August 28, 1984 |
Tacoma, Washington, United States
|Other names||The Horror, The Sherman Tank|
|Height||5 ft 10 in (178 cm)|
|Weight||170 lb (77 kg; 12 st 2 lb)|
|Division||Welterweight (170 lb)|
|Reach||71 in (180 cm)|
|Style||Collegiate Wrestling, KickBoxing, Grinding|
|Fighting out of||Vancouver, Washington|
|Mixed martial arts record|
|University||Southern Oregon University|
|Mixed martial arts record from Sherdog|
Rick Thomas Story (born August 28, 1984) is an American mixed martial artist currently signed to the Ultimate Fighting Championship where he fights as a welterweight. As of February 3, 2014, he is #14 in official UFC welterweight rankings.
Rick was born in Tacoma, Washington at Lakewood General Hospital to his mother, Patricia and his father, Edmund. At the age of three, Rick's parents divorced. Rick grew up in Spanaway, Washington with his grandmother and his older sister, Elizabeth.
Mixed martial arts career
Rick initially caught interest in mixed martial arts when he was a young boy, stating that "[When I was around 12] I saw the first UFC videos and loved it. I was just getting into wrestling at that time and would always try some of the techniques with my friends. It was on the back of my mind until my sophomore year in college wrestling when a friend asked me if I would trade him some takedowns for submission techniques. I agreed and started training at this little hole in the wall and was asked to fight."
When asked about his MMA inspirations, Story stated "I would like to emulate Fedor's aggressive instinct, Anderson Silva's elusive, quick striking, and B.J. Penn's ability to hype a fight. I train to be successful, and to make my team successful, I strive to be better than these fighters I just mentioned, but that is all expected."
Ultimate Fighting Championship
Story had his second UFC fight at UFC 103 after stepping in for Paul Daley against debuting Brian Foster. Story defeated Foster via arm-triangle choke submission at 1:09 of round two and earned Submission of the Night and Fight of the Night honors.
In January 2010, he was resigned to a new four fight deal with the UFC. His first fight with the brand new contract was against Englishman, Nick Osipczak at UFC 112, the UFC's first trip to Abu Dhabi. Story won the fight via controversial split decision.
After his win over Hendricks, Story called out former number one contender, Thiago Alves. Alves accepted the fight, which took place on May 28, 2011 at UFC 130. Story outworked Alves with his grappling and ring control for the majority of the fight. By the 3rd round, Alves began to connect with Story repeatedly but it wasn't enough. Story won via unanimous decision.
Story was expected to face Nate Marquardt at on June 26, 2011 at UFC on Versus 4, replacing an injured Anthony Johnson. Marquardt, however, pulled out of the fight the day of the weigh-ins and Story instead faced Charlie Brenneman. Story lost in a huge upset via unanimous decision.
Story lost to Martin Kampmann via unanimous decision on November 19, 2011 at UFC 139. The fight was originally announced as a split decision, however, UFC president Dana White clarified at the post-fight press conference that all three judges had scored the match in favor of Kampmann.
Story was expected to face Rich Attonito on June 22, 2012 at UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida. However, Attonito was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Papy Abedi. Abedi himself was also forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by promotional newcomer Brock Jardine. Story won the fight via unanimous decision.
Story was expected to face Sean Pierson on March 16, 2013 at UFC 158. However, Pierson was forced out of the bout with an injury and replaced by Quinn Mulhern. Story defeated Mulhern in the first round via TKO after landing a flurry of punches.
