Richton Park, Illinois
|Richton Park, Illinois|
|Motto: "Proud Past; Bright Future"|
|Area||3.99 sq mi (10 km2)|
|- land||3.98 sq mi (10 km2)|
|- water||0.01 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Density||3,428.6 / sq mi (1,324 / km2)|
|- summer (DST)||CDT (UTC-5)|
|Wikimedia Commons: Richton Park, Illinois|
Richton Park is located at (41.481992, -87.725352).
According to the 2010 census, the village has a total area of 3.99 square miles (10.3 km2), of which 3.98 square miles (10.3 km2) (or 99.75%) is land and 0.01 square miles (0.026 km2) (or 0.25%) is water. It is bordered by Matteson to the north, Park Forest to the east, and University Park to the south. Frankfort is the closest neighbor to the west.
2008 tornado 
On Saturday June 7, 2008, a tornado ripped through Richton Park. The tornado tore apart the Richton Square Apartments, damaging 40 units and leaving at least 80 residents homeless. The tornado went through the town around 5:00 P.M. that day. It was rated as an EF2 tornado and was also responsible for knocking down two transmission towers on Interstate 57 near Monee.
As of the census of 2000, there were 12,533 people, 4,578 households, and 3,200 families residing in the village. The population density was 3,714.7 people per square mile (1,435.9/km²). There were 4,730 housing units at an average density of 1,401.9 per square mile (541.9/km²). The racial makeup of the village was 14.7% White, 76.0% African American, 0.24% Native American, 1.8% Asian, 0.04% Pacific Islander, 3.3% from other races, and 0.9% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 4.8% of the population.
There were 4,578 households out of which 39.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 47.5% were married couples living together, 18.5% had a female householder with no husband present, and 30.1% were non-families. 26.1% of all households were made up of individuals and 7.1% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 2.68 and the average family size was 3.25.
In the village the population was spread out with 28.8% under the age of 18, 8.8% from 18 to 24, 32.7% from 25 to 44, 22.1% from 45 to 64, and 7.6% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 33 years. For every 100 females there were 84.7 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 78.2 males.
The median income for a household in the village was $48,299, and the median income for a family was $58,661. Males had a median income of $44,637 versus $35,231 for females. The per capita income for the village was $22,626. About 4.2% of families and 7.0% of the population were below the poverty line, including 7.2% of those under age 18 and 14.4% of those age 65 or over.
Elementary School District 159 serves portions of Richton Park.
- Neil A. Armstrong School 
- Colin Powell Middle School 
- Woodgate Elementary School 
- Sieden Prairie Elementary School 
- Marya Yates Elementary School 
Southlan College Prep High School
Richton Park is in Illinois' 2nd congressional district.
See also 
- "Profile of General Population and Housing Characteristics: 2010 Demographic Profile Data (DP-1): Richton Park village, Illinois". U.S. Census Bureau, American Factfinder. Retrieved March 19, 2013.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "2010 Census U.S. Gazetteer Files for Places – Illinois". United States Census. Retrieved 2012-10-13.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "Home page. Matteson School District 162. Retrieved on December 8, 2012. "4601 Sauk Trail, Richton Park, IL 60471"