Detroit Lions offensive tackle Riley Reiff
|No. 71 Detroit Lions|
|Date of birth:||December 1, 1988|
|Place of birth:||Parkston, South Dakota|
|Height:||6 ft 6 in (1.98 m)|
|Weight:||313 lb (142 kg)|
|High school:||Parkston (SD)|
|NFL draft:||2012 / Round: 1 / Pick: 23|
|Career highlights and awards|
Career NFL statistics as of Week 10, 2014
Stats at NFL.com
Riley Reiff (born December 1, 1988) is an American football offensive tackle for the Detroit Lions. He was one of the top ranked offensive tackles of his class and was a first-round selection in the 2012 NFL Draft.
High school career
Reiff attended Parkston High School in Parkston, South Dakota, where he was a two-way lineman. In fact, he was listed as a three-star defensive end prospect by Rivals.com in 2008. Reiff chose Iowa over offers from Minnesota and Nebraska.
After redshirting his initial year at Iowa, Reiff started 11 of 13 games on the Hawkeyes' offensive line—three at left tackle, seven at left guard and final game at right tackle. He was named third team Freshman All-America by College Football News. In his sophomore year, Reiff replaced Bryan Bulaga at left tackle, starting all 13 games of the season. He was named second team All-Big Ten by league coaches and media.
A preseason All-American, Reiff started all 13 games at left tackle in his junior season as well. He was named All-Big Ten by coaches and media, as well as All-American by Pro Football Weekly, which evaluates players on NFL prospects and draft value rather just college production. On January 4, 2012, only a few days after Iowa's loss in the 2011 Insight Bowl, Reiff announced his decision to forgo his final year of eligibility at Iowa, entering the 2012 NFL Draft.
2012 NFL Draft
Already prior to his junior season, Reiff has been projected as a potential first round NFL Draft. In October 2011, Sports Illustrated′s Tony Pauline ranked him as the No. 14 prospect on his midseason draft board. Prior to the NFL Combine in February 2012, Reiff was still perceived as a top-15 pick. At the combine, Reiff displayed decent athleticism but disappointed with his measureables; his 33 1⁄4 in (84.5 cm) arms—although longer than those of Joe Thomas (32 1⁄2 in or 82.6 cm) and Jake Long (32 7⁄8 in or 83.5 cm)—were deemed too short for an NFL left tackle. As a result, Reiff dropped out of the first round in some post-combine mock drafts. However, Mike Mayock still ranked him the No. 2 offensive tackle, behind Matt Kalil, after the combine, just as he did prior to the combine.
Reiff was drafted by the Lions at 23rd overall. He was the second of only two offensive tackles selected in the first round of the 2012 NFL Draft (behind Matt Kalil).
|Ht||Wt||Arm length||Hand size||40-yd dash||10-yd split||20-yd split||20-ss||3-cone||Vert||Broad||BP|
|6 ft 5⅝ in||313 lb||33¼ in||10⅛ in||5.23 s||4.75 s||7.87 s||26½ in||8 ft 2 in||23 reps|
|All values from NFL Combine|
Reiff's duties in his rookie campaign were limited to that of a blocking tight end/H-back. Reiff had one start at the left tackle position coming in the teams Thanksgiving Day matchup against the Houston Texans. Despite his limited role in the 2012 season Reiff was rated as the Lions top run blocker by Pro Football Focus.
After veteran Lions tackle Jeff Backus retired before the start of the 2013 season, Reiff took over his position at left tackle. He prepared for his expanded duties by adding over 12 pounds of muscle.
Riley Reiff has a younger brother, Brady Reiff—a 3-star recruit—who as of April 2014 has committed to play football at Iowa as well as a Defensive End.
- Prisco, Pete (May 1, 2011). "Flash forward: Top 32 picks for the 2012 NFL Draft". CBSSports.com.
- Pauline, Tony (May 3, 2011). "Stanford's Luck headlines early look at top 2012 draft prospects". Sports Illustrated.
- "PFW 2011 All-America team". Pro Football Weekly. December 11, 2011.
- Rittenberg, Adam (January 4, 2012). "Iowa's Riley Reiff to enter draft". ESPN.com.
- Pauline, Tony (October 24, 2011). "Andrew Luck, Trent Richardson high in midseason NFL draft rankings". SI.com.
- Banks, Don (February 22, 2012). "2012 NFL Mock Draft 2.0". SI.com.
- Silva, Evan (February 25, 2012). "Iowa’s Reiff has short arms for a left tackle". Pro Football Talk.
- Lande, Russ (March 1, 2012). "Mock draft: Memphis' Dontari Poe moves into top 10". Sporting News.
- "NFL Draft coming into focus". Fox News. March 6, 2012.
- Mayock, Mike (March 5, 2012). "Post-combine position rankings for 2012 NFL Draft". NFL.com.
- Mayock, Mike (February 14, 2012). "Pre-combine position rankings for 2012 NFL Draft". NFL.com.
- Groten, Perry (July 20, 2008). "Parkston Football Star Arrested In Iowa". Keloland.