|Richard Maxwell Burr|
Renmark, South Australia
|Years of service||1981 – present|
|Unit||United States Army Pacific|
|Commands held||Deputy Commanding General – Operations
Director General Military Strategic Commitments
Special Air Service Regiment
|Awards||Distinguished Service Cross
Member of the Order of Australia
Member of the Royal Victorian Order
Bronze Star (United States)
Major General Richard (Rick) Maxwell Burr, DSC AM MVO, born in 1964 is a senior officer in the Australian Army and is currently serving as the Deputy Commanding General – Operations, United States Army Pacific.
Burr joined the Australian Army at the age of 17 as an officer cadet and attended the Royal Military College, Duntroon. After graduation from Duntroon, Burr served as a platoon commander in the 8th/9th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment.
On 21 August 2012, United States Army Secretary John M. McHugh announced that Burr would be seconded to the United States Army, to become Deputy Commander, United States Army Pacific (USARPAC). Burr will supervise training and USARPAC liaison with countries in Southeast Asia and Australasia. He will report to Lt. Gen. Frank Wiercinski.
On 31 October 2012 he stood down as the Commander 1st Division and assumed the post as Deputy Commanding General – Operations of the United States Army Pacific on 17 January 2013 Burr is the first non-American to serve in this position.
Honours and Awards
|Distinguished Service Cross (DSC)|||
|Member of the Order of Australia (AM)||Awarded 13 June 2011|
|Member of the Royal Victorian Order (MVO)||Awarded 1 April 2000|
|Australian Active Service Medal|
|Australian Service Medal|
|Defence Force Service Medal with 3 clasps||30–34 years service|
|Australian Defence Medal|
|Bronze Star (United States)|||
|NATO Medal for ISAF|
|Meritorious Unit Citation with Federation Star|
- Audrey MacAvoy (1 February 2013). "Australian general gets key post at USARPAC". Army Times. Associated Pres. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Associated Press/Washington Post, 2012, "Two-star Australian general to oversee American soldiers at US Army Pacific" (21 August) Access: 21 August 2012.
- Inaugural Joint Warfare Conference - Inaugural Joint Warfare Conference 2011
- Australian Army Website, 2013, "US Army Pacific welcomes MAJGEN Burr" (17 January) Access: 29 January 2013.
- Riverland Weekly - Distinguished Service Cross
- It's an Honour - Member of the Order of Australia
- It's an Honour - Member of the Royal Victorian Order
- Riverland Weekly - Bronze Star
|Deputy Commanding General – Operations
17 January 2013 – Present
Major General Michael Slater
|Commander, 1st Division
2011 – 31 October 2012
Major General Stuart Smith
|Commander, Special Air Service Regiment