|Town of Rico, Colorado|
|Motto: A slice of paradise|
Location in Dolores County and the state of Colorado
|State||State of Colorado|
|Incorporated (town)||February 25, 1880|
|• Type||Home Rule Municipality|
|• Mayor||Gregg Anderson|
|• Total||0.8 sq mi (2 km2)|
|• Land||0.8 sq mi (2 km2)|
|• Water||0 sq mi (0 km2)|
|Elevation||8,825 ft (2,690 m)|
|• Density||256.3/sq mi (102.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||0204670|
|Website||Town of Rico|
Rico is an incorporated small town in Dolores County, Colorado, United States. It was settled in 1879 as a silver mining center in the Pioneer Mining District; today, it functions as an historic and tourism site. The population was 200 and its total land area was 0.8 square miles (2.1 km2), per the 2010 American census, and its current form of government is that of a Home Rule Municipality.
|This section is empty. You can help by adding to it. (August 2014)|
Rico is located at (37.692095, -108.030839).
As of the census of 2000, there were 205 people, 104 households, and 47 families residing in the town. The population density was 268.0 people per square mile (102.8/km²). There were 197 housing units at an average density of 257.5 per square mile (98.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 92.68% White, 2.93% Native American, 1.95% Asian, 0.98% from other races, and 1.46% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.93% of the population.
There were 104 households out of which 18.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 37.5% were married couples living together, 4.8% had a female householder with no husband present, and 54.8% were non-families. 39.4% of all households were made up of individuals and 3.8% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 1.97 and the average family size was 2.62.
In the town the population was spread out with 15.1% under the age of 18, 8.8% from 18 to 24, 50.7% from 25 to 44, 22.0% from 45 to 64, and 3.4% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 35 years. For every 100 females there were 144.0 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 148.6 males.
The median income for a household in the town was $36,667, and the median income for a family was $55,625. Males had a median income of $31,806 versus $23,750 for females. The per capita income for the town was $21,920. About 13.2% of families and 13.8% of the population were below the poverty line, including 23.3% of those under the age of eighteen and none of those sixty five or over.
- Outline of Colorado
- State of Colorado
- San Juan Mountains
- San Juan Skyway National Scenic Byway
- "Active Colorado Municipalities". State of Colorado, Department of Local Affairs. Retrieved 2007-09-01.
- "Colorado Municipal Incorporations". State of Colorado, Department of Personnel & Administration, Colorado State Archives. 2004-12-01. Retrieved 2007-09-02.
- "Boards and Commissions". Rico Colorado. Retrieved 2007-12-24.
- "US Board on Geographic Names". United States Geological Survey. 2007-10-25. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Rico, Colorado.|
- Town of Rico website
- "A Rico renaissance" by Marty Durlin, High Country News, February 18, 2008