Richland Township, Madison County, Indiana
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013)|
Location in Madison County
|• Type||Indiana township|
|• Trustee||Richard (Dick) Cleaver|
|• Fire Chief||Bryan L Frank|
|• Indiana State Representative||Jack Lutz (R)|
|• Indiana State Senator||Douglas Eckerty (R)|
|• Total||27.91 sq mi (72.3 km2)|
|• Land||27.7 sq mi (72 km2)|
|• Water||0.2 sq mi (0.5 km2) 0.72%|
|Elevation||889 ft (271 m)|
|• Density||172.4/sq mi (66.6/km2)|
|ZIP codes||46001, 46012|
|GNIS feature ID||0453796|
According to the 2010 census, the township has a total area of 27.91 square miles (72.3 km2), of which 27.7 square miles (72 km2) (or 99.25%) is land and 0.2 square miles (0.52 km2) (or 0.72%) is water.
Cities, towns, villages
- Anderson (northeast edge)
- Moonville at
Richland was organized in 1834. It was named from their productive farmland.
Volunteer Fire Department
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (December 2013)|
The Richland Township Volunteer Fire Department is located on County Road 500 N, just East of Alexandria Pike on the west-central side of the township. The fire department provides fire suppression, rescue, and basic life support services to all of Richland Township and mutual aid services to surrounding areas. The fire department is staffed by approximately 35 volunteer members who are trained in fire suppression, emergency medical services, and rescue. The fire department has seven pieces of apparatus: one fire engine (Engine 48), two 3,000-gallon tankers (Engine/Tanker 40 & Tanker 44), one Medium Rescue (Rescue 49), one Grass truck (Grass 47) and two transporting BLS ambulances (Ambulances 45 and 46). Richland is also the home of the Madison County Hazardous Materials Decontamination Team (Decon 40), which has a fully equipped decon trailer, including a mass decontamination tent. The fire department responds to approximately 400-450 calls for service per year.
The Richland Township Fire Department was established in 1970.
The fire department is dispatched on "Madison County Fire Control" out of the Madison County Sheriff's Department Dispatch located in Anderson. The department is addressed on the radio as "Station 40".
The Richland Township Volunteer has had one line-of-duty death, in the 1980s; Donald Lindzy.
The township contains these six cemeteries: Funk, Heagy, Holson, Moonville, Nelson and Wesley Chapel.
Waterways and bodies of water
- Killbuck Creek
Running SW through the township, enters Richland Township near County Road 500 E and County Road 700 N and exits the township near County Road 240 North and Scatterfield Road, just before emptying into the White River.
- Little Killbuck Creek
Running SSW through the township, enters Richland Township near County Road 800 N and County Road 200 E and empties into the Killbuck Creek near County Road 240 N and Scatterfield Road.
- Prosperity Lake
Located just north of County Road 500 N and just east of Alexandria Pike; situated along Little Killbuck Creek.
- Several private ponds
- Anderson Community School Corporation
- Killbuck Golf Course
- Indiana's 6th congressional district
- State House District 35
- State House District 36
- State Senate District 25
- Helm, Thomas B. History of Madison County, Indiana, with ... Biographical Sketches ... Chicago: Kingman, 1880. Print.
- Madison County Cemeteries Commission
- "Richland Township, Madison County, Indiana". Geographic Names Information System, U.S. Geological Survey. Retrieved 2009-10-08.
- United States Census Bureau 2008 TIGER/Line Shapefiles
- "Population, Housing Units, Area, and Density: 2010 - County -- County Subdivision and Place -- 2010 Census Summary File 1". United States Census. Retrieved 2013-05-10.
- Forkner, John La Rue and Dyson, Byron H. (1897). Historical Sketches and Reminiscences of Madison County, Indiana. Wilson, Humprheys & Co. p. 927.
- Madison County Cemeteries Commission
- Indiana Fire Trucks-Richland Township
- Indiana Township Association
- United Township Association of Indiana
- City-Data.com page for Richland Township
||Monroe Township||Harrison Township, Delaware County|
|Lafayette Township||Mount Pleasant Township, Delaware County|
|Anderson Township||Union Township||Salem Township, Delaware County|