Richland Township, Defiance County, Ohio
|Richland Township, Defiance County, Ohio|
|• Total||35.7 sq mi (92.6 km2)|
|• Land||34.9 sq mi (90.5 km2)|
|• Water||0.8 sq mi (2.1 km2)|
|Elevation||725 ft (221 m)|
|• Density||84.2/sq mi (32.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Eastern (EST) (UTC-5)|
|• Summer (DST)||EDT (UTC-4)|
|GNIS feature ID||1086038|
Richland Township is one of the twelve townships of Defiance County, Ohio, United States. The 2000 census found 2,941 people in the township, 967 of whom lived in the city of Defiance, and 1,974 of whom lived in the unincorporated portions of the township.
Located in the eastern part of the county, it borders the following townships:
- Adams Township - north
- Napoleon Township, Henry County - northeast corner
- Flatrock Township, Henry County - east
- Pleasant Township, Henry County - southeast corner
- Highland Township - south
- Defiance Township - southwest
- Noble Township - west
- Tiffin Township - northwest
Name and history
The township is governed by a three-member board of trustees, who are elected in November of odd-numbered years to a four-year term beginning on the following January 1. Two are elected in the year after the presidential election and one is elected in the year before it. There is also an elected township fiscal officer, who serves a four-year term beginning on April 1 of the year after the election, which is held in November of the year before the presidential election. Vacancies in the fiscal officership or on the board of trustees are filled by the remaining trustees.
- State Route 18, which travels from southeast to west through the southern half of the township
- State Route 281, which travels from east to west through the center of the township, and is concurrent with State Route 18 for a short time
- State Route 424, which travels along the north bank of the Maumee River through the center of the township
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Defiance County, Ohio — Population by Places Estimates Ohio State University, 2007. Accessed 15 May 2007.
- "Detailed map of Ohio" (PDF). United States Census Bureau. 2000. Retrieved 2007-02-16.
- §503.24, §505.01, and §507.01 of the Ohio Revised Code. Accessed 4/30/2009.
- DeLorme. Ohio Atlas & Gazetteer. 7th ed. Yarmouth: DeLorme, 2004, p. 35. ISBN 0-89933-281-1.