Richland County, Ohio
|Richland County, Ohio|
Richland County Courthouse
Location in the state of Ohio
Ohio's location in the U.S.
|Founded||March 1, 1808|
|Named for||the fertile soil there|
|• Total||500.08 sq mi (1,295 km2)|
|• Land||495.27 sq mi (1,283 km2)|
|• Water||4.81 sq mi (12 km2), 0.96%|
|• Density||251.3/sq mi (97/km²)|
|Time zone||Eastern: UTC-5/-4|
Richland County is a county located in the state of Ohio, United States. According to the 2010 census, it has a population of 124,475, which is a decrease of 3.4% from 128,852 in 2000. It is included in the Mansfield, Ohio, Metropolitan Statistical Area as well as the Mansfield–Bucyrus Combined Statistical Area.
According to the 2010 census, the county has a total area of 500.08 square miles (1,295.2 km2), of which 495.27 square miles (1,282.7 km2) (or 99.04%) is land and 4.81 square miles (12.5 km2) (or 0.96%) is water.
- Huron County (north)
- Ashland County (east)
- Knox County (south)
- Morrow County (southwest)
- Crawford County (west)
As of the census of 2000, there were 128,852 people, 49,534 households, and 34,277 families residing in the county. The population density was 259 people per square mile (100/km²). There were 53,062 housing units at an average density of 107 per square mile (41/km²). The racial makeup of the county was 88.16% White, 9.43% Black or African American, 0.20% Native American, 0.51% Asian, 0.03% Pacific Islander, 0.38% from other races, and 1.28% from two or more races. 0.93% of the population were Hispanic or Latino of any race. 96.0% spoke English, 1.2% German and 1.2% Spanish as their first language.
There were 49,534 households out of which 30.90% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 54.30% were married couples living together, 11.40% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.80% were non-families. 26.50% of all households were made up of individuals and 10.90% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.47 and the average family size was 2.98.
In the county, the population was spread out with 24.80% under the age of 18, 8.40% from 18 to 24, 28.60% from 25 to 44, 24.10% from 45 to 64, and 14.20% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 38 years. For every 100 females there were 101.30 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 99.30 males.
The median income for a household in the county was $37,397, and the median income for a family was $45,036. Males had a median income of $35,425 versus $22,859 for females. The per capita income for the county was $18,582. About 8.20% of families and 10.60% of the population were below the poverty line, including 15.30% of those under age 18 and 7.70% of those age 65 or over.
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (September 2008)|
- Commissioners: Ed Olson, Gary Utt, Tim Wert
- Prosecutor: James J. Mayer, Jr.
- Sheriff: J. Steve Sheldon
- Auditor: Patrick W. Dropsey
- Treasurer: Bart Hamilton
- Recorder: Sarah Davis
- Clerk of Courts: Linda H. Frary
- Engineer: Tom Beck
- Judges of the Court of Common Pleas: James DeWeese and James D. Henson; Robert L. Konstam (domestic):
- "Ohio County Profiles: Richland County" (PDF). Ohio Department of Development. Retrieved 2007-04-28.
- "Richland County QuickFacts". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2012-02-16.
- "Richland County data". Ohio State University Extension Data Center. Retrieved 2007-04-28.[dead link]
- "Find a County". National Association of Counties. Retrieved 2011-06-07.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "U.S. Decennial Census". Census.gov. Retrieved November 7, 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- A.J. Baughman, A Centennial Biographical History of Richland County, Ohio. Chicago: Lewis Publishing Co., 1901.
- Abraham J. Baughman, History of Richland County, Ohio from 1808 to 1908: Also Biographical Sketches of Prominent Citizens of the County. In Two Volumes. Chicago: S.J. Clarke Publishing Co., 1908. [ Volume 1] | Volume 2
- A.A. Graham, History of Richland County, Ohio (Including the Original Boundaries), Its Past and Present: Containing a Condensed Comprehensive History of Ohio, Including an Outline History of the Northwest; A Complete History of Richland County Including Its Townships, Cities, Towns and Villages, Schools, Churches, Societies, Industries, etc.; A History of Its Soldiers in the Late War; Portraits of Its Early Settlers and Prominent Men... Mansfield, Ohio: A.A. Graham Publishing Co., 1880.
- Biographical History of Richland County, Ohio, 1983. Lexington, OH: Richland County Genealogical Society, 1983.
- County website
- Richland County in the Civil War
- History of Richland County Book online
- Richland County, Ohio USGenWeb Site, Plat Book, 1873 - Weller Twp. Source: Atlas Map of Richland County, Ohio. Compiled, Drawn & Published from Personal Graminations & Surveys by A.T. Andreas. Chicago, Ill., 1873, p. 36-37.
|Crawford County||Ashland County|
|Morrow County||Knox County|