Richmond Hill, London
Richmond Hill in Richmond, London is a hill that rises gently on its northern side from the ancient Thames meadowlands around the site of Richmond Palace up to and slightly beyond the Richmond Gate entrance to Richmond Park, the former royal hunting grounds enclosed by Charles I. The descent southwestwards from this point back down to the upstream meadows is noticeably steeper, although the down gradient is less marked on its southerly and easterly progress through the park itself.
This renowned hill offers the only view in England to be protected by an Act of Parliament – the Richmond, Ham and Petersham Open Spaces Act passed in 1902 – to protect the land on and below Richmond Hill and thus preserve the fine foreground views to the west and south. Immortalised in paintings by Sir Joshua Reynolds and J.M.W. Turner, it was described by Sir Walter Scott as "an unrivalled landscape".
The scenic panorama may be viewed from Terrace Walk, laid out near the top of the hill in the 18th century. This promenade surmounts the Terrace Gardens and both are Grade II* listed in the English Heritage Register of Parks and Gardens of Special Historic Interest in England .
As the town of Richmond developed from its founding in the early 16th century, after Henry VII had established Richmond Palace, the attributes of the hill naturally attracted desirable residential and commercial development – with the result that many substantial properties came and went on the hill over the centuries, some of them with famous or notable persons as owners or occupiers. That situation is still in vogue today.
- Warde-Aldam, Digby (15 September 2013). "Revolutionary Richmond?". Apollo (magazine). Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- "Turner & Constable & their Contemporaries: Sketching from Nature". Forthcoming events and exhibitions at the Laing. Laing Art Gallery. 2014. Retrieved 4 December 2014.
- Orr, Stephen. "Clarence House". The Vineyard, Richmond. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- Orr, Stephen. "Halford House". The Vineyard, Richmond. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- Orr, Stephen. "Michel's Almshouses". The Vineyard, Richmond. Retrieved 7 May 2013.
- Turner at The Tate
- Iconic view
- BBC webpage – View from Richmond Hill
- Arcadia Project
- BBC webpage – panoramic view
- BBC webpage – photos of Richmond Hill
- Visit Richmond webpage – Star & Garter on Richmond Hill
- Richmond Council webpage – The Terrace Gardens
- Heritage walks
- Clarence House