|Richard Deane Love II|
October 9, 1952 |
Fresno, California, United States
|Alma mater||Westmont College
Westminster Theological Seminary
Fuller Theological Seminary
|Occupation||Peacemaker, consultant, pastor|
|Spouse(s)||Fran Lewis Love|
Dr. Rick Love (born October 9, 1952) is an American peacemaker. He is also a consultant on Christian–Muslim relations, a teacher, and a Christian pastor. He is the president of Peace Catalyst International. Love has written two books and numerous articles on Christian–Muslim relations, emphasizing the need to make peace in a world where others predict a clash of civilizations.
Love currently lives in Arvada, Colorado with his wife Fran Lewis Love.
Love's early years were in Southern California. After embracing the "Sex & Drugs & Rock & Roll" lifestyle during the 1960s, in 1970 he underwent a dramatic change and became part of what is now known as the “Jesus movement.”
After a few years as an associate pastor with the Association of Vineyard Churches, Love and his family lived in West Java, Indonesia from 1984 to 1992, where he worked as an English teacher and conducted doctoral research.
From 1992 to 2007, he served as first the US Director and then the International Director of Frontiers, a faith-based global community. Their purpose: “With love and respect, inviting all Muslim peoples to follow Jesus.”
Transformation into a peacemaker
Following the terrorist attacks of 9/11, Love transitioned into a professional role as a peacemaker between Muslims and Christians. In 2008, he conducted postdoctoral research in peacemaking in the Reconciliation Program at the Yale University Center for Faith and Culture. During those studies, he helped to host the “Common Word” conference, a dialogue between Muslim and Christian leaders. This conference provided a response to A Common Word Between Us and You, an open letter, dated 13 October 2007, from leaders of the Muslim faith to leaders of the Christian faith. Love returned to Yale as a consultant and participant in the “Building Hope” conference between influential, mid-career Muslim, Christian and Jewish religious leaders in 2011. This conference drew together mid-career leaders from the Muslim, Christian, and Jewish faith communities, and addressed issues on which there was clear common ground and issues that have historically brought great division between the faiths.
In September 2012, Love convened Evangelicals for Peace: A Summit on Christian Moral Responsibility in the 21st Century. The summit gathered over one hundred scholars, pastors, development workers, activists, and others at Georgetown University to discuss peace, war, and how to work for peace as followers of Jesus.  Sojourners described the summit in their article "A Heart for Peace."
Love has contributed to several interfaith dialogs including:
- Eastern Mennonite University in Harrisonburg, Virginia
- Doha Conference on Inter-Faith Dialogue in Doha, Qatar
- Global Leadership Forum on "Evangelicals and Muslims: Perspectives on Mission and Partnership" (sponsored jointly by the Institute for Global Engagement and the Prince Alwaleed Center for Muslim–Christian Understanding at Georgetown University)
- Lubar Institute for the Study of Abrahamic Religions University of Wisconsin–Madison
- Philippine Center for Islam and Democracy Mindinao
He has begun to be sought as a voice in Muslim–Christian interfaith understanding. As such, he was interviewed on the Turkish television station A9 where he sought to find points of agreement between Muslims and Christians, including creation care, the relationship between media and violence, and the ethics of da'wa and evangelism in the context of religious freedom.
Love serves as the Associate Director for the World Evangelical Alliance Peace and Reconciliation Initiative, as well as on the advisory board for The New Evangelical Partnership for the Common Good. He is also a consultant with Association of Vineyard Churches USA for Christian–Muslim Relations.
Books and articles
Grace and Truth: Toward Christlike Relations with Muslims, 2010. Available from Vineyard Resources.
“Peace” Article for Insight, National Association of Evangelicals newsletter
"The Blond-Haired, Blue-Eyed, 'Christian' Face of Terrorism" on website for Carl Medearis.
"Have Muslim–Christian Relations Improved Since 9/11?" on website for Christianity Today.
"It's a Miracle!" on the website for the World Evangelical Alliance Peace & Reconciliation Initiative.
