Richland Township, Belmont County, Ohio
|Richland Township, Ohio|
Municipalities and townships of Belmont County
|• Total||58.8 sq mi (152.2 km2)|
|• Land||58.3 sq mi (151.0 km2)|
|• Water||0.5 sq mi (1.2 km2)|
|Elevation||1,188 ft (362 m)|
|• Density||257/sq mi (99.2/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1085783|
Richland Township is one of the sixteen townships of Belmont County, Ohio, United States. The 2010 census found 14,973 people in the township, 9,789 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Wheeling Township - north
- Colerain Township - northeast
- Pease Township - east, north of Pultney Township
- Pultney Township - east, south of Pease Township
- Mead Township - southeast
- Smith Township - south
- Goshen Township - southwest
- Union Township - west
Name and history
Richland Township was established in 1802. The name Richland is descriptive and refers to the fertility of their soil as well as the wealth of coal and limestone within the township's borders.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Geographic Identifiers: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (G001): Richland township, Belmont County, Ohio". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved February 18, 2014.
- McKelvey, A. T. (1903). Centennial History of Belmont County, Ohio, and Representative Citizens. Biographical Publishing Company. p. 238.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.