Richmond, South Australia
Adelaide, South Australia
House on Marion Road in Richmond
|Population||2,687 (2006 Census)|
|Location||3 km (2 mi) west of Adelaide|
|LGA(s)||City of West Torrens|
|This section does not cite any references or sources. (December 2010)|
Settlement of the area dates from the late 1830s with land used mainly for farming. Residential and industrial growth took place from the late 19th century into the early 20th century. Expansion continued in the interwar period. The most significant development occurred during the post-war years. The population increased marginally between 2001 and 2006, a result of new dwellings being added to the area.
It was named after the first farm that was established in the area in 1839, owned by Charles Gooch. A subdivision on 1842 of the surrounding area was called "The Village of Richmond".
The age distribution of Richmond residents is skewed towards an older population than the greater Australian population. 72.9% of residents were over 25 years in 2006, compared to the Australian average of 66.5%; and 27.1% were younger than 25 years, compared to the Australian average of 33.5%.
In 2008, Richmond was listed as Adelaide's most livable suburb.[verification needed]
Shopping and dining
Although much of the suburb is residential, there are small commercial and industrial areas along Richmond Road and South Road.
There is also a cycling and walking track along Deacon Avenue.
The suburb is serviced by the following main roads:
- South Road, running north-south from the far north of Adelaide to the far south.
- Marion Road, running north-south between Torrensville and Sturt
- Sir Donald Bradman Drive, running east-west between the City of Adelaide and West Beach.
Richmond is serviced by public transport run by the Adelaide Metro.
There is no train stop in Richmond itself. However, the following train services run nearby.
- Belair railway line. The closest station is Keswick.
- Noarlunga and Tonsley railway lines. The closest station is Keswick.
Among others, the suburb is serviced by the following bus routes:
- 100, 101
- 167, 168
- City of West Torrens
- Local Government Association of SA - City of West Torrens
- 2006 ABS Census Data by Location