Titles and Awards
- Ultimate Fighting Championships
Mixed martial arts record
|Professional record breakdown|
|23 matches||16 wins||7 losses|
|Win||16–7||Brian Ebersole||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 167||November 16, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Loss||15–7||Mike Pyle||Decision (split)||UFC 160||May 25, 2013||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||15–6||Quinn Mulhern||TKO (punches)||UFC 158||March 16, 2013||1||3:05||Montreal, Quebec, Canada|
|Loss||14–6||Demian Maia||Submission (neck crank)||UFC 153||October 13, 2012||1||2:30||Rio de Janeiro, Brazil|
|Win||14–5||Brock Jardine||Decision (unanimous)||UFC on FX: Maynard vs. Guida||June 22, 2012||3||5:00||Atlantic City, New Jersey, United States|
|Loss||13–5||Martin Kampmann||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 139||November 19, 2011||3||5:00||San Jose, California, United States|
|Loss||13–4||Charlie Brenneman||Decision (unanimous)||UFC Live: Kongo vs. Barry||June 26, 2011||3||5:00||Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, United States|
|Win||13–3||Thiago Alves||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 130||May 28, 2011||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||12–3||Johny Hendricks||Decision (unanimous)||The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale||December 4, 2010||3||5:00||Las Vegas, Nevada, United States|
|Win||11–3||Dustin Hazelett||TKO (punches)||UFC 117||August 7, 2010||2||1:15||Oakland, California, United States|
|Win||10–3||Nick Osipczak||Decision (split)||UFC 112||April 10, 2010||3||5:00||Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates|
|Win||9–3||Jesse Lennox||Decision (split)||UFC Fight Night: Maynard vs. Diaz||January 11, 2010||3||5:00||Fairfax, Virginia, United States|
|Win||8–3||Brian Foster||Submission (arm triangle choke)||UFC 103||September 19, 2009||2||1:09||Dallas, Texas, United States||Fight of the Night, Submission of the Night|
|Loss||7–3||John Hathaway||Decision (unanimous)||UFC 99||June 13, 2009||3||5:00||Cologne, Germany|
|Win||7–2||Brandon Melendez||Submission (rear naked choke)||EWC: Vancouver||September 6, 2008||1||2:17||Ridgefield, Washington, United States|
|Win||6–2||Wesley Welch||KO (punch)||Carnage at the Creek 3||August 22, 2008||1||N/A||Shelton, Washington, United States|
|Win||5–2||Jake Ellenberger||Decision (unanimous)||SportFight 23||June 20, 2008||3||5:00||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Win||4–2||Ryan Healy||Decision (unanimous)||EWC: May Massacre||May 10, 2008||5||5:00||Salem, Oregon, United States|
|Win||3–2||James Dodge||Submission (rear naked choke)||EWC: Welterweight War||February 23, 2008||1||3:37||Salem, Oregon, United States|
|Win||2–2||Jake Paul||TKO (punches)||EWC: Capital Invasion||January 12, 2008||2||1:03||Salem, Oregon, United States|
|Loss||1–2||Nathan Coy||Decision (unanimous)||SportFight 21: Seasons Beatings||December 22, 2007||3||5:00||Portland, Oregon, United States|
|Win||1–1||Julio Paulino||Decision (Unanimous)||AFC 41: Thankful Throwdowns||November 15, 2007||3||5:00||Anchorage, Alaska, United States|
|Loss||0–1||Mario Miranda||Decision (unanimous)||Conquest of the Cage||November 6, 2007||3||5:00||Airway Heights, Washington, United States|
- UFC Fighter Rankings
- "Rick Story: "I would like to Fight Karo Parisyan"". FightLockdown. Retrieved 18 October 2009.
- Morgan, John (September 7, 2009). "Welterweight Rick Story agrees to meet Brian Foster at UFC 103 in Dallas". MMAJunkie. Retrieved September 7, 2009.
- "Welterweights Dustin Hazelett and Rick Story agree to meet at UFC 117 in August". mmajunkie.com. 2010-05-26.
- "Rick Story vs Johny Hendricks tapped for The Ultimate Fighter 12 Finale main card". MMAJunkie.com. Retrieved September 11, 2010.
- "Thiago Alves Returns to UFC in May, Expected to Face Rick Story". MMAWeekly.com. Retrieved December 24, 2010.
- "Anthony Johnson out, Rick Story steps in to face Nate Marquardt at UFC on Versus 4". mmajunkie.com. June 2, 2011.
- "Marquardt scratched from UFC on Versus 4; Barry-Kongo now main, Story gets Brenneman". MMAJunkie.com. 2011-06-25.
- "Martin Kampmann vs. Rick Story on tap for UFC 139 in San Jose". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved 2011-08-17.
- "Rick Story vs Rich Attonito added to UFC on FX 4 fight card in Atlantic City". mmamania.com. March 21, 2012.
- "Rick Story Gets New UFC on FX 4 Opponent". mmaweekly.com. May 8, 2012. Retrieved May 8, 2012.
- "Rick Story Gets Third UFC on FX 4 Opponent". mmaweekly.com. May 30, 2012. Retrieved May 30, 2012.
- "Rick Story says he's fighting Demian Maia at UFC 153 in Rio de Janeiro". mmajunkie.com. 31 July 2012.
- "Sean Pierson vs. Rick Story added to UFC 158 in Montreal". MMAjunkie.com. January 8, 2013.
- Sousa, Jonas (2013-02-05). "Pierson out; Quinn Mulhern faces Rick Story at UFC 158". imperiomma.com. Retrieved 2013-02-05.
- Staff (April 10, 2013). "Rick Story replaces Gunnar Nelson, meets Mike Pyle at UFC 160". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved April 10, 2013.
- Staff (September 8, 2013). "Brian Ebersole meets Rick Story at UFC 167 in Las Vegas". mmajunkie.com. Retrieved September 8, 2013.
- "Kelvin Gastelum gets wish, meets Rick Story at UFC 171 in Dallas". 2014-01-03. 2014-01-03.