Richland Township, Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
Map of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania highlighting Richland Township
Map of Allegheny County, Pennsylvania
|• Chariman||Herbert C. Dankmyer|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|Area code(s)||412, 724|
According to the United States Census Bureau, the township has a total area of 14.6 square miles (37.7 km²), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 9,231 people, 3,353 households, and 2,491 families residing in the township. The population density was 634.3 people per square mile (245.0/km²). There were 3,508 housing units at an average density of 241.0 per square mile (93.1/km²). The racial makeup of the township was 98.31% White, 0.47% African American, 0.08% Native American, 0.57% Asian, 0.14% from other races, and 0.43% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 0.65% of the population.
There were 3,353 households out of which 38.0% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 65.0% were married couples living together, 7.2% had a female householder with no husband present, and 25.7% were non-families. 23.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 11.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.67 and the average family size was 3.18.
In the township the population was spread out with 27.8% under the age of 18, 4.6% from 18 to 24, 28.5% from 25 to 44, 23.7% from 45 to 64, and 15.5% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 40 years. For every 100 females there were 92.3 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 86.9 males.
The median income for a household in the township was $57,672, and the median income for a family was $67,471. Males had a median income of $50,699 versus $33,304 for females. The per capita income for the township was $25,085. About 4.0% of families and 5.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 5.9% of those under age 18 and 5.4% of those age 65 or over.
Government and politics
Richland Township is a 2nd Class Township and governs with a Home Rule Charter. The Board of Supervisors is the governing body in the Township. Five Supervisors are elected by the qualified voters of the Township. Four supervisors are elected from each district and one supervisor is elected from the Township at large. The terms of all Supervisors are four years, commencing at 8:00 p.m. on the first Monday of January following the year in which they are elected, except that a Supervisor appointed to fill a vacancy shall serve only for the balance of the unexpired term.
Current Board of Supervisors Members
- Herbert C. Dankmyer, Chairman
- Raymond Kendrick, Vice Chairman
- George P. Allen
- John Pasquinelli
- Brian O'Malley
Notable natives and residents
- Jackie Evancho – classical crossover singer; America's Got Talent (season 5) runner-up and recording artist, including Dream With Me (2011).
- "Population of Civil Divisions Less than Counties". 1870 United States Census. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 25 November 2013.
- "Population of Civil Divisions Less than Counties". 1880 United States Census. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 24 November 2013.
- "Population-Pennsylvania". U.S. Census 1910. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Number and Distribution of Inhabitants:Pennsylvania-Tennessee". Fifteenth Census. U.S. Census Bureau.
- "Number of Inhabitants: Pennsylvania". 18th Census of the United States. U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "Pennsylvania: Population and Housing Unit Counts". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 22 November 2013.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Incorporated Places and Minor Civil Divisions Datasets: Subcounty Population Estimates: April 1, 2010 to July 1, 2012". U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved 25 November 2013.