Richland Township, Darke County, Ohio
|Richland Township, Ohio|
Location in Darke County and the state of Ohio.
|• Total||21.2 sq mi (54.9 km2)|
|• Land||21.2 sq mi (54.9 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||978 ft (298 m)|
|• Density||40.7/sq mi (15.7/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086022|
Located in the central part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- York Township - north
- Wayne Township - northeast
- Adams Township - southeast
- Greenville Township - southwest
- Brown Township - northwest
No municipalities are located in Richland Township, although several unincorporated communities lie there:
- Beamsville, in the center, near the Stillwater River
- Dawn, in the north, which was originally known as Nevada
- Stelvideo, in the south adjacent to the border with Adams Township.
Name and history
Richland Township was established in 1820.
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees. The current trustees are Daniel Hart, Michael Oliver, and Bob Wagner, and the clerk is Sandra Marker.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Darke County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- 1875 Book of Plats of Darke County, Ohio.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- The History of Darke County, Ohio. W. H. Beers & Company. 1880. p. 409.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- Township Trustees. Darke County. Accessed 2007-06-01.