Richmond upon Thames College
|This article needs additional citations for verification. (April 2011)|
|Location||Twickenham, Middlesex, England|
Richmond upon Thames College (formerly Twickenham College of Technology) is a further education college in the London Borough of Richmond upon Thames, which provides education primarily to 16-19 year olds. The courses available include, AS and A2 Levels, International Baccalaureate and BTEC National Diploma.
The college now has around 7,000 enrolments, with 4,000 of these full-time students. The college has its own sports hall and parking for both staff and students. There are various food outlets located within the college including Glades and Redwoods cafe.The college has its own security team who check students ID at the gates and patrol the college. Although the college offers many facilities, some buildings are dated and in some disrepair. The college offers almost 600 courses of different levels. Partly due to its large student size, Richmond upon Thames College sends more students to university each year than any other institution in Europe. Richmond upon Thames College has been the centre of media attention for the massive cuts and redundancies due to a lack of funding. Principal David Ansell's salary is £150,000 a year; this along with the combined cuts to the budget has caused controversy. Until 2009, The Swedish School in London leased facilities at Richmond upon Thames College.
- Library and Resources Centre (55,000 books supporting all subject areas; over 150 magazines and main daily newspapers; e-resources available both on campus and off with an Athens password; 200 study spaces; 65 internet PCs)
- Open Access (60 internet enabled PCs)
- Video Library (one of the largest off air video collections in the UK; over 55,000 videos)
- Catering Facilities (Main Student Refectory; Redwoods Coffee Shop; Glades; Shop; Vending Machines)
- Sports Facilities (Multi-Gym, Extensive Sports Fields, Sports Hall)
The college is situated in Twickenham, Greater London less than a kilometre from the English national rugby stadium. The nearest rail link is Twickenham Station and the nearest underground connections are Richmond and Hounslow Central. It is also served by local bus routes notably the 281 between Tolworth and Twickenham and the 267 between Fulwell and Hammersmith.
The college has an expansive scheme of enrichment activities for its 16 - 19 year old division. This includes the college newspaper ''COLLY GAZETTE/NOISE'', a film production club and a philosophy society. Other enrichment activities include a range of activities from politics, graphics and design, cooking and podcasting.
- Jazzie Zonzolo
- Susannah Doyle, actress and scriptwriter
- Ben Scott
- Andrew Gilligan
- Joe Anderson
- Ruby Bentall
- Nathan Ellington
- Caroline Flint
- Benjamin Cook
- Jamie T
- Rebecca Romero
- Su-Elise Nash
- Crispian Mills, member of band Kula Shaker
- Alonza Bevan, member of band Kula Shaker
- Delon Armitage, international rugby player
- Anabel Barnston, actress (known for Chloe in Coming of Age)
- Jason Flemyng, actor
- Edd Gould, animator (known for Eddsworld)