Rick Fisher is an American lighting designer, known for his work with Stephen Daldry on Billy Elliot the Musical and An Inspector Calls. He is from Philadelphia, Pennsylvania and attended Dickinson College, but has been based in the UK for the last 30 years.
He has done the lighting design for many opera companies, including Covent Garden and New York City Opera. He has been designing for the Santa Fe Opera for seven seasons; for the 2007 season he did three productions.
Fisher received the Live Design Outstanding Designer of The Year in 2008. He is the chairman of the British Association of Lighting Designers.
Selected stage credits
- 2009 Tony Award for Best Lighting Design and Drama Desk Award for Outstanding Lighting Design for Billy Elliot the Musical (Broadway)
- 2008 Theatre Lighting Designer of the Year, LDI
- 2008 Helpmann Award for Best Lighting Design, Sydney Australia for Billy Elliot the Musical (Australia)
- 2005 Bronze Medal for Lighting Design: World Stage Design Expo, Toronto
- 2003 Gold Triga Prague Quadrennial: Member of British entry
- 2003 Garland Award: Cinderella, Ahmanson Theatre, Los Angeles
- 1998 Laurence Olivier Award for Lady in the Dark, Chips with Everything (Royal National Theatre)
- 1996 Ovation and Los Angeles Drama Critics Award: An Inspector Calls, Los Angeles
- 1995 Gold Medal Prague Quadrennial: Member of British Entry
- 1994 Tony Award and Drama Desk Awards for An Inspector Calls (Broadway)
- 1994 Laurence Olivier Award for Hysteria, Machinal, and Moonlight
- ^ a b c "LDI Speaker Spotlight: Rick Fisher", livedesignonline.com, October 8, 2008
- ^ Lampert-Gréaux, Ellen. "With Rick Fisher and Duane Schuler at The Santa Fe Opera", livedesignonline.com, August 1, 2007
- ^ Biography leefiltersusa.com, accessed May 15, 2009
- ^ "World Stage Design Exceeds Expectations" usitt.org, accessed May 15, 2009
- ^ Article on 2003 Quadrennial www.etnow.com, accessed May 15, 2009
- ^ Olivier Awards, 1998 officiallondontheatre.co.uk, accessed May 15, 2009
- ^ Olivier Awards, 1994 officiallondontheatre.co.uk, accessed May 15, 2009