24 October 2010.
- Webster Claims Maiden PDC Win PDC.tv
- Whitlock Continues Amazing Run PDC.tv
- "Richie Burnett upsets Mark Webster in PDC opener". BBC Sport. 15 December 2011. Retrieved 16 December 2011.
- "World Championship - Day Ten". PDC. Retrieved 27 December 2011.
- "Cash Converters World Cup Semi-Finals Round-Up". PDC. 5 February 2012. Retrieved 7 February 2012.
- "Taylor Completes Qualifying Double". PDC. 24 March 2012. Retrieved 25 March 2012.
- "2012 PDC European Tour Vienna Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 29 April 2012.
- "2012 UK Open Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 11 June 2012.
- "European Darts Open Day One". PDC. Retrieved 6 July 2012.
- "2012 PDC European Tour Dusseldorf Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- "Betfair World Matchplay - Night Two". PDC. Retrieved 22 July 2012.
- "Minehead Qualifiers Confirmed". PDC. Retrieved 25 November 2012.
- "Cash Converters PCF Day One". PDC. Retrieved 30 November 2012.
- "Wayne Jones and Andy Smith lose first round matches at the World Championships". Sky Sports. Retrieved 15 December 2012.
- "Ladbrokes WDC Day Eight". PDC. Retrieved 21 December 2012.
- "Betfair World Cup of Darts - Semi-Finals". PDC. Retrieved 3 February 2013.
- "Speedy Services UK Open - Friday". PDC. Retrieved 8 June 2013.
- "Speedy Services UK Open - Fourth Round". PDC. Retrieved 9 June 2013.
- "German Darts Championship Third Round". PDC. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- "Superb Chisnall Claims German Title". PDC. Retrieved 9 December 2013.
- "Seventh Heaven For Burnett". PDC. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "Taylor Seals Championship League Treble". PDC. Retrieved 25 October 2013.
- "2013 PDC World Championship Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 27 December 2013.
- "Ladbrokes World Championship Day 12". PDC. 27 December 2013.
- "bwin World Cup of Darts Quarter-Finals". PDC. Retrieved 8 June 2014.
- "2014 World Matchplay Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "Six Of The Best For Anderson". PDC. Retrieved 14 September 2014.
- "partypoker.com WGP Day Two". PDC. Retrieved 7 December 2014.
- "2014 World Grand Prix Results". Darts Database. Retrieved 8 December 2014.
- "PDC Statement: Richie Burnett". PDC. 1 December 2014. Retrieved 1 December 2014.
- Player profile on Richie Burnett from Dartsdatabase