March 13, 1953 |
Glen Cove, New York, USA
Ridley Pearson, born on March 13, 1953 in Glen Cove, New York, is an author of suspense and thriller novels for adults, and adventure books for children. Some of his books have appeared on the The New York Times Best Seller list.
Pearson's novels for adults include: novels featuring characters John Knox & Grace Chu--The Risk Agent (2012); novels featuring the character Walt Fleming--In Harm's Way (2010), Killer Summer (2009), Killer View (2008), and Killer Weekend (2007); novels featuring the character Lou Boldt and Daphne Matthews--The Body of David Hayes (2004), The Art of Deception (2002), Middle of Nowhere (2000), The First Victim (1999), The Pied Piper (1998), Beyond Recognition (1997), No Witnesses (1994), The Angel Maker (1993), and Undercurrents (1988).
Standalone novels include: Cut and Run (2005), The Diary of Ellen Rimbauer (2001)--(under the pseudonym of Joyce Readon, Ph.D), Parallel Lies (2001), Chain of Evidence (1995), Hard Fall (1992), Probable Cause (1990), The Seizing of Yankee Green Mall (1987), Blood of the Albatross (1986), and Never Look Back (1985). Ridley also wrote three Chris Klick mysteries under the pseudonym of Wendell McCall.
To describe how Peter Pan met Captain Hook, Ridley teamed up with his long-time friend, humorist Dave Barry, to co-author Peter and the Starcatchers (2004), a prequel to Peter Pan; it is published in the US by Disney and by Walker Books in the UK. The novel was adapted as a play, Peter and the Starcatcher, written by Rick Elice, which premiered on Broadway at the Brooks Atkinson Theatre in early 2012, and earned the most Tony nominations of any play in history— nine. The play received five Tony awards at the ceremony on June 10, 2012. Pearson and Barry have produced three additional prequels – Peter and the Shadow Thieves (2006), Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (2007), and Peter and the Sword of Mercy (2009). Another Peter-related book published by the duo is Bridge to Neverland (2011).
Also for Disney, Pearson has written a series of novels set inside Disney theme parks, called The Kingdom Keepers, in which five teenagers battle the Overtakers—the evil Disney villains—to keep the parks safe. Book 1: The Kingdom Keepers: Disney After Dark (2005) takes place in the Magic Kingdom; Book 2: The Kingdom Keepers: Disney at Dawn(2008) takes place in the Animal Kingdom; Book 3: The Kingdom Keepers: Disney in Shadow (2010) takes place in Epcot; Book 4: The Kingdom Keepers: Power Play (2011) takes place in Disney's Hollywood Studios; Book 5:The Kingdom Keepers: Shell Game (2012) takes place on the cruise ship—Disney Dream. Book 6: The Kingdom Keepers: Dark Passage (2013) also takes place on the Disney Dream. Book 7 will end the series in Disneyland.
Pearson has also written Steel Trapp: The Challenge (2008) and Steel Trapp: The Academy (2010).
Also with Dave Barry, Ridley Pearson has written Science Fair (2008) and three Never Land books: Escape from the Carnivale (2006), Cave of the Dark Wind (2007), and Blood Tide (2008).
Pearson was raised by his parents, Robert and Betsy Pearson, in Riverside, Connecticut, along with his siblings, Bradbury and Wendy. He was educated at the Pomfret School, the University of Kansas, and Brown University. He lived in Shanghai, China from summer 2008 to summer 2009, but returned to the US. His residence is in Saint Louis, Missouri, with his wife, Marcelle, and their two daughters Paige and Storey.
He also has played bass guitar and sung for the Rock Bottom Remainders, a band of published authors whose 20-year stint ended in June 2012.
He runs a website called Kingdom Keepers insider, where visitors help make the 7th book.
- The Risk Agent - John Knox/Grace Chu Series (2012)
- In Harm's Way - Walt Fleming Series (2010)
- Killer Summer - Walt Fleming Series (2009)
- Killer View - Walt Fleming Series (2008)
- Killer Weekend - Walt Fleming Series (2007)
- Cut and Run. New York: Hyperion. 2005. ISBN 0-7868-6726-4.
- The Body Of David Hayes - Boldt/Matthews Series (2004)
- The Art Of Deception - Boldt/Matthews Series (2002)
- Parallel Lies. New York: Hyperion. 2001. ISBN 0-7868-6564-4.
- as Joyce Reardon, Ph.D. (2001). The Diary Of Ellen Rimbauer. New York: Hyperion. ISBN 0-7868-6801-5.
- Middle Of Nowhere - Boldt/Matthews Series (2000)
- The First Victim - Boldt/Matthews Series (1999)
- The Pied Piper - Boldt/Matthews Series (1998)
- Beyond Recognition - Boldt/Matthews Series (1997)
- Chain of Evidence. New York: Hyperion. 1995. ISBN 0-7868-6172-X.
- No Witnesses - Boldt/Matthews Series (1994)
- The Angel Maker - Boldt/Matthews Series (1993)
- Hard Fall. New York: Delacorte Press. 1992. ISBN 0-385-30138-3.
- Probable Cause. New York: St Martin's Press. 1990. ISBN 0-312-03914-X.
- Undercurrents - Boldt/Matthews Series (1988)
- The Seizing of Yankee Green Mall. New York: St. Martin's Press. 1987. ISBN 0-312-00703-5. (later republished as Hidden Charges)
- Blood of the Albatross. New York: St. Martin's Press. 1986. ISBN 0-312-08448-X.
- Never Look Back. New York: St. Martin's Press. 1985. ISBN 0-312-56475-9.
- Hard Listening. Palo Alto: Coliloquy. (July 2013). An interactive ebook about his participation in a writer/musician band, the Rock Bottom Remainders.
as Wendell McCall
- Concerto In Dead Flat - Chris Klick Series (1999)
- Aim For The Heart - Chris Klick Series (1990)
- Dead Aim - Chris Klick Series (1988)
Bibliography: for children
The Kingdom Keepers
- Dark Passage - New York: Disney Hyperion (2013)
- Shell Game - New York: Disney Hyperion (2012)
- Power Play - New York: Disney Hyperion (2011)
- Disney In Shadow - New York: Disney Editions (2010)
- Disney at Dawn - New York: Disney Editions (2008)
- Disney After Dark - New York: Disney Editions. Sunshine State Young Readers Award 2009, Grade 6-8 winner (2005)
Peter and the Starcatchers
- The Bridge to Neverland (with Dave Barry) (2011)
- Peter and the Sword of Mercy (with Dave Barry) (2009)
- Peter and the Secret of Rundoon (with Dave Barry) (2007)
- Peter and the Shadow Thieves (with Dave Barry) (2006)
- Peter and the Starcatchers (with Dave Barry) (2004) - New York: Disney Editions
Never Land chapter books
- Blood Tide (with Dave Barry) (2008)
- Cave Of The Dark Wind (with Dave Barry) (2007)
- Escape From The Carnivale (with Dave Barry) (2006)
- Science Fair (with Dave Barry) - New York: Disney Editions (2008)
- Pearson's bio, Ridley Pearson website
- "Hard Listening".
- Pearson's upcoming children's books page
- Official site
- Fantastic Fiction Author Page
- Interview, from the St. Louis Post-Dispatch
- 1986 audio interview of Ridley Pearson by Don Swaim of CBS Radio, RealAudio
- Interview Of Ridley Pearson on WDW Radio about Kingdom Keepers