Rossmo in 2012
Cowboy Ninja Viking
Riley Rossmo is a Canadian comic book artist and illustrator, known for his work on various Image Comics titles, as well as Marvel Comics' Daken: Dark Wolverine. Originally from Saskatoon, SK, Rossmo now lives in Calgary, AB and is a sessional instructor at the Alberta College of Art and Design.
His first comic book work was a collaboration with writer Alex Grecian on Seven Sons, a graphic novel based on a Chinese folk legend. In 2007, he started work on Proof, also with Alex Grecian. Later, he collaborated with writer A.J. Lieberman on Cowboy Ninja Viking (2008–2011). Despite featuring a violent action story about an assassin with multiple personalities, Disney purchased film rights to the story, assigning writers Rhett Reese and Paul Wernick to write a screenplay.
In March, 2011, Rossmo's first issue of Green Wake, with writer Kurtis J. Wiebe, was released. For Green Wake Rossmo adopted a limited palette, using different colors to indicate different times or states of reality in the narrative. Despite critical success, sales flagged after the second issue leading Rossmo and Wiebe to end the series early. They have since announced that they are working together again on a mini-series titled Debris to be published in July, 2012.
Rebel Blood is a horror comic about an infectious disease outbreak that affects both humans and animals. Published in March, 2012, this was the first comic that credited Rossmo as a writer. Co-written with Alex Link, the remote wilderness setting in the story was influenced by Rossmo's experiences canoeing at Waskesui.
Rossmo and Alex Link are collaborating again on Drumhellar (originally titled Strangeways), released by Image Comics' Shadowline, with issue 1 released in November 2013.
- Proof (October 2007-2012, with Alex Grecian):
- Volume 1: Goatsucker (tpb, June 2008, 128 pages, ISBN 978-1-58240-944-3)
- Book 2: The Company of Men (tpb, December 2008, 128 pages, ISBN 978-1-60706-017-8)
- Book 3: Thunderbirds Are Go! (tpb, July, 2009, 144 pages, ISBN 978-1-60706-134-2)
- Book 4: Julia (tpb, July, 2010, 128 pages, ISBN 978-1-60706-285-1)
- Book 5: Blue Fairies (tpb, December, 2010, 128 pages, ISBN 978-1-60706-348-3)
- Book 6: Endangered (tpb, June, 2011, 128 pages, ISBN 978-1-60706-391-9)
- Cowboy Ninja Viking (October 2009-2010, with A.J. Lieberman):
- Green Wake (April 2011-February 2012, with Kurtis J. Wiebe):
- Rebel Blood (March 2012-June 2012, with Alex Link):
- Debris (July 2012-October 2012, with Kurtis J. Wiebe):
- Bedlam #1-6 (October 2012-April 2013, with Nick Spencer, Image Comics):
- Dia de Los Muertos (February 2013-May 2013, with Alex Link, Christopher Long, Dirk Manning, Jeff Mariotte, Ed Brisson, Joshua Williamson, Kurtis Wiebe, Joe Keatinge and Alexander Grecian):
- Daken: Dark Wolverine #10-12 (Big Break), #13-15 (Moonwalk) #21-23 (Lost Weekend) (June 2011-May 2012):
- "The proof is out there", The Calgary Herald, October 24, 2007, accessed June 29, 2011.
- "Proof on paper that Bigfoot exists", The Edmonton Journal, October 28, 2007, accessed June 29, 2011.
- Kit, Borys. "Disney Gets Three-For-One With 'Cowboy Ninja Viking'", The Hollywood Reporter, November 7, 2010, accessed June 29, 2011.
- Truitt, Brian. "'Green Wake' introduces a colorfully creepy town", USA Today, March 18, 2011, accessed June 29, 2011.
- "Kurtis J. Wiebe Shuffles Through the 'Debris'", Comic Book Resources, April 25, 2012, accessed May 6, 2012.
- McCoy, Heath. "Calgary comic book Rebel Blood oozes infections, zombies", Calgary Herald, March 14, 2012, accessed May 6, 2012.
- Richards, Ron , Image Comics, August 18, 2013, accessed November 21, 2013
- Truitt, Brian. "Ales Kot plots youthful rebellion in 'Wild Children'", USA Today, April 17, 2012, accessed May 6, 2012.
- Rossmo, Riley. "Cover-Op – Riley Rossmo on the New Mutants of Sienkiewicz", Gestalt Mash, August 26, 2010, accessed June 29, 2011.
- Riley Rossmo at the Comic Book DB