Rincon, New Mexico
|Rincon, New Mexico|
Location of Rincon, New Mexico
|• Total||1.0 sq mi (2.7 km2)|
|• Land||1.0 sq mi (2.7 km2)|
|• Water||0.0 sq mi (0.0 km2)|
|Elevation||4,068 ft (1,240 m)|
|• Density||213.6/sq mi (82.5/km2)|
|Time zone||Mountain (MST) (UTC-7)|
|• Summer (DST)||MDT (UTC-6)|
|GNIS feature ID||0920673|
Rincon is a census-designated place (CDP) in Doña Ana County, New Mexico, in the United States. As of the 2010 census, the CDP population was 271. It is part of the Las Cruces Metropolitan Statistical Area.
According to the United States Census Bureau, the CDP has a total area of 1.0 square mile (2.6 km2), all of it land.
As of the census of 2000, there were 220 people, 60 households, and 55 families residing in the CDP. The population density was 213.6 people per square mile (82.5/km²). There were 65 housing units at an average density of 63.1 per square mile (24.4/km²). The racial makeup of the CDP was 45.00% White, 2.73% Native American, 51.82% from other races, and 0.45% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 87.27% of the population.
There were 60 households out of which 48.3% had children under the age of 18 living with them, 71.7% were married couples living together, 13.3% had a female householder with no husband present, and 8.3% were non-families. 8.3% of all households were made up of individuals and 6.7% had someone living alone who was 65 years of age or older. The average household size was 3.67 and the average family size was 3.76.
In the CDP the population was spread out with 37.3% under the age of 18, 9.1% from 18 to 24, 22.7% from 25 to 44, 20.9% from 45 to 64, and 10.0% who were 65 years of age or older. The median age was 31 years. For every 100 females there were 86.4 males. For every 100 females age 18 and over, there were 97.1 males.
The median income for a household in the CDP was $18,929, and the median income for a family was $18,068. Males had a median income of $15,972 versus $11,250 for females. The per capita income for the CDP was $7,572. About 18.9% of families and 31.7% of the population were below the poverty line, including 35.7% of those under the age of eighteen and 42.9% of those sixty five or over.
Rincon is 33 miles north of Las Cruces, New Mexico, on Interstate 25, and approximately 20 miles south of Spaceport America, a new purpose-built spaceport being built by the New Mexico Spaceport Authority with State and county funding. Spaceport construction has generated some 800 temporary jobs on the site, but some Rincon residents have been skeptical that the spaceport will generate as many jobs in the long term as supporters claimed in the runup to public funding. As of January 2012[update], one company, Virgin Galactic, plans to employ about 150 persons at the spaceport site.
- "US Gazetteer files: 2010, 2000, and 1990". United States Census Bureau. 2011-02-12. Retrieved 2011-04-23.
- "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau. Retrieved 2008-01-31.
- Mac, Ryan (2011-08-11). "Spaceflights From New Mexico Desert Depend on New Jobs". Bloomberg News. Retrieved 2012-01-16.
- Roberts, Chris (2010-10-23). "New era draws closer: Spaceport dedicates runway on New Mexico ranch". El Paso Times. Retrieved 2011-01-16. "two-thirds of the $212 million required to build the spaceport came from the state of New Mexico... The rest came from construction bonds backed by a tax approved by voters in Doña Ana and Sierra counties."
- Alba Soular, Diana (2012-01-16). "Virgin Galactic's Butler builds NM operation". Las Cruces Sun-News. Retrieved 2012-01-14. ""In [the Las Cruces] office, we're likely to have about 20 people. And at the spaceport - it's hard to be precise at this point - but in the region of 150 direct jobs. Of course, the contractors we'll take on is a much bigger number.""