"Muslims, Human Rights, and Human Wrongs" on the website for The New Evangelical Partnership for the Common Good.
- Peace Catalyst InternationalPeace Catalyst International, n.d.. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.peace-catalyst.net/about/staff
- Love, Rick. "Bio." Rick Love. Rick Love, 2013. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://ricklove.net/?page_id=4
- "Rick Love: Following Jesus in a Glocalized World." Society of Vineyard Scholars Society of Vineyard Scholars, 16 April 2012. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.vineyardscholars.com/rick-love-following-jesus-in-a-glocalized-world/
- Frontiers. Frontiers, 2012. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.frontiers.org
- "Peace Catalyst International". Peace-catalyst.net. 2012-09-14. Retrieved 2013-10-17.
- "Yale Center for Faith and Culture Reconciliation Program." Yale Center for Faith and Culture. YCFC, 2009. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.yale.edu/faith/rp/rp.htm
- De Wolf, Alyssa. "Building Hope Conference." Notes From the Quad. Yale Divinity School, 5 July 2011. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.yale.edu/divinity/notes/110705/hope.shtml
- "Building Hope: Muslims, Christians, and Jews Seeking the Common Good." Yale Center for Faith and Culture Reconciliation Program. YCFC, 13-23 June 2011. Web. 18 Jan. 2013http://www.yale.edu/faith/rp/rp_hope.htm#top
- Love, Rick. "A Report on Evangelicals for Peace." Peace Catalyst International. PCI, 2 Oct. 2012. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://peace-catalyst.net/blog/post/a-report-on-evangelicals-for-peace:-what-happened-and-where-are-we-headed
- http://Sensenig, Peter M. "Evangelicals for Peace: Jesus at the Center of Peacemaking." Just Peacemaking Initiative. Fuller Theological Seminary, 16 Sept. 2012. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. justpeacemaking.org/evangelicals-for-peace-jesus-at-the-center-of-peacemaking/
- Borger, yron. "Just War, Pacifism, and Evangelicals for Peace." Hearts and Minds. Hearts and Minds Books, 17 Sept. 2012. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.heartsandmindsbooks.com/booknotes/just_war_pacifism_and_evangeli/
- Johnston, David. "Evangelicals for Peace: an Oxymoron?" Human Trustees. Human Trustees, 19 Sept. 2012. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.humantrustees.org/blogs/religion-and-global-society/item/71-evangelicals-for-peace
- Metzger, Greg. "David Shenk: Mennonite Friend of Jesus and Muslims." Faith and the Common Good. n.p., 16 Sept. 2012. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://debatingobama.blogspot.com/2012/09/david-shenk-mennonite-friend-of-jesus.html
- "Podcasts." Peace Catalyst International. PCI, 14 Sept. 2012. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://peace-catalyst.net/resources/podcasts#series_1
- Tunnicliffe, Geoff; Love, Rick; Harper, Lisa Sharon; Wigg-Stevenson, Tyler; Roberts Jr., Bob; Crumpton, Jennifer; Gibson, Lisa; Johnston, Douglas M.; Awad, Sami. "A Heart for Peace." Sojourners. Sojourners, Feb. 2013. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://sojo.net/magazine/2013/02/heart-peace
- Lofton, Bonnie Price. "Muslims and Christians from Morocco and U.S. Meet at EMU." EMU News. Eastern Mennonite University, 17 Feb. 2011. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://emu.edu/now/news/2011/02/muslims-and-christians-from-morocco-and-u-s-meet-at-emu/
- "6th Doha Conference of Inter-Faith Dialogue." Qatar Conferences. n.p., 13 May 2008. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.qatar-conferences.org/dialogue2008/english/English.pdf
- "16-17 June Forum Will Focus on Evangelicals and Muslims." Institute for Global Engagement. The Institute for Global Engagement, n.d. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.globalengage.org/pressroom/events/1156-june-16-17-forum-will-focus-on-evangelicals-and-muslims.html
