|Richard Maxwell Burr|
Major General Rick Burr c.2013
2 June 1964 |
Renmark, South Australia
|Years of service||1982 – present|
|Commands held||Deputy Commanding General – Operations (2013–)
1st Division (2011–12)
Military Strategic Commitments (2009–10)
Special Air Service Regiment (2003–04)
War in Afghanistan
|Awards||Distinguished Service Cross
Member of the Order of Australia
Member of the Royal Victorian Order
Legion of Merit (United States)
Bronze Star (United States)
Major General Richard Maxwell "Rick" Burr DSC, AM, MVO (born 2 June 1964) is a senior officer in the Australian Army, currently serving as the Deputy Commanding General – Operations, United States Army Pacific.
Burr was born in Renmark, South Australia, on 2 June 1964 to Maxwell Henry Burr and Lorelie Ann Morrell. Educated at Renmark High School, Burr entered the Royal Military College, Duntroon as an officer cadet in 1982.
Burr graduated from Duntroon in 1985 with a University of New South Wales accredited Bachelor of Arts, and was commissioned into the Royal Australian Infantry Corps. His first posting came as a platoon commander in the 8th/9th Battalion, Royal Australian Regiment.
On 21 August 2012, United States Army Secretary John M. McHugh announced that Burr would be seconded to the United States Army, to become Deputy Commander, United States Army Pacific (USARPAC). Burr will supervise training and USARPAC liaison with countries in Southeast Asia and Australasia. He will report to Lieutenant General Frank Wiercinski.
Honours and awards
|This section needs additional citations for verification. (July 2014)|
|Distinguished Service Cross (DSC)|||
|Member of the Order of Australia (AM)||Awarded 13 June 2011|
|Member of the Royal Victorian Order (MVO)||Awarded 1 April 2000|
|Australian Active Service Medal|
|Australian Service Medal|
|Defence Force Service Medal with 3 clasps||30–34 years service|
|Australian Defence Medal|
|Bronze Star (United States)|||
|NATO Medal for ISAF|
|Meritorious Unit Citation with Federation Star|
- "Major General Richard Maxwell (Rick) Burr". Who's Who in Australia Online. ConnectWeb. Retrieved 29 July 2014.
- "Commander 1st Division: Major General Richard M. Burr". Army Leaders. Australian Army. Archived from the original on 27 October 2012. Retrieved 8 August 2011.
- Audrey MacAvoy (1 February 2013). "Australian general gets key post at USARPAC". Army Times. Associated Pres. Retrieved 6 February 2013.
- Associated Press/Washington Post, 2012, "Two-star Australian general to oversee American soldiers at US Army Pacific" (21 August) Access: 21 August 2012.
- Inaugural Joint Warfare Conference – Inaugural Joint Warfare Conference 2011
- Australian Army Website, 2013, "US Army Pacific welcomes MAJGEN Burr" (17 January) Access: 29 January 2013.
- Riverland Weekly – Distinguished Service Cross
- It's an Honour – Member of the Order of Australia
- It's an Honour – Member of the Royal Victorian Order
- "London Gazette". The Gazette. 5 May 2000. Retrieved 1 January 2014.
- Perry, Brad (5 November 2009). "Decorated soldier believes there is no place like home". Riverland Weekly. Archived from the original on 5 March 2011.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rick Burr.|
|Deputy Commanding General – Operations
2013 – present
Major General Michael Slater
|Commander 1st Division
Major General Stuart Smith