- "Annual Conference 2009-2010." Lubar Institute for the Study of Abrahamic Religions. University of Madison-Wisconsin, n.d. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://lisar.lss.wisc.edu/archive/2009-10/Limits_to_dialogue_arch.html
- Muslim, Christian Peace Advocates to Hold Interfaith Dialogues in the Philippines." The Mindanao Examiner. The Mindanao Examiner, 9 Nov. 2011. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.mindanaoexaminer.com/news.php?news_id=20111108120159
- "Muslim, Christian Advocates to Hold Interfaith Forum." UCAN Philippines. UCAN Philippines, 9 Nov. 2011. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.cathnewsphil.com/2011/11/09/muslim-christian-peace-advocates-to-hold-interfaith-forum/
- Banks, Adelle. "Interfaith Understanding Remains Elusive 10 Years After 9/11." Huff Post Religion. TheHuffingtonPost.com, Inc., 22 Oct. 2011. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/08/22/interfaith-understanding-911_n_933207.html?1314039616&ncid=edlinkusaolp00000008
- "The Optimistic Muslim--Jihad for Jesus!" Web Talk Radio. Web Talk Radio, n.d. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://webtalkradio.net/?s=optimistic+muslim+rick+love&task=search
- Love, Rick; Moeller, Carl; Micheli, Jason. "Have Muslim-Christian Relations Improved Since 9/11?" Christianity Today. Christianity Today, 6 Sept. 2011. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2011/september/muslim-christian-relations.html
- "Building Bridges Gateway Program." A9 TV. 16 Jan. 2013. Web. 23 Jan. 2013. http://en.a9.com.tr/showdetails.php?id=97&v=157053
- "Agenda: 6th Doha Conference of Interfaith Dialogue." Qatar Conferences. Permanent Committee for Organizing Conferences, Doha, 15 May 2008. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.qatar-conferences.org/dialogue2008/english/program.php
- Love, Rick. "The Ethics of Da'wa and Evangelism: Respecting the Other and Freedom of Religion." Rick Love. Rick Love, 18-20 June 2008. Web. 18 Jan 2013. http://www.ricklove.net/wp-content/uploads/2010/04/Ethics-of-Da-wa-and-Evangelism-at-the-World-Bank.pdf
- WEAPRI. World Evangelical Alliance, 2013. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.weapri.org/
- The New Evangelical Partnership for the Common Good. n.p., n.d. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.newevangelicalpartnership.org/
- "Peacemaking: A Study Guide." William Carey Library. William Carey Library, n.d. Web. 16, Jan. 2013. http://www.missionbooks.org/williamcareylibrary/product.php?productid=269&cat=0&page=1
- "Grace and Truth: Toward Christlike Relations with Muslims." Vineyard Resources. Vineyard Resources, n.d. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.vineyardresources.com/equip/content/grace-and-truth-toward-christlike-relationships-muslims
- Love, Rick. "Punishable Peacemaking?" The Washington Post. The Washington Post Company, 10 Dec. 2012. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/guest-voices/post/punishable-peacemaking/2012/12/10/b9b30344-42e3-11e2-9648-a2c323a991d6_blog.html
- Love, Rick. "Peace." Insight. National Association of Evangelicals, Winter 2012/2013. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.nae.net/images/content/Insight_2012_Winter.pdf
- Love, Rick. "The Blond-Haired, Blue-Eyed, 'Christian' Face of Terrorism." Carl Madearis. International Initiatives, 28 July 2011. Web. 18 Jan 2013. http://www.carlmedearis.com/blog/2011/07/the-blond-haired-blue-eyed-christian-face-of-terrorism/
- Love, Rick. "It's a Miracle." WEAPRI. World Evangelical Alliance, n.d. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://www.weapri.org/2011/07/its-a-miracle
- Love, Rick. "Muslims, Human Rights, and Human Wrongs." The New Evangelical Partnership for the Common Good. n.p., 14 December, 2010. Web. 18 Jan. 2013. http://newevangelicalpartnership.org/?q=node/89